1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello, Punto won my selection battle!

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by puntofreak, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Congrats on getting home Red Hot Fiat Punto,
    do post loads of pics,
    happy miles.
  2. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wanted to start an ownership thread, but......

The happiest moment in my life did not last long.......

My 5 days old car met with a small accident but the impact was huge. Was driving on NH at around 80km/hr. Suddenly a dog came infront and crashed just above the left fog lamp. Impact: damaged bumper, damaged radiator and coolant leakage. sorry i do not feel punto body is so strong. I do agree that bumpers are made of fibers/plastic, however the impact should not have been like this.....
  3. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wanted to start an ownership thread, but......

The happiest moment in my life did not last long.......

My 5 days old car met with a small accident but the impact was huge. Was driving on NH at around 80km/hr. Suddenly a dog came infront and crashed just above the left fog lamp. Impact: damaged bumper, damaged radiator and coolant leakage. sorry i do not feel punto body is so strong. I do agree that bumpers are made of fibers/plastic, however the impact should not have been like this.....

Took my car to a service station by filling water in radiator, did not claim insurance. The service station was around 100 kms away, but anyhow managed. Changed raditor. It costed me Rs.6,300/- including collant and labour charge. Dealer quoted front bumper @ Rs.8000 including painting. I did not opt for replacement and but repaired (fiber weilding) it in some local shop. It costed me Rs.1200 including labour charge. I am satisfied with his job and cracks are hardly visible. Now, I have planned for a paint job for the bumper during my first service.

Sad story for a new car.

Mods please delete my previous post as it is a repetition of first few line of this post
  4. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This forums seems inactive now-a-days.........:confused:
    1 person likes this.
  5. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Considering that you hit an object weighing approx 25kg at around 80kmph, I would say the damage is actually very reasonable (if not minimal). I don't know how strong you were expecting a Punto to be, but you do have to remember, at the end of the day its still only a car, not a tank. ;)
  6. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the two most important body parts of a car i.e the front and back bumpers which are most prone to accidents are weak then which part of the car is strong? I am not against the punto as I already own it. I love the way the car handles, I love the suspension, the high speed stability and almost everything. However I am just complaining about the weaker bumpers. The front protection in punto is so poorly managed, my car's radiator was damaged just due to this small impact. In Indian roads you will find dogs everywhere so should I drive at 30 kmph?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. ratish

ratish Timido

Even this happened on my punto. The radiator duct just behind the plastic bumber is a weak spot definetly. We have to write this to fiat. But bumbers cannot be made stronger as they are made to take the impact and crack if heavy.

Sent from my Lenovo A369i using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    I have 2 personal instances to quote:
    1. http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-3-mjd/6116-new-oil-burner-block-5.html
    2. This happened on 4 Jan 2014, on my way from Kochi - Bangalore with my Linea traveling at close to 80kmph on NH 47 on the speed lane with 4 pax took a hit from an Innova which cut me from the left side at horrible speeds. The driver of the innova himself admitted that he had no other choice but to cut as, if he had braked it would have been a disaster. During the collision, linea dint even move an inch apart from from the slight shudder . The front left side wheel arch and bumper needs to be painted after dent rectification which is the least an impact like that can cause. I can't imagine what would have been the situation if it was a maruti or a honda with the median on my right side:eek:

Linea cushioned the impact so well that my little daughter who is just 5 months old sleeping safely in my wife's arms didnt even realize what happened. With that incident, i swore by Fiats build like tank reputation.

Please do not take a dog hit lightly as this animal can cause serious damage to the car. You will not be saying the same thing if you were driving a Maruti Swift and i am sure the implications would have been more serious.

To add read Post #3089: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-206.html#post1422879

You are much safer in a punto/linea that a swift/i20 :)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    As Ratish pointed it out, bumpers are designed to absorb impacts. The fact that nothing serious happened in your case is testimony to the fact that the bumper did its job.
    A radiator cannot be placed anywhere else. It needs cool air to function efficiently.
    This is one of the safest cars you could possibly buy at that price. Don't take a dog hit lightly. There are many worse scenarios that could have arisen, not least being that the car could have toppled.
    Thank your stars that nothing major happened.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014