1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello, Punto won my selection battle!

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by puntofreak, Oct 6, 2013.

1. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. Have been doing intelligence on cars since the day I came to Delhi. Now it is too much research for me and need to finalize. I commute between Delhi and Gurgaon frequently. As per my daily travel requirement I have already decided to go for diesel. My budget is around 7.0 Lacs and based on that I have finalized following cars.

1. Volkswagen Polo Comfortline
    2. Hyundai i20 Sportz
    3. Ford Figo Titanium
    4. Swift VDi
    5. Fiat Punto Emotion/Sports

Now starting from car no 1 to 4, I had selected and rejected one by one and finalized car no 5. Here is why?

Before writing anything about cars, let me confess one thing. I am a new driver and I do not own a car right now. I have driven Hyundai Santro and Chevrolet Spark of my relatives few times. Both are petrol cars. Hence I do not know much about driving dynamics, handling, power difference etc. of cars.

Now about my rejection and selection (Note: all on-road prices given below are already bargained to make final)

Polo Comfortline (7.4 Lac on-road): Rejected

Honestly speaking, before stepping inside a car and driving, what matters the most for me is a car’s exterior look. Polo’s look, I liked the most. Next comes Punto, i20 and then Swift. I liked interior of polo too. However it is too pricey with limited features. Polo’s diesel engine does not have many good feedbacks too. I have no choice but to reject it.

i20 Sportz (Never asked for price): Rejected

i20 is one of the best cars in terms of features, space and looks. It has got the best interiors among all the cars I have selected. But the feedbacks about its steering, suspension are not good atall. In many forums I have seen lots of complaints about the car. Enough reason to get rejected.

Figo Titanium (7.0 Lac on-road): Rejected

This is a value for money cay. Titanium model, it has all good features. Engine is also good. But the only issue is the looks. I cannot digest it. I would have booked a Figo, if it had some acceptable exterior look.

Swift VDi (6.4 Lac on-road): Rejected

The best-selling car. People may say it is very common on roads, but I would say it is the best car hence it is common. I think feature to price package of VDi model is excellent. I had taken TDs of Swift and Punto inside city and I liked the Swift, though I donot know much about driving. The driver and driver side passenger seating position is better in Swift compared to Punto. Swift has the option to fit audio system of your choice and the Maruti provided optional factory fitted sound system’s sound is much better if compared with Punto’s stock sound system. However safety features like ABS is absent Swift VDi and tyres are very thin. I do not know if I require these as my max speed of travelling on roads would hardly exceed 100km/hr. Another big negative of swift is the boot. I could not understand how not Maruti engineers could find space for more boot, when a comparatively smaller vehicle like Figo could manage to do that. Not many reasons, but rejected it for Punto.

Punto Emotion (7.3 Lac on-road) / Punto Sports (7.8 Lac on-road): Selected

The only car where it is hard to find any problem. Literally I have searched “Punto Problem” in Google, but could not find many except the dull interior complaint. Almost all the forums have rated Punto high above others. Now the looks. In my books it is next to Polo. But the Sports version, I would rate better than polo. In my views, the Punto Sports red is the best looking hatch currently available in the market. Punto has enough interior and boot space. A good handler, widest tires, ABS in mid variants, an excellent choice at an excellent price. One issue is the driver and driver side passenger sitting position. It is not comfortable in Punto. I think because of the protruding position of the audio unit I found it a bit uncomfortable. I think in the long run I will get used to it.

Initially I thought of a Dynamic model, which is a good value for money proposition with ABS, but I found Emotion model to be way better than this. But when I visited Fiat Caffe to have a look at Punto, I could not resist myself admiring Punto Sport 2013 model (red). A real head turner. And for those who complain about Punto interior, just go and see the sports version. I found it way better than the Emotion model and even better than Swift and Polo interiors.
    Frankly, the interior of Dynamic/Emotion model is not good. I think the interior colour combinations make it look dull. The sound system is not good atall. It has got some boring look too. During the test drive, I listened to some songs and I found it like coming from some old Phillips radio. I hope I can upgrade the speakers for good sound, but not sure about the improvement in sound quality only by changing speakers and put some seat covers matching to the dashboard for better interior looks.

Now the dilemma is which model to go for. Emotion or Sports? Sports interior and exterior are better than Emotion. I am in love with it. Performance I hope would be better. Emotion is around 30k additional to my budget and Sports is around 80k additional to my budget. Many in this forum are suggesting to go for Sports version in different threads. But additional 50k would increase my EMI. Does it worth it as I do not actually need that extra power, apart from the stunning looks. I want to book the car during this festive season. Please help me guys. Thank you.
  2. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have got no suggestions, hence I assume that
    1. Nobody is reading the whole thing as I have written an essay :)
    2. I have written some of my disliking for punto, hence nobody wants to hear that :(
    3. There are many threads available about deciding between emotion or sports variant :confused:
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi there. TFI supports bouquets and brickbats for FIAT in equal measure. :)

As for Sports vs Emotion, are you trying to make a choice between 90hp and Sport or 76hp Emotion and Sport?

Cheers.
  4. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As per the sales guy at Fiat Caffe, currently 4 versions of Punto diesel are available: Active, Dynamic, Emotion & Sports. Punto Sports is 90hp and rest others are 76hp. I have seen these 4 versions only in their stockyard. I have to decide between Emotion & Sports.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. @Romeo

@Romeo Novizio

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Puntofreak, if your driving is going to be more on highways or open road where you can push your baby to the limits, just close your eyes and book a 90 HP (Sports). Or else Emotion would do. Anyways you can find a lot of discussion about merits and demerits of 90 HP in various threads.

And about driving style : You will find your min speed 100 kmphr on open roads any day when you own Italian beauty.:-D
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There is the normal 90hp Emotion variant as well. So you can either choose 90hp Emotion or 90hp Sport. Or just a normal 76hp Emotion as well.

Here's a screen from the FIAT website
    fiatweb.JPG
    1 person likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    As Gurjinder said, there are two variants available for 90HP -Emotion & sports. The basic difference between the two & available in Sports variant are:
    Sporty Rear Spolier
    Contrast (Red) coloured ORVM on New Pearl White Colour
    Contrast (Black) coloured ORVM on Exotica Red Colour
    Sporty Decal
    Chrome Exhaust Finisher
    Black Coloured Roof
    If you are OK with the additional cost for Sports, you should go for it. If you are short of Vit M, then I would suggest stick to the 75 HP emotion variant. It does whats required from a Punto.
  8. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you.
    Actually I have got the price list where there is no mention of Emotion 90hp version. Hence I was confused. I will give a final thought regarding model selection this weekend. Now it is Emotion 76hp-60% and Sports 90hp-40%.
  9. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Booked a Punto MJD Emotion today.

I have asked the dealer to give me delivery around mid-November; date as per my choice. Just confused about colour. Taken two days time from them to confirm colour.

Red - My Choice
    White - My wife's choice

Some of my friends are suggesting that red colour looks good when new, but colour fade may be seen in long run. What do you say?
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Congrats puntofreak on booking Punto MJD Emotion.Red colour wont become dull if you keep polishing it regularly.Colour is your choice.Red looks Hot on Punto whereas White looks Elegant & Classy on Punto.
    1 person likes this.