1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello guys! Soon to be a Punto owner maybe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Amey Gokhale, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    This is my first on this forum. I have been doing research about diesel hatchbacks since I am in the market for one. Having already owned a Swift VDi I am not new to the 1.3 MJD and must say, loved it. Wanted a good handling and stable car and among all the current crop of diesel hatches, found the Punto to be one which would offer me that.
    Still in a bit of a dilemma whether to go for the 75 Hp Emotion Pack or the 90 Hp variant.
    Anyway assuming I would end up buying one of the two most probably, looking forward to a fun time here.

Cheers!
    Amey
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Welcome to TFI.
    Good to see a Swift owner migrating to a Punto. However, don't get me wrong but Punto is not for everyone.
    Why do you think Punto is better for you compared to the Swift?
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Welcome to TFI.

Punto 90 would be a perfect replacement for you. Just go for it.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Go for 90HP. Nothing close to it to compare. One may find couple of others on a ideal straight line road. But in all realtime situation punto had set a class not occupied by any other cars.In three different situations the driver will experience the following emotions

City :D
    Highway :eek:
    Ghat sections :shocked:drinks

Overall you will be :dancing:dance
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

90 HP all the way.
    Awesome driving position, the huge dashboard, big raked front windshield, insanely sturdy sheets & impact beams cocconing & that VGT cub growoling behind the dashboard, Feels like you are taking off. Brakes don't fade in 45 deg heat@175 after hrs of drving & absolutely drills the road. Car doesn't lose even 1 inch of traction. Chilling AC, amazing steering & out of the world exteriors!! Rest of the stuff appears an absolute joke.

Go for it, it makes driving fun & you cruise with avg. speeds better than more powerful cars without any extra effort.
  6. A small correction there, I am not migrating from a Swift. I loved the Swift for its handling and agility,still miss it sometimes. It doesn't make sense buying the same car again,everyone wants something new,that's more why I don't want a Swift anymore.
    Why do you say Punto is not for everyone ?

It is expensive than the 75 hp one and by a margin of close to 40k which is a lot. This is going to be more of a city car and less of a highway runner. In city why would I need a 90 hp vehicle ? I am sure it packs a lot of punch,not denying that,just confused as to whether its really worth paying the extra and will it be really needed.

Handling is why I am keen on the Punto. Had a straight line monster :)

What does ambient temp. have to do with brakes fading ? :confused:
    Cruising with average speeds better than more powerful cars! :eek: Like ?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The 75 is as capable as the 90 in most of the situations one can encounter during normal driving.

I've driven the 75 one quite a bit and loved every bit of it. Never did i find the power lacking.

Ofcourse, if the 90 fits in your budget, then go for it. But don't expect a day and night difference between the two. It's very subtle.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. True. Plan to get a remap later on and after that maybe adjustable Bilsteins.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Thats one honest opinion Gurjinder bhai :)
    I can vouch for what you have said. I happen to drive 90HP of Probiker, both with and without a tuning box. And also kind of raced with him in a meet. I really didnot find much difference with handling and speeds in city driving, only marginal. On a highway it may be a complete different story. Yet to experience it.

@ Amay : You can go for 75 HP Emotion and can get a remap done as you have mentioned. And now with the availabilty of Punto Sports only and not the original 90HP, you will have to part with more money than you expected (40k).
  10. You mean to say that a normal 90 hp variant has been discontinued and only the sports version is available ? I didn't know that. If this is true,then its a bit odd because their website still shows 2 variants available in the 90 Hp version, the normal one and the new Sports.

This would be my first Fiat vehicle till date so its obvious that I have no experience of owning a Fiat vehicle. Keeping this things in mind, could you guys guide me as to what do I need to keep in mind when owning a Fiat vehicle ?