1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello from a Fiat fanatic to one and all !!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by amitp, Apr 12, 2012.

1. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hi All,

After going through a few auto forums, finally decided to register here for the following reasons

1. Sincerely planning to get a GP 1.3 90 HP (against the advice of a sea of friends, relatives etc) as there is a feeling that I know something about cars
    2. Knowledge (about Fiat cars), sincerity and simplicity on this forum
    3. Automated rejection reply when applied for membership on another auto forum that I would keep from mentioning
    Hoping to have a Fiat once again in the house (as the last one that we owned was sold about 7 years back) which will accompany the Hyundai that we currently have as the only car

Also hope that I can reply to some posts and add value to this forum

Cheers !!!

2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3

"Aap ayein Bahar ayein"
    Welcome bro!

Only one can say "Admiration Guaranteed" ;) from Teamfiat (Courtesy: Linea T-jet)
  3. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

:clap Welcome to Fiat Family Buddy :steering:car

Where are you from Amit ?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

5. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hello Gurjinder,

It is overwhelming for me that a Mod I personally felt has valueable posts across this forum has replied to my introduction.

Thanks for giving a link to the colours available. Real snaps are better as against what can be seen in a brochure / advertisement.

Since I am unaware of where to post my query, kindly redirect it to where it should be.

My decision to buy a new Punto has a query on which it hinges and also the options that are available to me which I shall discuss once we go over the query.

Fiat in India has had a launch or two every year since they have made a come-back with the Linea and the GP. The T Jet is out of production for some time and is hopefully in for some changes soon. Also the 2012 90 HP seems like it just got the suspension change over what it originally was. So the question is

Will the 90 HP (1.3 MJD) get the M20 as against the C510 (both are gearboxes, 6 speed and 5 speed respectively), the 16 inch rims and all four discs which it duly deserves? The GP Sport 1.3 MJD 90 HP had these when it made way for the Punto Evo.

Fiat seems like it will not get the MJD 2 in India anytime soon. Also if I were to ask them if there are any plans of them getting the 105 HP 1.3 MJD (which was doing duty on the outgoing Lancia Ypsilon till 2011 and would fit in the BS 4 pollution norms) without the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), the answer would probably be that they make cars for the masses and not really for enthusiasts like me. (SIAM reports would rather say that FIAT makes cars for the classes, which buy cars with decisions of the heart)

I am ready to wait if we are going to get those specs as currently I have a bike as well as a car for my ongoing needs. I plan to buy the Mighty 90 for the enthusiast in me. Kindly let me know your thoughts before I present to you the other options that I have.

6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The Punto 90hp refresh has been in the talks for a long while now. At the January launch event of the 2012 vehicles i had posed this same query to the FIAT top brass as to what changes can we expect in the T-Jet and the 90hp models. They simply replied that there are few plans in the pipeline.

All the changes can be known only when the actual 90hp refresh models come out, if at all they do. I would not expect the 6 speed to make an entry here. Generally, the flagship models carry all the top features, and in this case, the Linea Multijet lacks the 6 speed 'box.

What we can expect in the 90hp refresh model is :
    -Auto headlamp+wipers
    As they can be carried from the Linea. To counter the latest i20.

As for the 6 speed box, we must see if it's a necessity or a luxury in the Punto.

If you will do a thorough TD of the 90hp, you will find that it's a luxury. The 5 speeder serves the purpose well, unless one intends to do some very high speed long range cruising ( 140+) . i20 has to have 6 speeds to counter the turbo lag - shorter ratios so as to keep the engine in the powerband. The turbo is a FGT one , and hence the turbo is laggy, performance peaky. The gearbox of the i20 is surely a joy to use, but the turbo lag is pretty much the deal breaker.

The Punto VGT's power is more spread out and does not need a workout of the gears to keep it in power. The VGT makes sure gear changes remain bare minimum.

Also, i20 D top model is already at a premium of ~18,000 rupees ( Chandigarh ex showroom) over the present 90hp. Factor in the probable discounts/freebies and the difference is bound to get higher.

Multijet 2 can raise costs and in a market like India, it's not really needed either. As you can yourself see, the present Multijet is able to meet the Indian emission standards without a DPF. In Europe, with ever tightening emission standards, Multijet 2 was bound to arrive sooner or later. India can wait though.

Mr. Kapoor flatly refused the entry of 1.6 Multijet in the Indian market, so Multijet 2 is far, far away.

2 people like this.
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Welcome Amitp.
    Good decision taken and will have a great time with the Fiat and with us.