1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello Fiatians!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sunilguli, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Because the engine is new, the pistons and the gears will have more friction. More speed means more friction and more friction means early wear and tear. Thats why the automobile company asks the drivers to take it easy during the first few thousand kms. This is why the run in period is done when a new car is bought. But this isn the same for super cars. They can rip it off from day 1 but still, the company asks the supercar drivers to take it easy for few 1000 kms for the reason that the driver should get accustomed to the enormous power those cars develop. But many mechanics abroad don't believe in run in and they are of the opinion that engines don't need run in after just few 100 kms. They have proved that their automobiles produce more power when compared to normal run-in'ed automobiles and they have even proved it. Lots and lots of discussions regarding this run-in is going on still in this world
  2. shams

shams Esperto

do you have any reliable source of this information? This is not mentioned in Fiat manuals. Is it mentioned in owner's manual of any other brand?
    My understanding is that engines are already runned in!
  3. engines are supposed to be runned in from factory only but I doubt if they follow that in india. So, to be on the safer side, its better to take it slow for atleast 500 kms and then, it can be ripped the way we want. Its usually not mentioned in car manuals but it will be always mentioned in bike manuals. It all depends on the owner's mind. If he believes that car needs to be driven slow for a 1000 kms, its better that he drive slow. But i don't believe in run-in. I have an R15 and i ve been red lining it ever since i completed 100 kms on the odo. its been 3 yrs.. still, my bike touches > 140 kmph and gives a decent mileage of 40 kmpl. Everything is in maintenance and the quality of the engines.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

All engines, yes even Indian, have to be tested and are run for some amount of time, even before they go in the car.

That said, the engine alone does not make the car. Even your tyres need running in and will reach their optimal performance when the release agent is worn off, say after about 500 kms. The gear box will be brand new and the gears will need to grind themselves against each other, before they reach optimum operational tolerances. Hence it is wise to take it easy for the first few thousand kilometres, till all the components work well together smoothly.

Nevertheless, doing 175 is not good - even in a old car :D

5. 100% empty road, bangalore-pune national highway, arrow straight pitch black roads, 1 incredible hatchback.. too hard to resist not to do a high speed test run.. :p