1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello Fiatians!! Planning for Punto Active MJD but have few questions?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by raajravi17, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Hello Fiatians,

Happy to join the family. I am planning to buy my first new car, previously owned Alto. I am few concerns about punto can anyone help me in my decision between Punto vs Figo vs Swift !!!

Punto:
    I absolutely like the looks and the sturdiness of the car. But i have few concers. Foot well is somehow not comfortable for me and also i found there is a turbo lag in the 1st and 2nd gears when compared to figo and swift. So will this affect in the city drives coz i will be primarily using inside city?

Active or Emotion:
    I dont want to go for loans and my budget is 5.5 - 6 L, I found many of them suggesting to go for emotion variant coz of ABS in it. Is it important to have a ABS in place?

ASS: I have heard some horror stories of ASS of Fiat and i wouild like to knoe from you guys about the service in Chennai area?

Booking: As it is october should i book my new car on Jan to get the advantage of 2012 booking?

Looking for your suggestions on above questions :cool:
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Punto's front seats are really comfy and accommodating. The rear seats are a bit cramped if you've anyone above 5'10" sitting in the front drivers seat. Regarding the Turbo lag Figo is the clear winner, but has a short rev range and will loose on top end. I can't believe that Swift doesn't have Turbo lag, It certainly has although it's got a bit linear in the new version. You'll get used to the turbo lag very soon and it wouldn't be a concern at all.

I would recommend Emotion Pack since it comes with all goodies loaded and is absolute VFM with the discounts currently on offer. ABS is an important safety feature which can be quite useful during panic braking, you really can't call anyone as a so experienced driver who can simulate ABS during panic braking.

My car ODO stands at 28K now and have had two scheduled services and two-three unscheduled visits to various ASS including VST, Tafe and Concorde ECR. I would rate VST>Tafe>Concorde and services offered are good, But you wouldn't get neatly dressed men talking fluent English etc. Tell them exactly what you need and they shall do it, As with all other company ASS they try to oversell unnecessary services which they wouldn't if you're a TFI'an.

Lol, Not really with Fiat may be for Swift. If you're okay to wait, wait until Auto Expo to see if there is going to be a face lifted Punto although the current avatar looks brilliant to me
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    First things first.

A very hearty welcome to TFI family raajravi !!! I am sure you will love your stay here.

I have upgraded from an Alto to an Active Punto 1.3 MJD as well. We all had our concerns while opting for a Punto, thanks to the "Auto Experts" around the web. And you have landed up in just the place you need to be ... TFI.

And coming to your concerns

Looks : The BEST in its class. Nothing comes close to Punto in this area.

Foot Well : May be you are just uncomfortable with the huge space you get in the footwell compared to the ALTO. Well, you will get used to it and not just getting used to it, you will love it. The dead pedal (foot rest if you might want to call it) is what I like the most about the foot well.

Turbo Lag : I happen to drive a Swift VDI few times of my friend and I donot think there is much Turbo lag when compared. I find the turbo (not the lag) in Punto, to be much better than Swift. Just let the engine rev to 2000 rpm and you would be surprised to see the beast being unleashed.

1st and 2nd gear : I agree that the first gear is too short. But who needs to drive in 1st gear. The biggest advantage that I find in Punto is that you need not accelerate in the bumper to bumper traffic (few times at stop and go traffic) as it just moves ahead when you release the clutch without acceleration, even in the 2nd gear (I do this almost everyday). The torque is just awesome. I even sometimes put the gear in 5th in moderate traffic and it just pulls at 40kmph constantly without a jerk and guess what, without acceleration. Go back to the showroom, take a test drive again and try this.

Active or Emotion : When you have a budget of 5.5 - 6 lakhs and you donot want to go for a loan then Active it is. But if you can, just pay the 6 lakhs as downpayment and take an E pack with just a small amount of loan. Even better, go for a 90HP and thats a class apart. No turbo lag and immense power.
    ABS is something like a chute in the plane. Hopefully you might not need it. But this is India and people, dogs and cattle popping out of no where, an ABS might surely be the best thing you can have in your car.

ASS : I donot know much about the service you get at Chennai, but there is a huge TFI team in Chennai and they would be more than willing to suggest you the best one around.

Booking : What difference does it make if you buy it in Jan? Most probably you might be ending up buying a Dec manufactured car if you are too lucky. If you are planning to sell the car later and want to call it a 2012 model for less depreciation... may be.

I have bought mine in December and the 1 week wait for the delivery was too much for me to hold my excitement and I wonder how you would manage to wait for another 2-3 months. Also check if there are any festive offers going around, you might get a good deal.

I wish you the very best of both buying and the driving experience of Punto. Will be watching out for your review and pics.

Cheers
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    My dear Raajravi17
    Welcome you to Fiat Club of the Generation,
    You will never repent on your decission being made well i would say there are many people who have booked the swift and then changed over to Grande Punto as well some have even taken delivery of their i20 and changed to Punto 90 HP, what do i say now..............
    I have 1.2 Active and regarding the boost i do feel sometimes but just a press n the accelerator on the 1st and 2nd gear you will zoom ahead, And the dead pedal is a great thing you will be relaxed on the long drives as the front seat gives you extra comfort,
    I think 1.2 fits your budget and if you can raise it a bit the Emotional PK will do wonders to you.
    ASS As you have to visit them once a year so no big issue in it, Which service centre dont have issues, the thing is we speak it out and the others give remarks to you, but others keep mum about their ASS.
    Go ahead dude that what i can say and have fun with Puntoing round
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Raajravi.

Our TFI brothers have already given reasoned replies and i'll only say Punto is incomparable to any hatch at present. The argument may seem spurious, but it isn't.

Kiran anna has given you the best suggestion regarding the loan. Since E pack does pack a lot of punch for a value for money buy. I would also suggest the Epack.

Go for it.

Good luck.
  6. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Welcome to the club. Go for E pak at minimum. It offers a lot of VFM than emotion.
  7. Hello Guys

Thanks very much for your response. Last weekend i did testdrive of punto, figo and swift with my wife and we liked the punto than other cars. I agree with your comments and try to go for E pack if possible.

Booking dates have to be finalized.Will let you guys know about my purchase exp.

Thanks for your support once again.

Cheers
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Raajravi17

Hearty welcome to TFI. As others have already suggested, if you do not mind a small loan, pay the 6L from pocket and go for 90HP.
    If you are really tight budgeted then go for the Active.
    OT: I also own a 1.3 MJD Active.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    raajravi : Congrats on making the decision of owning the most spectacular hatch back of the country !!!
  10. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Congratulations on making this decision. i have a EP and I would say that for the features we get, it is a great VFM!