1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello FIAT-ians

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RMZ, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm happy to be part of the FIAT family. I'm a software professional based in Cochin. We bought our first new car and it was a FIAT. Though this decision was made entirely by my dad who is not an auto enthusiast like me. We were contemplating to buy a petrol hatchback below 6lacs and had shortlisted Swift, Polo, i20, Figo, Sail etc. My only choice among this list was Swift and I rejected all the others for one reason or the other. Dad had worked out his own logic to make a choice and initially went ahead with Sail. I hated this car so much that I had made up in my mind to not even bother to have a look at it when it comes home. It looked downright cheap and the insides looked two decades old. I gotta tell this here. When was the last time anyone saw the power window buttons placed ahead of the gear lever? I remember only Tata Indica/Indigo, but that was more targeted at taxi market and less at family buyers. The interiors screamed "cheap". Chevrolet was taking Indians for granted and the sales chart shows. To my luck, Chevrolet people said they have some production issues and hence will not be able to fulfill our booking. They refunded our booking amount. Dad's next choice was Punto which according to me was way better than Sail, though still not good. If we were looking at diesel, then I would rate Punto almost on par with the segment best, but in our case, dad was gonna buy the 1.2 Petrol which on paper looked so bad. Very low power-to-weight ratio was bothering me the most and I did my best to convince dad against this. I gave him many reasons like poor resale value, fit n finish not the best, service experience is still unknown with new dealers etc along with less power. But he was not gonna change his decision and I had to give up. So, Punto it was and we booked through Hyson Auto Sales, the newly inaugurated FIAT showroom in Cochin. Initially booked the Active variant, but changed it to Dynamic after realising the fact that for a mere 25k, you get things like all power windows, fog lamps, stereo, driver seat height adjust, rear wash n wipe, defogger, electrically adjustable ORVMs, desmodronic key, a better MyCar system, body colored ORVMs and door handles, 60:40 split seats, two tone dash etc. SA accepted our request without hesitation and finally got the vehicle on 9th March. I have updated the dealership experience in Kerala dealer thread. I'm currently getting to know her better and hope to have a wonderful ownership. Will defintely put up my initial review asap. Looking forward to the TFI meets happening in my city.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome RMZ
    Congrats for your Punto :)
    Happy Miles with more Smiles
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Congrats on your new ride.. and welcome to TFI
  4. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to have a wonderful time with my car.

@thomman85: Saw the pics of ur beauty n it looks awesome. Couldn't read ur ownership thread completely. What are the next set of mods planned?
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Congrats RMZ & welcome on board. There is a saying in malayalam " Muthavar chollum.." . I am sure pretty soon you are going to accept that your father made a right choice. Enjoy your ride & drive safe.
  6. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    Haha. If it was the multijet, I would have agreed with him. Her average mileage reminds me of Ferrari :eek:. I hope it changes after the initial 1000kms.

Though this is not the right place to ask, I would like to share a problem that I'm facing. On moderate to heavy inclines, if I use the handbrake alone to hold the car after engine is turned off, she rolls backwards comfortably. I realised it while going through the parking lot of Lulu Mall. Next day, to verify this, I took her to a place with a similar steep incline and my doubt was confirmed. Had to put her in gear so that she doesn't move backwards. Anyone faced a similar issue? Will ask this in the niggles thread, but I thought I can get the attention of you guys here.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome RMZ.

Regarding, on slope, engage gear while parking. Handbrake will not be able to hold it on high incline/slope.
    Do get handbrake checked though.

Please open a new thread in ownership section.
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Welcome to TFI and congrats for your punto.. Coz another mallu punto .. :), Cochin is a great place and you have good time with your punto on narrow roads, bridges post some pics on the sea shore.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    RMZ what Ravi said is right. But one more thing which you can try is on an inclined surface, engage the handbrake & when you release you leg off the brakes you may feel a slight motion. On the very moment give a slightly hard pull up once more. Being a heavy car you need slightly more force too to engage it fully. This method has worked for me as I have to daily put my car on an inclined surface to open my garage gate.
  10. RMZ

RMZ

Cochin
    It wasn't too high an incline. I think our previous car, Alto would have stood still on such an incline though I haven't tried it. I guess its more to do with Punto's weight. On light to moderate inclines, it holds up without issues.

Hello Surya, will post pics in my ownership thread for sure. I was planning to drive her more and then post a detailed review.

Cinju, on a pretty good incline, engaging handbrake doesn't make any difference at all. Its just like you release the brake without engaging handbrake, there's not even a slight feeling of friction. On light to medium ones, it holds up well. I was a bit afraid to pull the lever further up fearing it might break. Will definitely try what you said. So far, it clicks upto two points when I pull up. I'll try one more level and engage the way you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion mate.