1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hello, all FIAT owners and others

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mvks, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mvks

mvks

Pune
    Let me introduce my self. I am Krishna, from Pune. I own a FIAT Palio 1.1 SLX, purchased on Dec 30, 2007 already clocked 65k km! I am still thrilled that i own a fantastic car for the following reasons. I drive extensively on Pune-Mum exp way all the time and it is a fantastic stable drive feel, especially, i feel I am in control even when driving in a torrential rain (had driven several times at 100 kmph). Most interesting part of my Palio is mileage: I get 19.8 km - 20.6 or so per liter of petrol! Yes. You have read it right. This is measured fill-up after fill-up for the last three years plus. Any day, anybody, can come and verify it! Same Petrol station, same nozzle, same dispensers and same auto-stop! I drive everyday 60 km from Talegaon Dabhade to Pune univ, each way 30.5 km (about 24 km on pure highway 5th gear just about 2000 rpm and the rest mixed driving near to Pune Univ.). I never cross 2000 rpm which translates to about 68kmph. So I keep hearing from my Alto, Santro Friends cribbing about their mileage and i enjoy hearing them. Now, the sad part. Roles reversed. My Alto, Santro friends have excellent service stations while i have to beg for service. Service has been a bad experience. I bought the FIAT thinking that i will be getting service from TATA Motors and I think, this is where the biggest mistake committed by me. Acumen Motors, however, seem to be better who are at least trying to listen what the owner wants say. Pandit Motors has been a big disappointment. I live in 50 km from the service station hence, i have to wait till the service is done and drive the car back home. So a simple job i have to spend either whole day or two days waiting for the car in my hand. There are many things FIAT can do to better their image. First, let the spares be made available through online purchase. I can get my car serviced through friendly garages. Even getting an oil filter is becoming difficult. Opening one service station in entire Pune City may not solve or improve image. If more garages are not feasible, at least your garage should have a provision to cater simple jobs faster: just like oil change, coolant change, or transmission oil change should be done faster and send off the owners. Will I go for another FIAT next time? My heart says that go for Linea but mind says don't make second mistake! I do not have guts to go for it. Unfortunately, in this forum, people do not want to talk/discuss about a Palio (whether it is service related or other form of help) so this might be the last message.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Prejudice! Mentioning that "this may be last post" is nothing but prejudice.

Though TFI is says that we are owners of FIAT's new generation cars, there were umpteen discussions about other FIAT models, including Palio.
    Why don't you identify a good, knowledgeable local workshop that can work on a Palio? I understand that your Palio is out of warranty and at a local workshop, you are likely to get the work done at lesser cost and better quality than at TASS/FASS. Availabilty of spare parts wont be an issue as there are places like Kava Automobiles, who procure and ship the part to you, wherever you are.
    1 person likes this.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I changed my CSC for my 10 year old Palio 1.6 GTX at INR 1500 for an OE part. The part was readily available at the market and was able to complete the job within 30 minutes. Once the car is out of warranty I don't think I'll rely upon the TASS because they are simply overloaded and your vehicle doesn't get the personal attention. I will get the job done at my friendly neighborhood garage at a fraction of cost with greater satisfaction. So my recommendation is to find a good mechanic for Palio and sourcing the parts is the least of the problem for you.
  4. mvks

mvks

Pune
    Dear Fiatlover, I am not worried of money to get it serviced/repaired. i maintained my car without looking for money that is the reason even after 65k km, it is rattle free and reliable with good mileage. it is the availability of spares as most of the time i am turned away, forced to make the trip back to garage again and then endless waits is the major problem. even for a simple oil change which generally over in less than 30 min it takes whole day, even with advance reservation. Many a times, it has been said that older generation cars are not to be discussed anymore here so, it is difficult to say whether or not it it is a prejudice.

Dear teky, i have known a mechanic close to my home. he told me that the FIAT people no longer give spares to them. He services almost all cars including accident cases very well. he told me that he cant even a rs150 horn for my car. it took more than 6 hours of waiting for horn replacement at Pandit. Once Pandit told me that he cant replace the coolant hosing pipes as they are not available them. when i called the FIAT (somehow they were in good mood to help me) they told me that Pandit auto, in fact has one set with them and they directed me to go to them immediately. surprisingly, they found the same in their stock which was not found 2 hours back! this is the problem.

By the way, thanks to both of you for your replies.

krishna
  5. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Krishna,

Welcome to TFI and nice to see that you have been enjoying your ride for a long time.
    But sadly, i see your starting post sounds more like a closing post :-(

I have read many threads in this forum where members discuss about older gen FIAT cars too, may be not so extensively as the new ones. This could because of not many people maintaining older gen vehicles. I see lot of palio's onroad and think that getting service from FIAT for these vehicles shouldnt be a huge problem but i agree not as easy as the new gen FIATs.
    It also depends on the service center approach too.

Wishing you all the best in maintaining your vehicle for a very long period and hope you find better places in this forum to get help.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    No, no. I am not talking about the cost factor. I was just suggesting there are options other than TASS, where it is cost effective, and of better work quality. As I mentioned, you can get genuine FIAT spares from Kava. Many on TFI sourced parts from Kava.