1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Heavy Vibration inside the car while idling.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by srida, Jul 7, 2012.

1. On thurday, I took a very bad road, my punto's belly got a big hit by a stone. Few minutes later I heard a tak tak tak sound repeatedly (like a pattern) under the hood. I thought something has come off after the hit. Today I took the car to the TAFE reach. Met Tensingh and got the issue corrected. B'coz of the hit, the engine gaurd bent upwards and the exhaust pipe (suspended) was hitting the gaurd and that was the reason for that takataka sound. Also I asked the technician to check the link rod, cos after wheel balancing and alignment only for two days the car felt nice. then again the car started pulling to left but this time the behavior was different. Previously the left pulling happened with the steering set to straight, but this time, the steering turns to left if I let go the steering. If I hold the steering straight, the car forwards straight but if i let it go or hold it loose then the steering turns to the left quickly. Also I heard a mild 'kut' sound when ever the car goes over a bump. So I suspected the link rod and that was the culprit. Now everything is finer.

OK this is the prequel to the actual issue.

After taking the car out, I felt very differently inside the car. The Karrrrrr noise from the engine. I thought the famous heavyness is back in my car.
    But something else bothered me when waiting for the signal. It is the vibration. Seats, Steering and myself were all vibrating :uh felt llike inside a lorry. Seriously, no exaggeration. The vibration along with the Karrrr Karrrrrr noise from the engine has once again put me into worries. I have to fix an appointment with TAFE this week and find out the issue. My only worry is to find out what the issue is. if the Tafe guys can find it out it is fine but what if it takes ages to find out the root cause just like the heaviness issue.\

Had anybody come across this issue. or any guess why this could be? My first suspect is the clutch and then next is the suspension.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I have never come across this Vibration issue. This is quite scary after hearing from you. I couldn't predict or think anything for the cause of this issue. Is it still persistent or happens only at times?
  3. shams

shams Esperto

One wild guess is the engine/sump guard is not hammered back to shape properly and is still touching something!
  4. teky

teky Esperto

If the steering is off to left do check the left suspension esp Elastic pad, I had the same issue and it wasn't gone until I changed the elastic pads. One more symptom of the giving up is thud sound you described.

Also the vibration could be because of Bent engine guard. I used to get this vibration only whilst engaging the reverse gear though.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you are getting vibrations only in reverse gear then problem is ' Clutch Judder'

Juddery clutch shows judder in 'R' gear.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

No Bhai, mine wasn't clutch judder it was the engine guard which was bent inwards causing the noise.
  7. sungoa2010

Since the vibration is felt all over the place, it looks like the engine vibration is passing to the main body. I suspect a some loose nut some where could be the culprit. Otherwise if it were due to some bended part it could have felt immediately after starting the car, or even TASS people might have spotted it. some thing was loose and it got worsen during your drive. I think it gets fixed up quickly at TASS.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

I will go with shams. Check if they any part of the engine guard is touching the sump. This would be the cause.
  9. Today morning when I started the car, I didn't feel the vibration. Till evening I was driving the car and didn't feel the vibration but in the night again the vibration started. It was while waiting for a signal again. A lorry was standing near my car in the signal. My wife asked me how come we are feeling the lorry's vibration in our car. Later she understood. This is again turning out to be a 'mind of its own issue'. Thanks for the clues guys, will get it checked sooner and update the thread.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

When you go to the TASS you can try a test ride after removing the engine guard completely from the car. It can single out the culprit.
    1 person likes this.