1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

heating issue

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Binoj John, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Binoj John

Binoj John Timido

Cochin
    Linea Classic
    my linea classic mjd which is 10 moths old is having overheating issue. the temp gauge is showing the normal temprature(needle is on middle line) but the engine is taking long time to cool down. (after just 6kms running) the coolant tank, engine bay etc are very hot and i can see vapour drops inside the coolant tank. i dont know whether this is normal or it is a problem. can you folks help me understand if there is something wrong? the driving was on straight road and did not revved high.
  2. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    How are you sure that this is an overheating problem? Do you suspect the temp gauge to be faulty, does it behave eractic?
    During initial run from cold start the engine is supposed to get hot to reach optimum operating temp, hence the cooling system valves are closed.
    Can you elaborate more on the issue?
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    As Sanket suggested need more info.
    1. Are you seeing any leak? Have you checked the engine oil level ?
    2. Check anything is stuck in front of radiator which is blocking the air flow. Is radiator fan functioning correctly?
    3. Overheating could also be due to bad thermostat. Heated engine coolant passes through to the radiator when the thermostat is in the open position. In the closed position, it prevents the flow of coolant to speed up the warming of a cold engine. When the thermostat gets stuck in the closed position, coolant stays in the engine and quickly becomes overheated, resulting in engine overheating.
    4. check the condition of belt driving the water pump. as this turns the water pump at the correct speed for proper coolant flow through the cooling system.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Engine cooling down after running the engine may take some time - it depends on factors like ambient temperature etc. So it may not be a good indication of problem or the lack of it.

Some water vapor condensed on the top wall of coolant tank is normal because I have seen it in my car (FIRE - 1.4) too. You should not worry about coolant evaporating unless you see coolant level going down gradually over a span of few hundred kms.

Temp gauge starts moving within few minutes of starting the engine. Wait until it reaches the mid line. Keeping the engine on open the bonnet and observe the coolant tank. If the engine is hot enough you should see the coolant circulating in the tank. WARNING - please don't open the coolant tank cap to check. Just observe through the semi-transparent coolant tank. You can see the coolant flowing. If coolant is flowing and your engine temp gauge is behaving normally then I believe there is no problem. If you still feel it is a problem and if the service station is close by just visit the service station once to get a checkup.
  5. Binoj John

Binoj John Timido

Cochin
    Linea Classic
    Thanks sanket, deepak & ravi for your replies. the thing is that it is taking 3+ hours to completely cool down the engine. there is no leak and engine oil level is ok and nothing obstructing the radiator. the temp gauge is working properly. coolant level is still on max level after 6000kms running. i will check the coolant circulation like ravi suggested and will go to the service station to check the fan, thermostat, water pump etc.. what about removing the plastic cover surrounding the radiator? so that more air flow will get the engine. looking for your suggestion. thank you.
  6. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Binoj John
    The plastic cover surrounding the condensor and radiator is call radiator cowl.
    Removing it will worsen things up!
    The cowl is made so that air flows properly through radiator and the fan can suck in more air when it operates.

Also, car cooling down depends on lot of factors. I won't be worried if my car cools down after 3+ hours as long as it is running at optimum temperature.

First check if the thermostats is fine, a competant mech should give u the actual engine temperature to confirm with the car thermostat temp.