1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Heat noticed behind the central console

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PuntoMan, Mar 26, 2015.

1. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

Just wanted to check if any of you faced or noticed this problem:

Just behind the central console that holds the AC control & ICE, I notice there is some amount of heat on the plastic.

The heat can be noticed when I touch the plastic just left to the clutch, while on the other side of the same console (same area, passenger side), I notice there is more heat.

Noticed this last night and today again, after driving for about half an hour with AC ON.

The heat is nothing that is not bearable or abnormally hot, but I am a little worried.

I was wondering if this was because of the new clutch assembly which was replaced 2 weeks back. And if this would eventually subside.?

Should I be really concerned about this or is this normal?
    Anybody know what's behind this plastic?

Would really appreciate any help on this. I would want to avoid going to FASS, if this is not a major problem, hence checking here first. Have been facing trouble convincing them for the last 2 weeks about a rattling sound coming from the dashboard (Not fixed yet! Lost all hopes on FASS.!). :(
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I never heard such issues. I think you should go to FASS if the heat is bearable also. Don't wait for things to go wrong with heat or any odd things.

There is a chance that engine heat is coming inside the cabin or some wire behnd the console is getting more heat than normal.

Precaution is better than cure.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @PuntoMan It cannot be because of replaced clutch assembly because clutch assembly is not anywhere near the clutch pedal where you have noticed heating. A hydraulic line runs from the clutch cylinder behind the clutch pedal to the engine housing area where the clutch assembly is. Therefore, heating near the areas you have described is definitely not because of clutch assembly. Looks like heat is from the engine. You may want to get the firewall insulation checked because that is the barrier to reduce heat transmission from engine to the cabin.
  4. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    It must be the AC BLower Area .i.e. HVAC core. This happens only on AC ?
  5. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the clarification. Will get this checked by professionals then!

Yep, noticed it only when AC is ON.

Took your advice and booked for running repair at Vecto Motors, Hosur Road, Bangalore. Will see what they have to say. Hope it's a minor issue and does not pinch my pocket. Have been spending a lot on repairs this month! :( Been to the FASS twice already, those guys should be hating me by now! :D

Will post an update on Monday after the fix (hopefully!) for future reference.
  6. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Been a while.. but here's the update:

The heating problem was normal and not an issue, as per FASS (as expected), they sent me back home without fixing anythng.
    Soon after that I noticed that the coolant had gone below the minimum mark. Happened maybe after the service and remained that way unnoticed. Once I topped this up, the heating problem stopped.
    Noticed the same problem after the 60k Kms service as well & fixed it on my own - as usual, coolant was the culprit.

Thanks all for your help & support!