1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

HEALTH IS WEALTH - Medical Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by asimpleson, Jun 19, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Way to go..! Nothing like free will.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks will check for the same.
  2. kiranrv

kiranrv Amatore

I always believed in "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away"

Some of the important facts about apple

Pectin -- Pectin is a form of soluble fiber than lowers both blood pressure and glucose levels. It can also lower the levels of LDL, or "bad" cholesterol in the body. Pectin, like other forms of fiber, helps maintain the health of the digestive system. Apples are an excellent source of pectin.

Boron -- A nutrient found in abundance in apples, boron supports strong bones and a healthy brain.

Quercetin -- A flavonoid, this nutrient shows promise for reducing the risk of various cancers, including cancers in the lungs and breast. It may also reduce free radical damage. Free radicals develop when atoms in the body's cells have unpaired electrons, which can lead to damage to different parts of the cell, including DNA. Quercetin may neutralize free radical damage, which has been implicated in a variety of age-related health problems, including Alzheimer's disease.

Vitamin C -- Vitamin C boosts immunity, which helps maintain overall health.
    Phytonutrients -- Apples are rich in a variety of phytonutrients, including vitamins A and E and beta carotene. These compounds fight damage from free radicals and can have a profound affect on health, including reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and asthma.

Apples also act as a toothbrush, cleaning teeth and killing bacteria in the mouth, which may reduce the risk of tooth decay. They're also low in calorie density, one of the trademarks of a healthy food.

If some of you are not aware our body needs more calories to digest an Apple than the calories we get from it
    4 people like this.
  3. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks zen walker. I wanted to drift away for allopathy for cases where long treatment is needed but wasn't kinda sure if i should give it a try again. Maybe i do check out about a good repute doctor. ...Im actually in faridabad......Thanks pal.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Kiranrv great info.,

Another wonder fruit for health is Avocado. Just Check the spec sheet.. :D

[TABLE="class: infobox nowrap"]
    <caption style="white-space:normal; padding-bottom:0.15em;;">Avocados, raw
    </caption> <tbody>
    [TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

[TH="align: left"]Energy[/TH]
    670 kJ (160 kcal)

[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][/TD]

[TH="align: left"] Carbohydrates
    8.53 g

[TH="align: left"]Sugars[/TH]
    0.66 g

[TH="align: left"]Dietary fiber[/TH]
    6.7 g

[TH="align: left"] Fat
    14.66 g

[TH="align: left"]Saturated[/TH]
    2.13 g

[TH="align: left"]Monounsaturated[/TH]
    9.80 g

[TH="align: left"]Polyunsaturated[/TH]
    1.82 g

[TH="align: left"] Protein
    2 g

[TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Vitamins[/TH]

[TH="align: left"]Vitamin A equiv. beta-carotene
    lutein zeaxanthin
    7 μg (1%)
    62 μg
    271 μg

[TH="align: left"]Thiamine (B1)[/TH]
    0.067 mg

[TH="align: left"]Riboflavin (B2)[/TH]
    0.13 mg

[TH="align: left"]Niacin (B3)[/TH]
    1.738 mg

[TH="align: left"] Pantothenic acid (B5)
    1.389 mg

[TH="align: left"]Vitamin B6[/TH]
    0.257 mg

[TH="align: left"]Folate (B9)[/TH]
    81 μg

[TH="align: left"]Vitamin C[/TH]
    10 mg

[TH="align: left"]Vitamin E[/TH]
    2.07 mg

[TH="align: left"]Vitamin K[/TH]
    21 μg

[TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Trace metals[/TH]

[TH="align: left"]Calcium[/TH]
    12 mg

[TH="align: left"]Iron[/TH]
    0.55 mg

[TH="align: left"]Magnesium[/TH]
    29 mg

[TH="align: left"]Manganese[/TH]
    0.142 mg

[TH="align: left"]Phosphorus[/TH]
    52 mg

[TH="align: left"]Potassium[/TH]
    485 mg

[TH="align: left"]Sodium[/TH]
    7 mg

[TH="align: left"]Zinc[/TH]
    0.64 mg

[TH="colspan: 2, align: center"]Other constituents[/TH]

[TH="align: left"]Water[/TH]
    73.23 g

[TH="align: left"]Fluoride[/TH]
    7 µg
    1 person likes this.
  5. bharath

bharath Regolare

Instead of Apples(washinton,green apples),Avocados,Strawberries,Arabian Pomegranates,Fish tablets(kind of Omaga fatty acid source),Cashew,Oats,Corn Flakes&noodles,Protein Powder and much like these which were/are brainwashed for business motive ,why don't we stick with our local fruits & cereals that would contribute significant benefit to out local people/farmers.These local fruits posses lot more stuffs than the imported ones at a lesser rate.Guava(apple is no match),Amla(Nellikai),banana(they pack heavy nutrients&calories too),chiku,papaya,watermelon,cucumber,nava pazham,jack fruit,Indian corn(not the American sweet corn),sugarcane,coconut,Nunku,groundnut(equally good as cashew,need not to say about the rate comparison),lemon juice/butter milk instead of tea/coffee, to name a few.

Yes ,I eat apples,oranges & Pomes but not necessarily all the times but I mostly avoid all the much hyped foreign fruits and the processed one minute foods.But I still cannot avoid COMPLAN :D (May not be necessary if you get PURE milk !)

Sticking with our locally produced is a win-win situation that WE get superior fruits/local foods at lesser rate and the local people/farmers benefit out of that too.Just a thought.

OT:Never seen any thread in TFI moving like a high speed bullet train.Hoping to learn most out of this thread.

Nava Pazham:

Nunku: NUNKU.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Getting Nava Pazham is not that easy at least in Chennai. But, if it is available I will get it for sure. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

For those in a hurry and want to get most of the benefits of apples, you can have Apple cider vinegar one tsbp mixed with a glass of water every morning.

8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Buying Medicines online..

Recently ordered a few medicines from Healthkart.com. Experience was too bad. :(

I insisted and requested the courier guy to open the box and check that the items were as as per my order. To my surprise a bottle of Chyawanprash was open and the seal foil within top cover was hanging by a thread. :eek:
    This was clear indication that the item sent was a reject/used piece of bottle. The courier guy was also shocked as this unfolded in front of him. He asked me to snap a few pics and send to Healthkart. I did snap pics, but I also called on their STD code line then and there and asked them to cancel the order. The reason being that all the other medicines too were old stock. :(

Also what I found is that half the stock in cart was sent earlier and the other items kept pending for later. Even on reminding via email a couple of times, there was no clear reply as to when the remaining items would be dispatched. The policy of some online dealers is that you don't open the external boxes or cartons while paying COD and then keep calling them or email them for refunds later when you are sent the wrong items or if there is an issue with the product.

The courier guy said his company sent products for Jabong.com also and they do not have any such policy. If the product in not right as per order the people can send back the items at the time of delivery itself.

Inspite of all this I would just ask everyone to follow precaution while ordering from online sites including Healthkart. I suppose blister packed tablets etc. should not pose a problem, like the one I faced. However, please check product expiry date. Sometimes these are unsold old products sitting on the shelf for too long and nearing expiry date.
    1 person likes this.
  9. kiranrv

kiranrv Amatore

Heritage super market sells them, I got them over weekend :)
  10. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

I was told the same thing (The bridge is twisted) and they asked to start with xray, CT scan and more. This is at KKR ENT clinic, the doctor did not even look at the xray. I did not do CT scan and stuff as the hospital was similar to a factory assembly chain. (Not an efficient assembly chain anyway) . They got all personal details (Employement details, insurer and insurance number)Wanted to get opinion of not so commercial doctor, consulted Dr. Pacifica Simon at Mehta Hospitals and was told that two sides of nose are not always similar and was told that there is no need for surgery. She was patient and very attentive.

I got this urge to eat Nava Pazham for the past 2 weeks and finally got some really good quality Nava Pazham at Kovai Pazhamudir Cholai, Shanthi Colony, Anna nagar. It was neatly packed,the fruits were without worms and fresh, paid around 150 per kilo.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Two guys answering his query and both have 89 posts!! (Ah, atleast before this)
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.