1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. How to check the alternator ? it might be possible that alternator didnt charge the battery well
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The local battery wala will tell you at once. They do it for free at exide service shops, or call Exide Batmobile service and they will check in front of you and let you know perfectly. Even if you dont own an Exide they do it for you for their own PR.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    When the car engine is running check the voltage levels. The voltage levels should be more than 12 V.

You would need to jump start the vehicle, you could ask the battery service person to check the same.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Might I add; for correct readings to check alternator functioning a proper charged battery is required. One needs to rev the engine and see if the voltage goes above 14 or atleast hovers near it.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Please correct me if i m wrong. Alternator is same device which takes power from battery and rotate the engine when we start the car.. and once engine started its the alternator only which charges the battery by converting engine rotation into electrical energy. There is no separate motor for starting .. its the alternator which does both the job..

And if m correct then my alternator must be ok beacuse few days back when i last drove my car it started my car within normal time .
  6. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi ashish,

Alternator is the device which converts mechnical rotary motion into alternating current (commonly know as AC), which is further converted to DC by seperate electronics which is connected to the battery for charging the same.

The device which takes power from the battery and crank the engine is know as Starter Motor. This is not the same as alternator.

Hope this is useful.
    4 people like this.
  7. s.rahus

s.rahus Novizio

Chennai
    Hi Ashish,

A simple method to analyse the issue is to

1.) Drive the car for some 10-15 kms (of course you have to jump start it with the help of another charged battery- here is how to do it: How To Jump Start a Car | The Art of Manliness or your local battery shop guys can help you)

2.) After driving for 10-15 kms stop the car and try to start the car again immediately. If the car starts up immediately, then you can almost be certain that the battery is getting charged and your alternator is also fine. Check if the other issues that you have reported are also gone.

3.) Also, try to start the car after some 2-4 hours after the drive, if its not starting up and showing all the issues, then its almost certain that the battery is degraded and its not holding the charge long enough. You can still send the battery to your local battery shop guys and ask them to charge it fully and see if that helps before going for a new one.

Cheers,
    U S
  8. Thanks every body for all your suggestions...
    yeasterday morning i called Fiat customer care and explianed the problem.. within one hour they sent one mechanic to my address... He jump started my car by connecting my car battery to his car battery.. then i drove around 7-8 km and parked my car at around 11 am .. then i cheked my car at 7 pm .. it started normally as if there were no battery problem.. then after 15 minutes i switched off the enigine .. today morning at 7 am i again started my car and car started in normal time.. ..
    However boot is still not opening from dashboard button as well as from remote ..

I am facing this boot issue from last 15 days.. sometimes it opnes from dashboard button & remote and sometimes it doesnt.. and i also observed the following

1) 2 times it happned that my car was running and suddnly boot open indication appeared in MID.. i stopped the car and closed the boot .. i dont know how boot opened without pressing any button...
    2) 1 time it happned that I parked my car at my society's parking area and morning i found that boot is opened

I think when i left my car for 5 days .. boot might have opned automatically (as it opned in above cases) and beacuse boot lamp was continuesly glowing for 3-4 days battery drained out... ( However i am not sure i am just corelating the events)

But this is also true that there is timer of 20 minutes which automatically switched off every lights and music system after 20 minutes if the engine is not running.. Is this 20 minutes timer also switch off boot lamp ???

Should i change my battery now or wait for some time beacuse today morning when i started my car after a gap of almost 12 hours it started normally and at that outside temp was 11 deg C ???

What happned to boot opening mechanism ?? it is not opening from the dashboard button and remote ... However as explained above boot opened automatically when car was running and also opned automatically when car was parked..

Due to busy schedule i am not getting time to visit service center which is almost 25 km away from my home.. :( :(
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You need not change the battery, it seems to crank well in cold condition. Just get it checked at the battery shop once later.
    If it is maintainance free type battery do not put any refill acid solution in it.

The real culprit as you mentioned may be boot light that stayed on or maybe the electrical latch or something. Change the remote battery at the service center to be double safe and also the boot unlock system checked. The remote battery is CR2032 coin type battery you can find at any electronics or computer repair shop and costs like 15-20Rs. only. Get to the service people ASAP, to avoid any issues redraining the battery again. Consecutive battery draining can cause battery damage, avoid that at all costs for obvious reasons.

Keep updating progress on this thread for future reference for other Fiatians.

Good Luck!
    1 person likes this.
  10. Hi Shree,

I bought a 920, 2 days back and am unable to use it with my blue&me. The phone connects and keeps dropping the bluetooth connection. Till date I have never faced such an issue when I was using Android. Would appreciate if you could let me know are you facing similar issues?