1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Good work. I guess the small cylindrical thingie with those projections for slots is the broken bit. Is that plastic or is it metallic? What did you use for gluing it together? If it is plastic, I recommend using super glue and possibly use araldite in case of metal. Stick it together and leave it alone overnight. Go to work on it with a nail file / key maker's file the next morning and smooth down as much as possible, checking the fit periodically. With patience, I am sure you can get there.

Thanks for sharing.

Rajan
  2. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    As far as i know there aren't any in Mysore. I don't know about Bangalore though. Flip keys in general aren't very common, not all manufacturers offer them. The keys are tough and don't get damaged that easily. As a result people who fix them are rare. :(
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ::T on managing to open the fob.

While it might be difficult to get the button itself separately, i suggest you look at the same website i posted above and you might be able to get the whole casing for cheap. While the payment mode supported for India is direct Credit card only on that website, i bought several items from there and found it to be safe.

The free shipped items usually arrive in about 20 days.

You might also try and find it at local key makers as Akshay mentioned above.
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    @PatchyBoy Thank you for your feedback. Its made of metal. I used fevi-kwik to glue it together. I'll try your suggestion about filing it. But i'm not sure the mended piece can handle the wear. The piece that's broken off is the bit that holds the button in place and doesn't allow it pass through the key ( refer last but one image). As the button is pressed frequently, the small bit will repeatedly strike against the stopper present in the metallic key and hence may break off again. I really hope i can get my hands on a replacement piece, if not sticking and filing is my only go.. :(

- - - Merged Post - - -

If it comes down to replacing the casing, can i go for something like this??
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1343031230/-font-b-fiat-b-font-3-button-modified-flip-remote-font-b-key-b-font.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

Did you notice the contact switches on the circuit board? The switches will align with the buttons of the stock design only. From what i see, it's not possible to use a different case design.

On a different note, can you please post closer high resolution pics of both sides of the circuit board?
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Try using a 1 mm iron/copper cable to wind at the broken end and twist both the ends to form like a lock just enough to fit into the locking cut. It might work.
    Something like this.
    IMG_20131028_145625.jpg
  7. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    I wasn't expecting a direct transplant. With a bit of fidding around can it be done? Have u ever heard of anyone trying out something like this?

- - - Merged Post - - -

I'm not sure it'll work. Its a very narrow shaft with very close tolerances. A very precise shape and size is required. But i'll give it a try though.

- - - Merged Post - - -

R these ok? Or do u need better ones? IMG_20131028_180610.jpg IMG_20131028_180641.jpg
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Is there a immobilizer chip in the slot marked in red?

IMG_20131028_113417.jpg

Since i never saw the inside of the key, i was wondering if the Immobilizer chip was build onto the remote circuit but looks like it is not.

I do not know if anyone has tried transplanting the circuit onto a different case, but if you dare, you could try moving the switches onto the center of the circuit.

Since they look like normal switches soldered onto the circuit, i guess you can move them to the center (Glue them there), solder small wires back and forth to the original terminals. And last but not the least, ensure the circuit fits into the new casing you are getting. You very well know the consequences of failure, so make a informed decision.
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    The region u have marked has a water-proof plastic sheet like stuff. It covers an elliptical sort of case. The case is around 5-7mm in height and 1.5cm in length. I too felt it covers something, else there was no reason to have that there. Didn't dare open it though.
  10. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Tried starting the car with the key piece from the dismantled fob. The ignition turns on and the engine cranks too but no matter how many times i crank the engine, it simply refuses to start. I knew it wouldn't start, but still wanted to check. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk