1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Cigar lighter/Mobile Charger fitting loose in Punto

Hi,

I have a problem with Mobile charger in my Punto.
    I have purchased a mobile charger (Xenos) which is not fitting correctly in the Mobile charger slot.
    Same problem with the CarPad5 charger as well which is also not fitting properly in this slot :A.
    The slot seems to be slightly wider one as the same mobile charger is fitting properly in the swift (I have checked this with the accessories shop where I have bought this).

Can anybody let me know if they faced the same problem and help me resolve this issue.

I think mobile chargers come in a standard size. Isn't it?
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Some problem with the charger i think
    Charger for my iPhone sits neatly in the power outlet
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nope. Sadly, they don't. There are actually 2 sizes:

<dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;"><dt style="font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 0.1em;">12-volt cigar lighter receptacle and plug, size A</dt></dl>
    • Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93 - 21.01 mm (median 20.97 mm)
    • Plug body diameter: 20.73 - 20.88 mm (median 20.805 mm)
    • Most often used in American automobiles.
    <dl style="margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19.1875px;"><dt style="font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 0.1em;">12-volt cigar lighter receptacle and plug, size B</dt></dl>
    • Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41 - 21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm)
    • Plug body diameter: 21.13 - 21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm)
    • Most often used in European automobiles, and sometimes as a second socket in American automobiles expressly for DC power connections.

FIATs have the European socket and if you have an American connector, it will usually be a bit loose and will tend to rattle or even pop out.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Looks like I have Size A charger. Will check it. Thanks for the info.
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually the charger I bought too was popping out from the socket. What I done is not changing the charger. Instead I bought a power splitter from ebay. The power splitter's charging point fits exactly in the socket and the charger fits in the socket of the power splitter. I got the one with 2 cigar and 2 USB ports.

You can search in ebay for this.

powersplitter.JPG
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Murthy, am using a local multi pin charger and it works fine. Try it out once.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I would strongly warn against using multi-pin chargers, for a very simple reason. The more number of ports you have available, the more equipment you will connect. The wiring to the adapter will be rated for certain amount of load and it will be easy to over load that by connecting multiple devices. You might end up with blown fuses or melted wires. The best thing to do if you need more sockets, is to add individual sockets with independent wiring and fuses.

Rajan
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I bought it for just two additions. That too charging will be very less through the car port. I too know multipin chargers will cause damage to battery and fuse too when added a hell lots of gadgets (as a techie, if I didn't know about this, I will be the dumbest person :) ).
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree. The main reason behind multi pin charger is to facilitate charging of different make mobiles. I bought this charger in era where not all phones were equipped with USB charging slot. Usage is only during emergency and till date have not connected more than one mobile at a time.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even the charger I have is multi-pin I don't charge two mobiles. When my wife or any other passenger in my car wants to charge and I too need to charge, I disconnect my phone from charger and let them charge. Once they are satisfied with battery level I put my mobile for charge. Till now, I used the car charging port for 1-1.5 hours only as I don't like slow charging compared to the wall socket.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013