1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I'm in the same dilemma as I'm planning a long road trip soon. But I'm not keen to spend 10-12k right now on headlight upgrade to Xenon. What's your feedback on OSRAM night breaker plus 55/60W? That's the first step on upgrade which I usually see for people on this forum. Have you upgraded all 4 bulbs?

No doubt 100/90w or 110/100w is way better than stock bulbs and cheaper (perhaps more powerful too) than HID setup.

However, I'm worried about spoiling the reflector with the high heat produced by these bulbs. In my Getz, I was running 100/90w Philips Rally and the reflectors had become opaque.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There is no problem with the headlamp casing.. Dont worry about it.
    I had installed 110/110 phillips nearly a yr ago and till date there has been no problems what so ever. Yes the casing does get hot but nothing that it cannot handle.
    Secondly I've done a lot of night driving on the highways where I constantly used High beam (meaning 110W all through).. NO issues whatsoever
  3. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
  4. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Any input guys!! BTW do i need to install relay for 100/90W bulbs?
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes, its imperative
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  6. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have been using 130/90W Hella rally bulbs with hella wiring kit since 11 months. No blacking of head lamp reflectors or glass. Even drove with high beams through out the night (10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m). There are multiple such trips.

At the beginning I was very skeptical about this blacking and load on alternator but punto fared well with set of head lamps. Even volvos dip on highways. However, still there are morons who don't budge to dim. I think they will never know how to dip their head lamps.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Can you provide a link for the wiring kit along with bulbs?

Sent from my phone, not yours. :)
  9. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't have the links but I have taken the images of the wiring harness carton and bulb packing carton. For your ready reference I am posting those pics. here.

29042012062.jpg

29042012063.jpg

29042012066.jpg

29042012067.jpg

It is plug and play type no wire cutting involved the male adopter goes into one of the original holders(left) and other(right) factory holders is left unconnected. New bulbs are fitted in the ceramic holders. You can see the fuses and relays in the attached image. Power is directly taken from the battery. There is provision for connecting the wires to the battery only nut is required.Two positive wires are connected to battery +ve terminal and left negative terminal is also connected to battery. Right negative terminal is connected to chasis, for this also there is bolt only nut you need to fit.Before connecting right negative to chasis you have rub paint around the bolt to have a good contact.

Note:- Actually I thought fitting 100/90 W bulbs and in the shop also asked for the 100/90W but after seeing this harness then changed mind and asked the bulbs be given 130/90W. That is the maximum wattage supported by this wiring kit.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Thanks for such a elaborative post mvb4u. How much this harness costed you?