1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. rana

rana Novizio

Mumbai
    okies... thanks a lot... seems the 700 Rs for the chargers gone to waste
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Happy New Year !!

To all eager readers : The Battery was the problem - Warranty expired on 20-Dec and I gave my car 6 days late for servicing !! & had to shell out for another Exide (Hate it or love it) costing Rs 3800 after the exchange DIN 44 is the model with 36 months warranty out of which 18 months is exchange warrranty and rest 18 months is preventive maintenance and free servicing...

What I was told by the dealer - The OEM batteries are stored, then shipped, again stored in stock yard till they get sold to a FIAT lover, thus, the battery will lose the specific gravity due to under maintenance + in first 3k kms service i dont think anyone bothers to check battery !!

Thus the battery goes kaput in short time (infact mine is 2009 Sep model) and had stood unsold till Dec 2010, hence i was asked not to be surprised as the actuall age of the battery was nearing 2 years !!

Consiidering the above & no maintenance of the battery, Exide OEM survived well.

Now coming back to Air Bag Failure, Immobiliser check light - This issue is not there any more after the battery has been replaced.
    Plus, i was told by SA that this is a known issue when battery dies and FIAT Car behaves like this...

So a word of caution - to all who are facing some or the other issues with thier MID, Electricals, Air Bag Failure,Immobiliser etc->> Kindly Get Your Battery checked or replaced!!

You may want to experiment with a spare battery for day or 2 before you buy so that you are 100% sure...

But my experience has thought me how FIAT behaves when its out off Energy :))

I will write a detailed ownership report on 15 k kms soon.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cubbie,
    Normally how we define the lyf of the battery..?
    whats the average lyf of battery?
    mine is 2011 MARCH 1.3 MJD and i have done 15K KMS and when shall i expect such kind off behaviour based upon ur experience...
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I'm not qualified to tell about the life of a battery - However learnt few things from my own experience :

When starting the car, the MID, AIR CON, STEREO will go out of power and return after few seconds - This is a definite show cause for an issue with Battery
    Air Con may not cool enough at times or compressor may cut off
    Starting (Cranking the engine) will take more time

Plus, as per me there is no set rule on life of a battery, my honda city didnt give me any problem for nearing 4 year.

Some Tips :
    Make friends with a local authorized battery dealer.
    Every 6 months, get to a battery dealer (Not TASS) ask them to check the battery for specific gravity
    Top up with distilled water (usually not required in Zero Maintenance Batteries)
    Get the connectors etc cleaned
    I was told that Conductor Jelly is not required (Usually applied on the contact points of the battery to resist corrosion & wet conditions (Due to water)
    But prefer the jelly not grease if its available.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cubbie,
    thanks for the info..
    tips are pretty usefull..:up
    it was good awareness info to us about your problem and the case was resolved by battery issue.:)
  6. pdranjith

pdranjith

Chennai
    Battery Replaced Under Warranty, but no warranty for the new battery

2 Weeks on the road and my Linea went dead; the car had to be jump started. Post the dealership’s (VST, Chennai) failed attempt to fix the issue by exide service, got the battery replaced under warranty. But, there is no warranty on the new battery now. The SA claims that the warranty becomes void on replacement.

I just don’t get this, this being a new battery why does not exide provide a warranty on it, are its products so much prone to issues that they cannot afford to provide a warranty on a new battery? Or, is this the case with all OEM ones.

Has anyone faced this issue before?
  7. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    woha?? What makes your SA thinking to say warranty on OEM only?? Never heard anything like this before. Call on FIAT's toll free no.(18002095556) & ask them about it, if its false lodge a complaint on the same no. Don't ever trust SAs. They really try to give senseless S**T!
    I strongly believe you should get your Warrenty on new battery too.
    Let us know what happens further.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is ridiculous. As Tron said, call the Fiat toll free and get the clarification. Also, lodge a complaint thru Fiat India website.
  9. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Exide would provide warranty directly to you. The dealer should have given you the stamped warranty booklet.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The headache of battery warranty lies with Exide, not Fiat IMO. Remember, exide is not doing a service, its business.

OEM manufacturers can't simply sit without any such headaches.

Not sure about OEM, but what happens normally is that when you buy a battery with, say, 2 years warranty, you are entitled for a free replacement or repair etc. for 2 years from the date of initial purchase. If the battery dies after 1.5 years of use, the company is supposed to provide a new battery that will now carry a 6 months warranty.