1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    I got the battery checked form a battery shop today . Yes dj.nish you are right , these batteries do not need any water toppings .The person told me that the capacity of battery had gone weak . It was showing 9 volts at start up which should be 11 volts according to him . The battery had a guarantee of 1 year and my car is 1 year 10 days old , so cant go for the replacement. I am really surprised to know that exide batteries have this poor life . Amaron in my NHC was way better than this one.
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Are you serious? In today's age, FIAT still gives out batteries with just 1 year warranty? Please re-check your battery service manual. AFAIK, 2+2 year warranty is standard on all Exide MF batteries. That means, full refund/replacement within 2 years and pro-rata refund/replacement from 2nd-4th year.

yes you are right about Amaron. I had it in my earlier car and it gave me trouble free service even till 2.5 years after the purchase.
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    The OE exide has only 18 months warranty (atleast my Punto had so)
  4. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    @dj.nish...I checked the warranty card and yes its showing 12 months from the date of purchase of car

@soccerfan.....18 months may be from the date of manufacture of battery
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    As soon as possible, please change to Amaron Pro/Flo series. It provides complete peace of mind!
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What is all this talk of FIAT providing ''age old'' batteries. Almost everyone provides similar OEM batteries.

To single out FIAT smacks of bias.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I think you read my comment wrong. Yes, all manufacturers provide Exide as OE batteries, simply because they are the cheapest. However, given the advancement in technology, they should atleast provide MF batteries as against old-technology. Or rather, on premium cars (e.g. TJet) they should provide a better battery.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If only we lived in an ideal world.

Manufacturers cut corners at strange places, battery is a mild thing. Atleast FIAT isn't selling us tin cans. :)

Even the Quality King Toyota has cut one corner too many on their ugly ducklings.

So, considering FIAT pricing, i'm okay with the battery.

Cheers.
  9. arun687

arun687

Mumbai
    Guys I had a similar incident today when on the highway was doing about 40-50 kmph and a biggish piece of concrete, probably broken off from the divider was there sitting right in the middle of the lane. I couldn't spot it because of the car ahead and hit it straight on, two thuds, one from front and the other from rear. :A Didn't even have the reaction time to brake and thank god I didnt as weight shift to front would have made the impact worse.

Immediately recalled this thread and was worried, stopped a couple of kms ahead and had a look. The front bumper didnt have any visible scratch though there was some scratch on the under part of the rear bumper. Since it was night time, could make out much. Drove another 12 kms to home after that and no low oil warning or low fuel warning was shown, no visible leaks, everything looked normal.

I'm thinking of taking it to a water service center and putting it on ramp for a close inspection. Anything specific that I need to be looking at other than the condition of the engine guard? Hopefully everything should be fine. :sadblue
  10. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    Battery Probem in Linea - need help!

2 days ago my Linea 1.4 would not start, remote not working neither any lights switching on. Car runs everyday and and was running perfectly the previous day as well. The car and battery are around 15 months old so there should be more battery life left - so it looked like some other fault.

Called Roadside Assistance who helped me jump start the car. I took the car all the way to ABS workshop in Gurgaon. The supervisor Satpal who came to check the car said that the guy who checks the battery is off, so go out and get the battery checked. I told him that the battery was only 15 months old and since Exide batteries have at least a 2 year battery life could he check the electricals, relay etc - but he was in no mood to listen and said go check the battery from somewhere.

I walked into a room marked CRM where I requested that someone look more thoroughly at the car. A guy called Rajkumar came out and I related the possible faults again to him(as though I am the mechanic not the other way round) and to please check the car more thoroughly. He disappeared with Satpal, got a computer gadget. He fiddled with the computer for a few minutes but it seemed to not work, so he threw the gadget down on the front passenger seat and then went to check the battery. They actually had a multimeter to check the battery and he showed me the gravity which was low.(The earlier guy Satpal was insisting that no one could check the battery since the battery guy was off). Again I insisted that please check electricals etc since the battery could not have gone down just like that but he said go and get the battery charged there's nothing we can do everything is ok(without really checking anything).

I came back and got the battery charged for the mandatory 24-hour charging period. Next day again it did not start with no sign of battery life. I called up the workshop and spoke to the works manager Bhup Singh who said it may be an alternator problem. Since Sat and Sun are extremely busy days at the workshop I offered to come on Monday.

In my mind there could be 3 reasons why the battery is getting discharged:

Alternator may not be working
    There may be a relay problem
    Electricals may be faulty

Actually I read someone's post in another forum where his Linea had the same problem of battery getting discharged. He was also told it is a battery problem at some Tata Fiat workshop and so he bought a new battery. The new battery also got discharged and when he went to the workshop again it turned out that the relay was faulty due to which the battery was getting discharged. Poor guy ended up paying for a new battery.

I don't want to end up with the same fate. Tata Fiat workshop is as usual poor when it comes to helping worried customers and diagnosing problems.

I am going to the workshop again on Monday. I have visited the workshop at least 20 times in the last 15 months over some problem or the other - some I may have written about and others I have just not been able to discuss, it hurts. I have a big sense of apprehension now since there has been a history of poor service. After reading accounts of various forum members, in previous instances I have even written to Fiat in Pune also but it has not really helped. The only difference it makes is that some telephone assistant of theirs calls up and asks what is the problem(no matter how detailed my note was describing the problem) and then asks you to go to the workshop. After a few days he calls again to ask is the problem fixed then if you say no he says again go to the workshop. Great help! If you mention at the workshop that you have written to Fiat in Pune they just shrug indifferently.

Have I tried other workshops? They're all the same. In some of the Tata Fiat workshops e.g. Auto Link in Delhi I could not find a singe Linea or Punto even though the Fiat Logo was displayed. .

If anyone has had a similar battery discharge problem or knows about some issue with electricals etc in Linea PLEASE let me know. I the meantime I am praying that things go well on Monday. gadget.jpg
    The gadget that does not work, and someone checking the battery finally

checking battery.jpg