1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Headlamp upgrade - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chakra, Jun 1, 2010.

1. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    I dont understand this. If its a metal plate its a physical barrier . Till it is alive it should not allow a pebble or a thud to touch the engine or the SUMP. In case of Vijay was it that the metal plate itself got damaged to such an extent that it could not stop anything from touching the oil sump ? Vijay please confirm ; because one of the ways I market Fiat among my friends is based on this metal plate :???:
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not only pebbles, it even protects the sump from big rocks like it happened to me during my initial days with my GP. A rock was lying hidden in the dirt, hits the engine guard and comes out of the dirt completely, hits the fuel tank, thud!!, broken fuel tank. Also its not a bullet proof sheet, there is a limit to which it can protect. You can continue marketing the metal plate (Fiat dont), it does its job to perfection.
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    It does protect the underbelly very well. His case must have been an extreme one in which the sharp edges of the rock must have hit the sump through the opening in the engine guard plate.
  4. vijay

vijay Timido

assam
    hi viny i was not ready to tow my car for 300km due to very bad road condition and hilly place and also i had to pay very big amount. dealer also suggested me the same thing but i refused fearing other damage in car.

as asked by vivek initially i was also confused why not it was protected by metal plate. when local mechanic took out damaged sump and metal plate everybody was surprised. sump was not only damaged but it was brutually damaged. mid of sump had a big hole and side wall had also developed crack.metal plate had not broken but it was disfigured at the point of collison. i am still confused how it can happen. but i think one reason has most probability as also suggested by mechanic. the place where this incident occurred,road was in very bad condition. mid sized stones had come out and there was a turning with slight uphill. my car was at the speed of around 50km/hr. after turning i saw the stones, initially i thought it will not collide with my car but when i reached nearby stone i applied a little break.as i passed through stone,i heared a thud sound. now i am thinking due to break and suspension car may have gone down and collide with stone.due to weight and speed of car this type of damage may have occured.i don't know this type of situation can happen or not. regarding this everybody suggestion is required. in future it may prevent another such incident.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Vijay:
    When we apply brakes, the suspension gets a bit "compressed" leading to lowering of ground clearance a bit and the chances to hit the bottom increase.

OT:: This theory is used in court during Hit and Run cases/RTA cases where a pedestrian is hit by a car. They measure the height of the bumper's most protruding part from the ground and then they measure the height at which the pedestrian shows sign of being hit by the bumper. If the latter is lower than the former, it proves that the accused had braked to save the pedestrian and the accused is likely to get a lighter punishment than what he would have got otherwise.

Important- Can anybody confirm the price of Oil filter for MJD? Vijay got it for Rs200 whereas I think it should cost Rs400 for diesel Punto. Hope they did not give you the oil filter for petrol Punto. I am not sure.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Headlights beam Automatically Switched

Hi

Yesterday I was driving around 9p.m. I was on high beam.
    Suddenly headlight beam automatically switched to low beam.
    I remember clearly ,I had not touch the the dipper switch.
    Still the beam switched to low beam without touching the dim/deep switch.
    I checked it again. But after that beam did not switch.
    What is the cause of automatic switching the beam. ? What could be wrong ?
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Bhai,
    This is strange. I had occasions where the headlight got switched off while trying the turn indicators. But this is unique. Possibility of some issue with the switch connected to the stalk, have u run over any pothole when this happened?

Rajeev
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes, this is a possibility. Or maybe some connections are loose?
  9. bhai
    seems to be loose contact. get that checked.
    or did you get that auto dipping lights fixed onto your car???
  10. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

Pune
    I've been having these strange things in my car too . Not with the headlights though . When it rains heavily , sometimes the door sensors dont work , the display always shows the door as open and I keep hearing the beep all the time I drive . Mind you , this happens only when it rains really heavily . Now the new problem , when it rains heavily , sometimes the wipers dont shut off . Even if I turn of the knob the wipers still keep running . The only way to turn them off is to turn off the car and turn on again .