1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you got a bonnet bulge on your car???

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Bala, May 8, 2012.

1. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Wasan at that time was offering another solution - they wanted to sandpaper the whole bonnet & repaint it. I refused though. Dont know if 'dry denting' that someone was referring to means the same. Anyway I think the bulges get highlighted only in bright sunlight when the bonnet surface is clean & reflects a lot
    1 person likes this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Bulge may happen when the spot welding that join the sheet to the frame members on the inside of the bonnet give up. There seems no other way a bulge can happen as these metal sheets will not expand on its own to that extent. You can possibly see what I am saying if you remove the black heat guard and peep in from the bonnet bottom. You will see a series of welds.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  3. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    I agree with you Abdul. Its possible that the spot welds give up easily coz of the shape of the bonnet. Where most cars these have some lines flowing/cutting the bonnet, the linea bonnet is one curved piece which must adding to the pressure on these joints.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Param.

After I reported this to Fiat 2 years back, in TASS they took photos and sent them to FIAT, but later came to know that FIAT denied this saying that it has happened due to improper handling. The only way to prove this is to show the number of instances.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i agree with Soumen...we all should send a common mail with pics attached of all the cars...
  6. Same thing with me. TASS put markers on the bulges ( as these cannot be seen in pictures ) and took pictures of it. Only to inform me later that it's a paint defect! and we will offer a free repaint. I have not taken that offer yet. I asked to give me in writing that FIAT says it's a paint defect, but they are not ready to do it.