1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you got a bonnet bulge on your car???

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Bala, May 8, 2012.

1. Nikhil Goel

Nikhil Goel Amatore

This is the best part of integirity in FIAT owner's even a small problem is discussed in detail here:
    Anyways, I own 2 Punto's: 1st (done 45000Kms) is of June 2010 made and 2nd (done 15000 Kms) is Dec 2011. What I can say about this probelm is that its not a manufacturing defect because I cannot see this in my new second punto.
    But in my first punto 2 years old now, I can see 3 bulge as mentioned below but I doubt that it is due to below two reasons my car had undergone at Delhi roads:
    1. People don't use hand breaks while stopping in traffic jams at slops and innocently hit the back car badly. I hate these lazy people for god's sake hand brake should be used anyways it is not eating up extra fuel. My 1st car has been thrashed twice like this by 2 idiots.
    2. Once, I was sandwitched between a series of 10 cars hitting on road by sudden braking and I was in between but I thanked the hard material used by FIAT here becuase nothing was damaged from front and back.

I doubt that these events developed these bulgs in my car but cannot be sure on this but can only think this way because closing the bonnet cannot be issue with the kind of sheet used in FIAT. Will post the pics soon.
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I cannot think of anything causing the bumps in the car.....its only 3 months old..and they have appeared recently..i noticed them 10 days back.......in this thread there is one ore case...the car developed bulges in 2nd day....will take the car for first service on 23rd...lets see..
  3. For the cars with bulges, if you open the bonnet you will see a bracket supporting the bonnet sheet. The bonnet sheet self is strong but the bulge is happening at the points where this bracket is "welded" to the bonnet. so when the bonnet is closed, there is pressure on these points and hence these bulges. Mine is 2009 Linea and I thought this was issue only on the old batches. But people are reporting it on new cars also now.
    BTW- I had visited TASS yesterday for some other work and later in the evening could easily see that the bulges on my bonnet had become more prominent then before. May be the way the bonnets are opened and closed at the TASS is also adding to the problem. First time I saw these when I did my 3'rd service last year and I saw this next day after the service.
    2 people like this.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

You are spot on ! It is definitely something to do with the bracket under the bonnet. The bulge which is little depression and a small bulge is in the area only. It was there from day 1 of my purchase, but due to lack of proper PD Inspection I missed that and later could not prove this to Fiat.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

What the heck, I just noticed the budge today on my linea's bonnet while waxing. I was wondering whether a stone flew off from someones elses tyre and hit my bonnet etc etc , and now i see this thread.

Something needs to be done to highlight this to the FIAT management. The security in my office daily opens the bonnet for checking. I dont really know what they see inside.
    1 person likes this.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

In 2009 there was a orkut group for Fiat wher I was a member. This bonnet bulge issue was a hot discussion there for long.
    I feel some members took this to Fiat as well.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Sorry for not sharing the pics.
    But i got rid of the bulges today,removed through dry denting.
    Paid 150 bucks;)
  8. I sent an email to whatever email ids I could find from this forum. But no one replied. They clearly know that it's a problem but are avoiding it. Don't know what more could be done to sort this out with FIAT.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Let's see what we can do to sort this out with FIAT. The problem is bonnet is the biggest part of the car and it completely spoils the look of the car for no fault of ours.
  9. arian

arian Amatore

i had my bonnet replaced once at WASAN in mumbai due to this bulge. Strangely they didnt charge me (it was indeed a common complaint those days). Mine is a 2009 model. But the irony is that the new one also developed bulges (infact more than the older one). Now i have learnt to live it (though the colour silver camouflages nicely)
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Mine is 2010 dec model. Still i am having the bulge problem.