1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you got a bonnet bulge on your car???

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Bala, May 8, 2012.

1. As I said, the bulge can hardly be seen in camera pictures. But it is very visible to naked eye. TASS says that it's faulty paint job; but actually you can feel the bulge when you touch it.

My question to Gurjinder/Ravi/All Moderators - Can we do something collectively on this issue or do we need to fight our individual battles?

Does our forum has that much power that if we take up an issue of a manufacturing defect with Fiat, they will give us a hearing???
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @ MJP the bulge in your car is not the same bulge we are talking about as it's in different location. Don't settle for anything less than a new bonnet.

I have tried taking pictures of bulge and it just doesn't show in pictures and having a White color doesn't help either as it just hides small imperfections in body.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Param, TFI is no way connected to Fiat, so issue has to be taken individually. But sure one can put this thread link in communication.

But again, I don't see any bulge in my bonnet yet (manufacturing defect). And till we are sure it is default issue with all cars, very difficult to say it is manufacturing defect.
    I would suggest whenever next meet happens in your city, do check other cars as well.
  4. Ashpalio

Ashpalio Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My thought -

If we look at this issue to be a manufacturing defect, it cannot be random. So it would be easier if all the owners who observe/feel the bulge on the bonnet please collate the manufacture month/year of your car. This way we will have the trend and see it its a certain batch.

If we look at this issue to be due to improper usage of the bonnet, well, we can look to the design of the bonnet and see if indeed there are stress points which are leading to such bulges and see what can be done to avoid them.

anyone thinks this makes sense?
  5. ---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

I agree on your 1'st point. Let's first find out the batches. One thing is sure, it's not on all lineas/puntos.
    On my last visit to TASS in Jan2012 ( to show them these bulges ) I checked other Lineas stationed there for the services. Most of them had it (7 out of 10) and some of them had such that you can see from distance. In most cases what's happening is people think "they" might have done something sometime that these bulges are formed. This is what I thought initially. When you open the bonnet you see the supporting structure below the bonnet. Some bracket between the bonnet and this supporting structure is the cause of it.

I don't agree on your 2'nd point. It could not be due to improper usage of bonnet. It could be because of "usage" of bonnet. It is directly related to how many times that bonnet is opened and closed.
    My daily running is hardly 6km and till date running is 15k only in 3 years. I hardly need to open the bonnet to check for oils etc. It's only opened at TASS. Had I opened the bonnet more then those bulges could have been more protruding.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Thanks Ravi.

It might not be be all the cars, but with most of them - I think.
    I already know few people from my city Mumbai who have/had these bulges. In some cases TASS repainted the bonnet and in some case replaced it also. In my case they are offering repaint which I'm not too keen to accept.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. avoid taking shots with the tree reflections. Cant make out anything.
  7. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So the bulge has arrived after 3 months....today i noticed a small bulge in the middle of the bonet...which can be seen from side angles....and i have not opened the bonet for last 1 month.....

my car is Feb 2012 manufactured...

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I also have the same bulge at same place
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    waiting for comments....
  9. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    So whats the conclusion, which batch has bulge?

mine is Jan 2011, no bulge.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  10. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    there are 3 small bulge on the bonnet, one is right in the middle.......according to me it should be a manufacturing defect.....my car is only 3 months old