1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you got a bonnet bulge on your car???

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Bala, May 8, 2012.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes,Ravi,I shall try to post some pictures,but,it's the same two bulges at the same point as seen in the pictures of all the other Linea owners.Though my car belongs to the first batch of the released cars-Feb-2009,the bonnet was repaired post accident in Dec-2010.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bala, manufacturing defect should be similar everywhere, isn't it? It can't be one for someone and 2 or more for someone, and none for some people.
    That is why, any picture will make it more clear for others to verify if it is limited to few or its common.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think it is not the manufacturing defect, It is due to pressure applied on the bonnet either for closing it other people pressing against the bonnet.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Mvb4u,it should be a manufacturing defect,otherwise how would the bulges occur at the same point in all the cars and that too,the same number,2?.Yes,it may occur because of the pressure applied while closing the bonnet,but it doesn't occur in cars of other manufacturers!
    Ravi,even if pictures are not posted here,you guys while meeting up at Yelagiri can see the bulges in person!!!
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Untill I see some pictures, I do not want to believe this. I doubt if Fiat can overlook such a major design/manufacturing flaw
    especially given Indian conditions. And going by their past record, if it was indeed such a major thing, shouldn't they have issued a recall notice?

It is a standard practice across the world not to press the bonnet while closing. Not just in Fiat, but in all cars. I don't know why in India people love to press the bonnet and keep pressing it to double check? When we bought an Etios recently, the Toyota showroom guys expressly told us to just drop the bonnet gently and it will get locked in place. He mentioned some mechanism they've built into the bonnet to ensure it locks. Infact, if you press-close the Etios' bonnet, the lock will break. It is quite pressure sensitive.

Moreover, while we as owners might take extra care while closing the bonnet, there are so many instances where bonnet is opened as part of a security check (malls, multiplex, hotels etc.). And in most instances there are several guys doing the check simultaneously i.e. one guy at the bonnet, one at the boot while one is issuing you the ticket. In such a case, your attention is bound to get diverted (esp. when you are alone in the car).

In fact there have been occasions where even I did not get a chance to instruct the guy 'not-to-force-close-the-bonnet'. Most other times, I do make it a point to tell him clearly.

Anyway, further comments are reserved till I see pics from all the users who have reported this bulge. Also, I'm curious to know whether this design flaw is restricted to Linea alone or prevalent in Punto too?
    1 person likes this.
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As we have only two hands. And it is common when closing bonnet we stand in the center of the car press it that is why it may occur at the same place.

Regarding other cars of other make I hope dj.nish had given the clarification.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I'm sorry I did not get your point. What clarification do you need from me?

Anyway, this is what I know from experience:
    Toyota Etios - the salesman told us not to apply pressure to close the bonnet as it can break the lock. But there was not mention of a bulge being formed because of this.

I have owned Hyundai Getz, Honda City, Tata Indica and Maruti Swift in the last 10 years. In all cars, the methodology of closing the bonnet was to drop it gently from a height but press it *just slightly* so that it click-snap-locks in position. However, law of averages applied, there were several instances wherein bonnet was either closed in my absence, or closed by un-educated and under-informed people. So they did use brute force. But in none of the cars did I see any *bulge*.

Lastly, I believe the sheet metal used by Fiat is thickest amongst all it's competitors (esp much much more thick than Maruti). So I'm wondering if Swift did not develop this bulge, how can Linea?
    1 person likes this.
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Regarding bala's comment of why other manufacturer's car won't develop bulges on bonnet I gave that reply. As you said even in other cars the procedure for closing the bonnet is dropping from a certain height and not pressing. So, I am not expecting the clarification from you and saying that you have already clarified the point.

Hope, this clarifies you.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    When I bought my MS Versa in 2004, I was advised by the SA to drop the bonnet from a small height, and specifically cautioned not to press using my hand. But, the Versa owner's manual did not contain any such instructions. But, Linea owner's handbook contains clear instructions to drop the bonnet from a height of 20 cm while closing. My Linea does not have any bulge or depression on the bonnet.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. 1. The bulges can't be seen in pictures.
    2. In my case the bonnet is opened only 3/4 times a year and that too at the TASS. So no question of closing it with wrong procedure.
    3. Bulge starts appearing after 2/3 years.
    4. Seven cars of out 10 at the service station had these bulges.
    5. In 2009 model lineas; particular batch.
    6. I have written to almost everyone at fiat, no one replied.
    7. The bulge can be seen from a particular angle. If you can't see it from 3/4 angles, then it's not there in your case.
    8. The picture below marking where the two prominent bulges will appear first. then two more will appear below these spots forming a trapezium.
    fialtbulge.jpg