1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you got a bonnet bulge on your car???

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Bala, May 8, 2012.

1. sudhakar

sudhakar

Ghaziabad
    Right said SoumenPaul,

Even when i showed this to Fiat person, he was also clueless because when you check inside you can't find the cause of it.
  2. Hi Bala,

Even I have it in my 2009 Linea. The problem is it grows with time and depends on how many times you open the shut the bonnet. It will begin to form a trapezium points.
    I have shown it to my dealers here and they say it's a bad paint job and offered to repaint the bonnet. But my guess is it will reappear after few months. It is caused by a faulty bracket below the bonnet. I'm trying hard to get it replaced for my peace of mind.
    Do you think we can take it together with Fiat management in Pune and write them a joint email?
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can somebody post a picture please.
  4. mathuranuj

mathuranuj Amatore

Delhi
    What is the position of this bulge? A picture would help. Also can you post the procedure of how you close the hood lid?
  5. Nuts&Bolts

Nuts&Bolts Novizio

Auburn Hills, MI
    The bulge happens when we press close the hood. Fiat recommends dropping the hood from 20 to 30 degree opening angle.

Extra Info:
    During the development of a closure, the stiffness of the outer panel is usually checked via different load cases. One of the cases include, loads applied on the outer panel via a soft loading pad on probable locations where customers have tendency to apply force ( this can be for closing the hood/ while washing the car etc). After loading the hood will be checked for permanent deformations on the outer panel. Two types of deformations can happen at this stage, deformations due to the applied load & deformations due to the impression left by the inner components like striker plate/ palm dimpler or even the inner panel, if they are coming in contact due to the loading.

So, next time when you rest your palm on the hood/ even sit on the edge remember that there is a threshold load all these parts can take & this applies to all Automotive parts.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    even though fiat recommends dropping the bonnet , What I've found after my tests is that you can simply let the bonnet rest on the lock and press firmly..
    you will hear a click sound and that should also do it.

If my mechanical knowledge is any correct , i think when you drop the bonnet from a height, the vibrations induced dont have any place to go so pulls the metal and thus expands it.. perhaps that's why you see a bulge.

Also what is a bulge in this case??
    Please take pics ,we are all shooting arrows in the dark if we dont know what a bulge looks like
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    number of members have asked for the pics,but still the thread owner didnt responded.
    Mods better to close the thread :D .

theblack,
    let us dont think on this now :D
  8. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you press the bonnet for closing or any other fellow presses the bonnet you will get bulges on the sides or on the top of the place where hand is rested. This appears only from certain angels. for closing bonnet drop it from above the 20 cms. from the closing position. And don't allow any people to press the bonnet.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Actually the bulges in my bonnet are the ones that occurred on a replaced/repaired bonnet post an accident repair job,so should be some defects in the frame of the bonnet,rather than the metal sheet.
    Very bad,that Fiat doesn't fix manufacturing defects like bonnet bulges,loose,often detaching A/C drainage pipes,etc,even after 3 years of launching the car,or doesn't FIAT-INDIA know about it???
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bala, till you show some pictures, how can one confirm its manufacturing issue or it is just related to your car?
    I don't see any bulge, but I might be missing to see it properly. Post a clear picture please.