1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you driven a new Punto lately?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if the gear ratio is changed we can easily make out irrespective of rpm. with engine giving full blast i.e say 2500 rpm there will always be a fixed speed on normal flat roads.

so say if there is gear ratio X on punto 75hp @ 2500 rpm speed will be say 20 in 2nd gear
    if there is gear ratio Y on punto 90hp @ 2500 rpm speed will be say 30 in 2nd gear

its just an example.

i also checked boost at various rpms through OBD. its same on 2010 and 2011 models.

so no ecu mapping too.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

thanks for posting this. this also assures there is no change in gear ratio.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I wonder if the apparent improvement we are discussing is part of the export programs .
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ok guys here is the delayed update.

First the driving updates :

1. The car was not pulling as well as it was on the first day. The first gear did not pull as sweetly as it did on the first day i drove it. The second was fine as usual. Maybe the ECU has already adjusted to the new driver? Who is a very, very sedate driver.

The rpm's at 40kmph in 3rd gear is 1800. So that is a difference of 200rpm's as compared to Kedar's Punto 90. Maybe the difference is specific to models?

Now, the not so good updates :

1. It is pulling to the left. A case of alignment it seems. Was perfect when i first drove it.

2. A grrrr grrrr noise has started coming on turning the steering either way, at lower speeds and while trying to rotate steering on a stationary car. Steering rack issues?

This has bought a slight bit of disappointment to the owners, and to me as well. I really pulled them out of a Honda showroom and brought them to a FIAT one to see the Punto and used all my sales skills to sell the Punto to them. :p

So, I shall be booking the car in for a checkup in the coming days and will update on the noise and alignment. I'll personally take the car to the TASS workshop.

Cheers!
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^^ now Gurjinder, you have to play the role of service advisor too :) after your salesman role.

if you observe the video carefully in 3rd gear the needle is just touching 40kmph at 1800 rpm and remains near the mark till 2000 rpm. so we just have same readings with different calibrations.

Edit : oops i forgot to add video :firey will do it today.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Gurjinder, Check whether the two front tyres are not displaced slightly from each other. Imagine a cylinder of same diameter as tyre and both should exactly pass through it. One can find it out using streched fingers(approaximately).
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    @ Italia - Yes bro, now i'm Sales Cum Service Advisor :p . TASS has given me 14th November for bringing in the Punto for the checkup. God knows the reason behind such waiting periods.

@Sungoa - Yes i'll be taking the car to the dealer as i said and will see whether it's a case of alignment etc or whether it's related to the noise, which comes when the steering is rotated either way. ( I'm strongly suspecting a bad steering rack).

Cheers.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    To conclude, Punto remains same.

What about interior fit n finish@Gurjinder?

I remember the T-bhp guy mentioned much positive about the same.
  8. Pilot_On_Wheels

Pilot_On_Wheels

Pune
    Very rightly said... The ECU adapts to your driving style... Also for sure you will have better performance if outside temp is in early 20's ;)
  9. devansn

devansn Novizio

Coimbatore
    Yes, even I felt a difference after the 30K service. I was mentioning to my friend that the low end torque has improved a lot. Disconnecting the -ve terminal for 20-30 minutes will reset the ECU is a news to me as well. I think its a good idea to do this before a long drive everytime. Is there any issues in doing this a couple of times an year?

Also, is it possible to get a confirmation from Fiat officials if there are indeed any changes in the ECU mapping in new Puntos and Lineas? Any of us who are friends with people at Fiat?
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    I wish i had some better updates to list.

There started a noise from the steering of the Punto which has refused to go away even after spending two days at the Workshop. Elastic pads etc etc all were checked and found to be in good order.

The so called Works Manager , who supervises all repairs and replacements flatly refused to believe there is any sound. Even though the Service Advisor had told him that there is an unnatural sound. After heated and not so heated arguments with him, i called it a day and wrote it on the Job Card that no resolution of the problem has been done and all issues remain pending as is.

The car was also pulling to the left which was traced to the tire not being mounted properly to the rim. That was set right and it's not pulling anymore. But that said, an upgrade from these cheap and dumb JK tyres is highly recommended. Go for Yoko's Michelins etc.

Bottomline - The buyer is disappointed. That the new car has stayed two days at the Workshop and still no resolution. And it is her first ever car. I was the salesperson for this deal , and i'm embarassed too.

Next plan of Action- Drive the car for a month and observe the noise. Then plan what to do. In the meantime i shall contact FIAT guys and see if they can respond beyond what they routinely say.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.