1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you driven a new Punto lately?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks Ramjn for the link.

This guy Cliffhanger is describing something very similar to what i experienced. The difference.

The 'curious case of the new Puntos' definitely needs to be looked at with more precision now.

And an appeal to fellow TFIans - Please try and take test drives of the cars of fellow memebers ( hope you dont mind!) , with an emphasis on drivers exchanging cars who drive some of the early puntos with the latest Puntos. Same with the Linea. That'll definitely provide more and more opinions and data on this interesting issue.

Can someone get in touch with FIAT and ask whether any changes have been implemented?

Cheers.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wow...i can say that much after going through cliffanger's review.

Thanks for the link Ramjn and Big thanks for Gurjinder for bringing it to TFI.

Wow.
  4. omzworld

omzworld

Experience of a new owner

Hey guys, I have been following this thread for some time now and want to add my experience.

DISCLAIMER - I havent driven old Punto and in fact any other car except i10.
    I got mine in Sept and its Jul'11 make.

As far as power is concerned havent felt the car is sluggish at all. Of course haven't tried a swift or a older Punto to compare with, but you can feel the power once the throttle is opened. I hear a lot about short 2nd gear but haven't felt it. In bumper to bumper traffic its always 2nd gear without throttle and its quite eager to pull.
    As its only 1.5K in Odo so not giving the pedal to metal treatment but still once in a while when going till 3000rpm it feels amazing!

I stay in BTM, anyone want to do a one to one comparo is most welcome this weekend :)
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    May be Fiat might be trying the new tuning with newer puntos before a face lift. It is a good strategy to test it on existing vehicle. Thanks Gurjinder for opening this interesting thread.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is becoming more and more interesting.
    I am eager to know the case with Linea's. Mine is May'11 and I want someone who own older Linea to drive mine and give me feedback.
    As far as my feedback about the car after driving 90HP Punto, this one accelerates better. The first gear is of course short. But, the car pulls well from second gear onwards.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Its almost official now.

Today harry_1407 has met few officials from Fiat at a dealership in Chennai. They have confirmed to him that Punto has been re-tuned from June'2011. harry_1407 should throw more light on this.
  7. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Guys,

Had been to the Fiat chennai showroom at Anna salai today morning to pick up my RC book (smart card). I had a discussion with a gentleman who was wearing a FIAT Blue T-shirt and a cargo. This guy was telling me that there is indeed a Tuning change done for GP 90 HP car after june '11 but he did not mention anything about 75HP one and linea. I had a suspect and asked for his business card for which he said he doesn't have one at present. I am very much confused here. This guy also asked for Vin number of my vehicle and immediately responded that my vehicle has the new tuning. The reason told for this change was better pick-up in second gear and a marginal increase in fuel efficiency. 90HP owners kindly share your car's fuel efficiency so that i can compare with mine. The funniest part is that my SA was not aware of these things where as his lead says THEY(Fiat) MIGHT have done some change:(.

I really don't know what to say. What ever it is i enjoy this Italian Beauty.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    "Retuned"!!!!!! mouthwatering now.mmmmm slrp slrp.

Mechanical or electronics..anybody.... or both?
  9. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Why he didn't mention anything about 75HP? In Team-Bhp link he drove a 75HP version. So i think retuning applies for 75HP version aswell. How is gear ratio controlled?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Interesting development, if it's software only why not slap it on older cars, not that it's bad now.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.