1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you driven a new Punto lately?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    My punto is june 2010 make. I have said this before also, i have never felt it drives slow in the city bumper to bumper traffic.
    the trade off is offcourse the mileage. with this kind of spirited driving (if i may say so) i get 12 kmpl consistently.
    Guys who get a similar city mileage can relate to what i am saying better!! :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder, this performance improvement is a change FIAT has been carrying around continuously. I have a June 2010 Punto and my friend bought a Jan 2011 Punto. The difference in pick up was clearly evident and his car just zoomed like a rocket as compared to mine even though his car had less than 500km on odo.

I just hope FIAT instead puts more effort in improving the paint "process" and make sure some basic niggles seen lately (loose link rod, O-ring failure leading to AC gas leak) don't occur even in a single car.
  3. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    I have April 2010 PUNTO EP. When I drive it I feel like I drive a heavy car as SUV. My friend have Linea make June 2011 when I drive it I feel it was light than my punto.
    @ shams
    Like your FE I get 13-14 in city and 18-19 on highway with A/C on 24 degree temp. Some time it I get more then 20 on highway.;)

BR.
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Increase in performance and response could also b due to the fact the earlier punto's weighed heavier than the current ones, if I am not wrong 60 kgs was the weight reduction ???
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    If what you say is true, Gurjinder, then this is indeed good news because for most people the sluggish performance was the deal breaker. Maybe Fiat have tweaked the ECU alongwith the some changes in the gearing? Do follow up with your relative on the mileage part. We need to see if the sprightly performance has impacted mileage in any way.

A bit off topic: If the Punto & Linea's performance has indeed been tweaked then why isnt' Fiat talking about it? If this was done by any other manufacturer then there would have been a big hoopla over a refreshed model with improved looks, interiors, features & performance and what not. The companies would have tweaked the looks a bit - bumper's , head & taillights and new upholstery for interiors and then launched it as a refreshed model.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    LOL...Like "Google" I must say. they never advertise or bling bling new features, may it be email or any other application. they just keep improving and we users enjoys better experience day by day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is true Amit. Having driven the Linea MJD for the past nearly 8 months, the difference in performance , in the first two gears, was as clear as day and night. Forget the Linea, i've driven my maternal uncle's 2009 Punto and it was not even half of this newer Punto. No two opinions on it. The weight factor in the comparison with Linea, as i have repeatedly stressed did not play any part here at all (5 occupants).

Post delivery, the Punto was driven ~70km's for a couple of visits to the Gurdwara and another relatives place. The MID showed 19kmpl for these 70km's. But the car was babied during these 70km's. I'll update with more figures as time goes by.

Jayadev is bang on. FIAT forgot to market their cars the right way in the first place. Buggers wouldn't advertise any changes they do to their cars.

Cheers.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Well I hope for the next TFI meet can surely clarify this. Gurjinder will definitely check this and update you . Even I am sure the weight reduction cannot bring such a noticeable difference. But if there had been any ECU tweak or gear ration change, it surely would have come out at least as a leaked news even if Fiat doesn't publish. Are they doing R & D directly on customers :eek: ? But one thing what I felt was resetting the ECU does bring a change in power delivery & mileage. I was getting slightly less mileage than usual for quiet sometime. Yesterday I had reset the ECU (disconnecting the -ve terminal for 10 mins). Now I started feeling a difference in power & the mileage has also increased . I am not saying that this is the issue being discussed here. But I felt that doing a smooth ride trying to achieve more mileage makes the car a bit sluggish. Even though I used to show higher rev now & then this happened. Maybe I should increase the frequency of rev up .
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It is bit contradictory. as far as my source of Information is right , I heard that punto/linea production have been stopped since some times. Plant have only 300 punto's and a few lineas in stock at present...not to worry guys...fresh Fiats are going to show up by early 2011.

Probably the last lot prodction might have got an ECU updates
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    is it true that with time the ECU gets tuned to our driving style and the car starts behaving in the way we want it to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.