1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Have you driven a new Punto lately?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gurjinder, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

This sunday i went with a relative to take delivery of a BNW Punto Emotion MJD . The car is an October manufactured vehicle, as the VIN ends in KMZ. I could not take a test drive on Sunday itself as i had to rush from there.

Today, i got to drive it, and what i felt has compelled me to make this post.

The car is a REVELATION. It is an eye opener. The way it picks up speed through all the gears is just insane. It has just 100km's on the clock right now and the engine is already feeling free and happy to rev. And this engine is music to the ears when it is idling.

The "dreaded" and highly criticized first and second gears seem to be a thing of the past. It has better acceleration than even our Linea in the first and second gears. The Linea cannot hold a candle to the Punto in the first two gears.

Now, the interesting part:

Has FIAT woken up and implemented some changes to the engine?
    I remember driving a 2009 Punto MJD and it displayed the classic 1st and 2nd gear sluggishness. But in this KMZ Punto, those issues seem to be a thing of the past. My brother also drove the Punto and he too was blown away by the sprighty performance. And he also commented that it beats the Linea in the first 2 gears itself.

I am absolutely sold on the Punto.

What are your thoughts?

2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

nopes, there are no changes whatsoever in the old and new punto.

well comparing linea with punto will not be fair. during the TFI meet when i drove Countrocks punto i felt it was lot quicker.

this is the difference how a light and heavy car drives.

not only this sometimes i feel my linea drives crazy fast and sometimes i feel its slow, and it actually happens :)

by the way did you buy a new punto :) congrats
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. Hi Gurji,

I too agree with you, I hold a May 2011 Punto and its truly "fun to Drive car". When i took the delivery i had not rev hard the RPM as i know i need to do run-in period. I even thought to get a tuning box for the Punto. But when i started rev hard, it was a blower, could take 100`s in some sec, so dropped the thought of getting my punto a tuning box.
    and the Best part i like is i could drive my car bumper to bumper with clutch in 2nd gear(in stand still position can drive the car in 2nd gear), no acceleration needed. which i found in other cars very difficult.
    I think many PUNTO owner in Bangalore saw be cursing in Inner ring road at morning and late night time :p
  4. gurjinder

I agree with the weight part.

But at the point of this test drive which i refer to, there were 5 people in the car. :) And it was flying.

The weight difference between the Linea and Punto MJD is just 90kg. With 5 people sitting in the car, i'm sure the advantage of the Punto having a slightly lesser weight ceases to exist. And yes i've driven the Linea both while sitting alone and also with 5 onboard.

This bit made the drive much more interesting.

So my take is that there are certainly some changes to the way the engine has been tuned.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Na na Italia bhai. It belongs to a close relative ! :p
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

yeah that was what i am mentioning about my own linea.

sometimes it drives very fast. revvs very eagerly even at very low rpms. but sometimes she doesnt go that fast.

this happens when climate is different and also when i switch from bharat petroleum to HP etc.

so i think when you test drove earlier and now you are feeling a noticable difference.

another example is when i remove the battery connections for 20 min and reset the ECU car zooms crazy. after a long city run she again becomes lazy.

and by now i know 100% that you got my point and you know better than me about what i am saying :)

by the way, drop an email to FIAT for your commission to sell a fiat car ;)
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Lol@Italinea Linea
    But if some thing goes wrong with the A.S.S. or the car,his friend might recover the commision from Gurjinder!
  7. Tron

Tron Superiore

Italiya bro, i agree with this thing 100%. Even i examin this thing, specially when my FE sarts dropping down. May be their are some good BP pumps but BP pumps i came across in mumbai till today are not good atal! Car's behaves differenly. As soon as i started filling from HP pumps, car is getting back on track. Even when i used to go for BP pump, once i faced ''check engine'' on MID for a day & i understood BP is a ''ZOLAR'' pump.

@Gurujindar bhai, even i drove one of my friend's punto. My thoughts were as same as yours but then our member Aniket described the weight factor & agreed with it.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. gurjinder

Let's stay optimistic friends. We at TFI know the chaff from the wheat.:)

Yes tron, but like i said, my experience of driving the Punto was with 5 people on board. So the weight advantage does not exist. And it was pulling much better than the Linea , which most of the time i drive alone when i do.

There's definitely more to it than meets the eye.
  9. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Thats good to hear.May be they can do the same to Linea as well :)

Is there any change in the Kerb weight of pre and post 2010 Puntos?

10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I think it is true, there are some improvements in new puntos. not my experience but my Brother said so, after driving it recently. I did not believe it.

but now I am interested to check it out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.