1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hatchback Mess: In 6-7 lacs.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by drnpunto, May 2, 2011.

1. drnpunto

drnpunto

MK-Ludhiana
    With a Budget of 6-7 lacs OTR, I'm in the search of a Diesel hatchback with my monthly running of 2-2.5k kms.
    My priorities are:
    -Good Highway stability.
    -Ample Torque & Powerband to clock miles on Highways without a fuss.
    -Refined yet Silent package(Lowest NVH).
    -Good Interiors.
    -Scared of Un-wanted breakdown in the middle of roads aka Reliability is much needed.
    -Wish to retain the car for Next 5-7 years.

The cars within which I'm confused now are;
    Fiat Punto 1.3 MjD Emotion Pack:
    Pros: Gorgeous Italian looks, Highway stability & equipments.
    Cons: Doubtful about its User-friendliness/Reliability(Punto owners please clarify this), Spare Parts Availability.

VW Polo 1.2 TDi:
    Pros: Excellent looks, design & Overall Quality.
    Cons: 3-cylinder engine(although its smooth but not satisfying), Top-end variant out of my budget.

Hyundai i20 CRDi Sportz:
    Pros: Punchy engine, Quality laden fully loaded package.
    Cons: Steering Rattle Issues, Weak AC, Low Ride-Height.

Current Swift isn't in my bag of options but I'll be hanging on my purchase till New Swift arrives.
    Waiting for your valuable Inputs for shortlisting the best option for me.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Punto 90 BHP is the right choice for your requirements.

Reliability is excellent & you need not worry about it. Day to day running spares are available on demand with all dealers, other parts are available in a week to 10 days time, as is the case with other brands.

You may go through the various Punto ownership reviews for a broad idea.

Let me congratulate you in advance for your Punto.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    if you have any kind of doubt ,then do not go for it. as the doubt is very infectious it will rob of your peace of mind and sleep in chances of certain issues. else nothing beats punto mjd.

nevertheless skoda fabia was not in your list but it is deemost suitable for your requirements than polo and i20 but skoda fabia will prove dearer after guarantee period and it is known truth.

i20's punchy engine starts giving trouble post 70k possibly it is overdoing its job(it is just a rumour as of now but truth will be said by future) and personally to me i20 is more bling bling inside out.

3 pot engine defilnitly doesnt make feel good for long term possession. it does make me feel it lacks . even digit cylinders are logically better for good noise and vibrations damping .it would take some time to know how 3 pots will fair in indian conditions i suspect more engine vibrations and noise in the long run as in maruthi omni etc.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. You said it mate. Very true !
  5. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    My replies in BOLD
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Since you mentioned that your budget is 6-7 lacs and a diesel hatchback... I am driving the Punto for 18 months and can surely say that no other hatchback even few sedans like DZire, Etios etc cannot beat it in terms of stability. Punto do have some rolling but only when compared with Palio else no other car in this range can beat this car in handling.

Coming to service, it is a very well known fact that if you keep you car in good shape you will never face any issues with service. I agree that there is a spare parts problem with Punto but that is only if your car met with a major accident and needs too many parts to be replaced which are not running parts else almost all the dealers stock good amount of spares.

Mileage wise Punto is a winner when compared to the other two cars. My suggestion would be to wait for new swift and compare it with Punto and completely rule out Polo and i20.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Dr Nishant- Welcome to TFI. Nice to see you here. I would add high maintenance cost to the cons of Polo.

Well i hope you get a fair idea about the reliability level after going through the forum and member feedback in this thread. otberwise, i have already recommended you Punto when we talked yesterday.

@Srikar- Calm down brother. One is free to seek genuine advise in the online forums. Thats what we are here for. :)
  8. sorry dr.Nishant.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hyundai i20:- As you know pros & cons of this car no need to discuss on this point. It is not value for Money ( starts from 7 lacs Diesel & does not provide Safety features.

Skoda FABIA & VW Polo:- Very very cramped rear seat. BIG NO for 3 persons on rear seat. As all know 3 pot punny engine ( 1.2 75 PS ).

FIAT Punto 90HP:- A VGT is most important aspect. It will satisfy your first three requirments
    -Good Highway stability.
    -Ample Torque & Powerband to clock miles on Highways without a fuss.
    -Refined yet Silent package(Lowest NVH).

Yes it is value for money. FIAT is offering Discount on it. You will get that car in less than 7.5 lacs.

Close you eyes & go for Punto 90HP. Dont worry about the reliability & enjoy the car. One more suggestion go for BNW Punto it looks amazing. Waiting for you valueable comments.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Kdar- The one under consideration is 75hp variant. And he finds it peppy enough. Tjough I agree that 90hp is a different power horse altogether.
    Highway stability and safety is same for both anyways.

Regarding i20, i think you can get the fully loaded top variant diesel for 7 lacs ex-showroom or not?