1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Has Tata Zica finally taken departure from the age old Tata design?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Turbothinghy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Zica seems to be a fresh new product from Tata. Whether it would make headlines, thats a different story, but the new product from Tata does look promising. Tata Bolt and Zest were also quite capable products per se, but the design (specially the front) still reminded of our age old Indica and the kind of Taxi image it has had for almost 2 decades, didnt help its case either.

Lets go through some of its pics:
    images (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    download.jpg
    images (2).jpg
    images.jpg
    images (4).jpg

The front does have a hint of Tata Indica, but nothing more, which I guess is good for Tata. The rear however, takes full departure, and looks like i10/i10 grand/old i20/new figoish, which is again not a bad move, since these cars have done good numbers in India. The interioir also look well appointed and lets hope they have the Harmon Kardon system in built (like in Bolt/Zest) to exude a premium feel.

As far engines are concerned, Tata Zica would come with 2 new home made engines:

1) A 1200 CC, 3 cylinder, Revotron petrol engine pumping out 84 bhp and 114 Nm at 6000 RPM and 3500 RPM respectively. For a car that weighs almost 1000 kgs these figures do look decent. The interesting bit here is that it comes with 2 driving modes: Eco and City. No Sport mode :confused:

2) A 1047 CC, 3 cylinder, Revotorq belting out 69 bhp and 140 Nm at 4000 RPMS and 1800-3000 RPM respectively. This engine makes the car heavier by ~70 kgs. It will also have the same 2 driving modes.

As expected, both the engines are mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. Pricing should also be competetive, in the vicinity of Celerio, i10/grand i10.
    mchanna likes this.
  2. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Yes, the design is very fresh. What I liked most is the compactness of wheel arch and tyre.Most the previous model including Vista and to some extent Bolt have huge gap between tyre and wheel arch.Zica looks well made, probably for Fiat fans the next best thing to Fiat is Tata in the entry segment,not a bad car to have for City drives....
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 2, 2015 ---
    Yes, the design is very fresh. What I liked most is the compactness of wheel arch and tyre.Most the previous model including Vista and to some extent Bolt have huge gap between tyre and wheel arch.Zica looks well made, probably for Fiat fans the next best thing to Fiat is Tata in the entry segment,not a bad car to have for City drives....
  3. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Looks like a great design but a pure combination of figo, polo and the grand i10.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Agreed. But I guess it's something people would still prefer over the smiling front face of all tata cars :D
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    In addition to the refreshingly new car Tata also needs a refreshingly new logo. Its boring to see the age old logo still hogging the cars. Although Zica is a move from the traditional taxi image look, but does it too have the historically know Tata issues too? If yes, then it will again be merged into the taxi cars list.

I had driven the Bolt with the Revtron engine and somehow was not upto my liking. The turbo charged engine IMO lacked the punch even in Sports mode.
    Turbothinghy and mchanna like this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Right the revotron lacked that turbo punch, but at least it was a segment first feature, and in sports mode at least, it rode well will very good drivability as well. Its good to see that Tata is trying hard. They missed the trick by their pricing stratergy with Bolt which was in a very close vicinity of Zest. A 90 HP Bolt with a stiffer suspension could have attracted some enthusiasts.

Lets see if Lionel Messi is able to turn tables for Tata or not :p
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. chandu.paladugu

chandu.paladugu Timido

Bangalore
    Very good to see homegrown company developing such a product. Only thing tata has to ensure is to market it properly and maintain their ASS.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 3, 2015 ---
    also side profile is resembling Brio to an extent !
    Turbothinghy and asimpleson like this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    If Tata's can guarantee a meet with the football superstar, I guess there will be buyers from at least the football fraternity. I hope Messi is not too stressed into selling the Tata cars. :muted::muted::muted::muted:
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Tata design is proving a cut above everyone else in their segments inside and out, the Zica being another example. And then there's the upcoming Hexa and the Nexon small-cuv too, which are even better, no? Their engineering's been great for a long-while, added to which are the Fiat powertrains. What's not to like?

Tata (post Horizonext) and FCA, listen: while both of you are good/exceptional at engineering+(now)design+manufacturing at ranjangaon you've got to further-deepen collaboration imo.

No, not (only/necessarily) re-combining ASS centres in some places but: the next gen Bolt+Zest ought to be a twin of the next-gen Punto (2017), maybe Tata can also twin the promised new Grand Sienna or even (if) Aegea too (at least: powertrains, chassis, suspension) since the c2 sedan segment is one they probably need a competitor-in but only one that is lower-cost/lower-risk? Similarly FIAT could twin the 2017 Ranjangaon jv Tata q501 safari-replacement suv which will sell at Rs. 12-16 lakhs, with an fca powertrain, perhaps Jeep could too, also for exports as an emerging-markets special fiat/jeep well-cheaper than even the 500L/500X/Renegade?

Save r&d and product development costs hugely, even if you go well-beyond mere badge-engineering of these models? Get some half-decent economies of scale too despite India's very un-level playig-field of a marketplace.

Horizonnext has, it is claimed, a Rs.3000 crores budget. Tata will be struggling to make a paisa from all these new models, terrific though they are, for at least 3-5 years, at least. Fiat's financial muscle in india, too, does not permit high risk venturesomeness in this skewed marketplace.

ERGO: even further, deeper collaboartion is called-for, this time with whole-models (from platforms, suspensions to seats, powertrains and electricals...) rather than with sales or after-sales.

Tata, according to jd power, has much greater brand trust and pull than even Ford, vw, skoda, renault nissan and chevy, let alone beleaguered just-2-models Fiat. This hopefully means some decent elasticity of demand, depending on their new products and their promotions. Fiat, on the other hand, would benefit greatly through better supply chain and manufacturing costing on their new models. A re-badged Tata car/suv or two 9as Fiat or even Jeep) could also be a decent emerging-market export for FCA out of India, say to some middle eastern or north african markets, like the new Fiat Fullback pickup=Mitsubishi triton/pajero?

And in perfect line with marchionne's advocacy of shared across-brands-and-firms powertrains, platforms, modules, sometimes even whole-models. Witness the Fiat Fullback and the Mazda-based Fiat 124 Spider.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, actually it makes a huge sense, for Tata Fiat to share products and innovation that reduces cost without compromising functionality. Something like the sturdy good Mahindra-Dacia Renault Logan or the Dacia Renault Duster Lodgy equivalent model. A grand sienna with Tata badge, making it the best of sturdy engineering dynamics and a trusty name too.

Unless prior experience bitterness has still not faded away esp. the way Ratan Tata sounded once when talking about Fiat collaboration.
    prabhjot likes this.