1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Harsher punishment for traffic offences likely

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by ramjn, Mar 1, 2012.

1. nobrakes

nobrakes

Mumbai
    Exactly Amit! If a biker skidds on a wet road and hits a pedestrian walking on the road how can it be the bikers fault? But it our country, it is :( There is absolutely no room for errors on our roads.
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    You are from Mumbai, do you remember the Alestair Pereria case?

For those not knowing about it, this accident happened in 2006 in Mumbai. He was driving in a 10 year old Toyota when he lost control of the car & ran over 15 sleeping labourer's as the road was under repair's. For his bad luck, he had had a few drink's and was returning home from a party. 7 of them died. Media went into overdrive reporting on how a 'Rich spoilt brat driving a swanky car mowed down sleeping labourer's.' No one asked the media how a 10 year old Toyota is a swanky car or why did the government not insist that the contractor makes sure labourer's don't sleep on the road they are repairing! The guy is in jail convicted under section 304(a) - causing death due to rash & negligent act.

Now assume one of us are driving and haven't had any drinks. Car is a machine - something goes wrong and the car loses control. The first instinct will be to steer the car away from the road to the side. As soon as you do that you realise there are some labourer's sleeping on the pavement and you run over them. You will be arrested for causing death due to a rash & negligent act! How about prosecuting the contracter and the government for not making provisions for labourer's to stay some place away from the road? No one talks about that because the government has this 'mai baap' attitude.

This whole increasing of traffic violation fines is nothing but 'mai baap' attitude. The government believes that they have done their bit and everything that's wrong on the roads today is the fault of the drivers?

When I was in Canada, a van hit a pram killing a small baby and injuring the mother. The cops gave a clean chit to the driver putting the blame entirely on the mother. Why & How? The van was driving along the road within the speed limit when she suddenly tried to cross the road and pushed the pram out on the road from in between two parked cars. Clearly, the driver of the van was within his rights not to expect someone to suddenly appear from behind parked car's. It was a brilliant piece of investigation from the cops.

Compare that to what happens here. There is an accident. The person injured or killed is the victim and the person that was driving the vehicle that hit is at fault. You are immediately arrested for rash & negligent driving. Where is the basic premise of law - 'innocent until proven guilty'?
    3 people like this.
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I'M aware of 3 flashes on my car..
    1) for speeding on high way between Cochin and Chertalla, there are two speed cameras either side of the lane on a long stretch.. unless the speed buzzer is set at 70, wouldn't even know, until a flash in the rear view mirror that too if its dark.
    2)at a signal.. where i was stunk in the middle of the signal as the car in front dint move..
    3) again at a signal in Vytella Jn... this time my fault.. as it was orange light..
    all three times i noticed.. because of a flash in my rear view mirror.... don't know how many i missed....
    My 1st flash was a month ago and till date received no notice...

Yesterday at Vyella jn.. in Cochin.. as i was nearing the zebra cross the signal started to blink and i stopped immediately (lesson learned..) traffic police took over. having a clear view of the traffic junction and being curious of the camera i noticed, every time a car crossed the signal.. the camera flashed.. even when the traffic was routed by the police men at the signal...
    the signal was back on after a vip car passed....

what will happen to those unlucky fellows who were caught in the camera?

These rules should be applicable to all.. not just ordinary citizens...
    twice i have seen police jeeps jumpin signals, not stopping as the signals tuns red.. if its any other car, the traffic police.. stops the car at the other end.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. nobrakes

nobrakes

Mumbai
    Very true Amit. Serious flaws in the whole system.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Yesterday's report in a news paper:

TRUCK RAMS INTO MOTOR-CYCLE; 54 YEAR OLD WOMAN DEAD.

As I started reading the report, this is actually what happened.

A couple riding on a bike on the highway were overtaking a truck when the bike skidded. The wife fell on the road and came under the wheels of the truck while the husband, luckily, fell on the other side and ended up with some injuries. Now guess what? A case of rash & negligent driving has been registered against the TRUCK DRIVER!!

There was no investigation into this case by the cops before the case was registered. Couple of questions a layman like me has in mind:

- Was the truck overspeeding?
    - Was the bike overspeeding?
    - Did the bike overtake the truck correctly?
    - What caused the skidding? Was there something on the road? stones, gravel, sand, left over construction material that the bike tried to avoid?

For all you know the fault may be with the bike and it's probably the husband who should have been arrested for rash & negligent driving!

Lastly, why did the media give that headline? How is this a case of 'Truck rams into motorcycle'?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    3 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In all accidents in india this is how first impression(Pity,justice) of priority comes into the picture:-

Cyclewala > Motorcyle(2 wheeler) > Car (4 Wheeler) > Trucks

In all above accidents Cycle wala gets more benefits in terms of justice from the crowd around the accident and this is what i believe in our system of motoring.
    3 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I agree with the views of amit and Ganges.

I was once stranded on a highway to take the diversion to other side of the road. A truck ahead of me was taking the diversion and I was waiting for him to move. Guess what? a person in a bike hit my car from behind damaging my cars tail lamp while I was completely idle. He along with his wife also injured in this incident. I got out of the car and got to know that the fellow is drunk. Local people gathered at the scene and I was put to blame :(. A police patrol vehicle came at the scene and this is what the police guy said. Whenever an accident happens, the bigger vehicle owner has to take the responsibility and compensate for the same. Do I have an option in the midst of the highway without any support? I paid the drunken guy with some amount and left the scene.

This is the rule of law (???) in India.
  8. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This is what Happening in India.
    I will narate you the thing happened with me, I was in my KB125 RTZ in the year 1998, my friend was also following me on his CD100 SS, we were at a speed of 40 - 50 suddenly a man crosses a street and dances in the middle of the street whether to cross or no, i honked at him and applied the brakes which made my bike skid and my crash gaurd hit his leg and he fell on the road i somehow controlled my self and got from my bike myself and my friend who was following me also stopped and we picked up the guy and he was drunk he could not even stand, I donno hw my hands were raised and just him him a tight slap and told him, you got only me for you to come and die. as the people gathered in no time, they were just murmurring he is drunk no use, we just flew from the spot.

last year when i was in india and driving my Punto, You should know the people in mumbai they will never give you way, and specailly when you honk at them they will prove themself as deaf. i was passing in a marlet lane with honking at all times, the Left side of my wing mirror touched a passer, as i ignored him, he just tapped my roof at the rear, i stopped and lowered the left glass and asked him whats the matter, he was holding his right elbow and said that your car tire went on my leg, I asked him are you cating you leg or your hand now....
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    After that incident (post No. 27), it is very much discouraging to stop on a highway when I am hit by other vehicles. Anything is possible in India.
  10. nobrakes

nobrakes

Mumbai
    Well said Ganges...