1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Harsher punishment for traffic offences likely

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by ramjn, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    News Source - The Hindu : News / National : Tougher punishment for traffic offences cleared by Cabinet

The government is understood have cleared a proposal to amend the Motor Vehicle Act to deal sternly with violators of traffic rules. According to sources, a meeting of the Cabinet held on Thursday has approved the amendments to the Act for harsher punishments for offences like drunken driving and violation of traffic rules.

“The amendments are meant to deal the traffic offences seriously. Repeated violations will fetch very high fines and even may take the offenders to jail,” a source said.

The modifications are aimed at introducing stronger deterrents and inculcating greater respect for the laws, sources said.
    As per reports, the first offence of talking over mobile phones while driving can lead to a fine of Rs 500 and the subsequent violations can be as high as Rs 5,000.

Jumping red lights or not using seat belts and helmets may attract fines between Rs 500 and Rs 1,500, reports said.
    2 people like this.
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hope everything gets implemented as on papers and we get safer roads to drive. And we TFIians will be forced to slow down and no more showing off the Fiat cornering capabilities, don't mind it as long as everybody follows the rule.
  3. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    I would have been happy if I was in another country, but this move means that the traffic police may be able to get more in the form of bribes
    2 people like this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I think these rules might be strict for lane cutting, signal cutting, unnessary hornking, the list goes on.
    One thing I want to focus here is, there are lots of people in this forum who travelled abrod i.e. US
    Everyone in US is driving carefully, following all traffic rukes in US as due to their policies.
    But after coming to India all forgot the rules & start driving like anything.
    See if we are driving carefully by following traffic rules is no harm for anyone, infact no issues for rules & regulations are required.
    We are educated people & we are following rules in US then why not in India?
    Why we are waiting for harsh rules to be implemented?
    Now only the rash drivers has to bother about these harsh rules or heavy fines.
    Due to these heavy punishments people may understand the traffic rules atleast & it's importance. :)
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Stricter rules will only result into larger bribe amount to trafiic constables, nothing else. For eg. if traffic light jump is Rs 200 today, a policemen can be convinced for Rs 100. If it will be Rs 1500, it can't be lesser than Rs. 1000.
    No one will opt for challan, instead pay at the spot & get rid with anything lesser or at least to avoid the headache of impounding of vehicle, possession of driving license, registration etc.

Conclusion: Nothing. Middle class to pay higher for their mistakes in future:mrgreen:.
    Middle class is Kudoing this decision & celebrating it of-course for their own sufferings:confused:??
    Obviously, Traffic constables will be reading this news with wide opened eyes:mischievous.
    Infact IPSs would start bragging rights to manage the traffic instead of sitting in their office:dancing!!
    There can't be anything like "rules & traffic regulations in North India" at least. This is known as dogfight :boxer!!
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    @ENKI - This stringent fines are meant to reduce the traffic violations. Whom ever the Aam aadmi pay the money, if the fine is Rs. 1000 or Rs. 1500, will they not fear to violate the rule? I really don't care if the cops get the money in their pocket. The harm caused by the Aam Aadmi traffic violation is more than that of the bribe taken by the cops.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

I agree to you're point and we are the culprits because we "want to drink and drive", "we want to jump signals" so on.
    the basic point I'm trying to make here is, be it 10rs or 1000rs as fine so long as people who ply on the roads dont give a shit about anything else the cops are going take advantage of us.

Just to prove that they dont have their say....
    I remember at least 3-4 times that I've fought with a cop who wanted to extort money from me because I jumped signals (while I actually didnt) and I have got away .

Its on us to not break the law in the first place. cops/fines will only come if the former is not followed right?
    1 person likes this.
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

stricter rules are good. Let the violaters pay to either police or government, today they are ignoring them because they can pay 50 or 100 bucks to the police guy and get off. Our guys do not mind paying few hundred bucks a month if they can still violate. If the fines are higher this will deter a good section of the violaters to think thrice before violating. However the catch here is to find some smart ways like camera in the signals to find the signal jumpers etc., as even today our folks behave properly if they see the cops and the other way if they do not
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Right the system of fines should also change.
    I mean today a guy jumps a signal when he's 17 and a camera catches him, the report of this should not be mailed to him when he's 71 (which is what is happening).
    The camera can easily be setup to send images directly to the concerned police station.
    Just the way in companies a courier guy comes every day to deliver and pick up mails ,the same thing should start happening at the police stations as well.
    They should have a fast courier service and make sure the mail is delivered in 48hrs at least and a further 48 hrs to pay up the fine after which his vehicle will be entitled to be impounded if he has not paid.

PS:: Dont worry all the money it takes to setup this system can be charged to the violator itself. He will surely drive better.
    Example: When i was in San Francisco i saw a signboard that said "Signal jumping, Minium 285$ Fine"
    Seriously, there is nothing wrong.
  10. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Hiked Penalties

Union Cabinet has proposed many amendments to Motor Vehicle Act. Once cleared by parliament, the new rules will be enforced throughout the country. Including such amendments are Hiked penalties for various offences while driving, have a look.....

and for high spirited people, pic of caution.

I personally believe more than stricter laws, we need better enforcement of laws. Now with higher fines, the amount of bribery incidents will increase. Traffic police walo ki diwali ab 365 days hogi.

Do Share your opinion.