1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hard Steering problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by varin11, Jan 8, 2011.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I have used Dayco branded belts for Timing belt and it has not failed. And compared for quality with various serpentine belts before a no. of times. This is just a power steering belt and lesser critical than a timing belt. It has all the stretch properties of a standard OEM fitment belt. Rest is your choice.

They are OEM suppliers for major brands BTW.

- - - Merged Post - - -

That sounds more like it and reasonable. :)
    1 person likes this.
  2. amolraut

amolraut Timido

Mumbai
    Hi asimpleson
    Can you provide me part number of Dayco. Even I stay in mumbai. From where did you buy those. I want to replace Alternator, steering belt offcourse from local garage
    Belts are belts, Fiat doesnt make belts. Even Dayco is OEM.
    Gates & fenner are considered as best quality (Others are not bad though)
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @amolraut, I bought it from a shop IIRC Pioneer Auto which has two shops one is at Goregoan-W and another at Kandivali-W. But you could buy from numerous shops that stock genuine branded belts. You seem to know about brands, so perhaps a visual inspection could give you a better idea and you could buy it.

BTW, Fiat keeps coming out with service camp offers. 10% parts and 20% labour discounts etc. Try getting it changed with OEM if possible, maybe they revise it sometimes to lower it to a much reasonable price. You can ask for OEM Fiat belt price on any SC counter. I dont have part nos. but they could provide you. Anyways a better idea (which is what people do) is to remove the belt and show to the shop keeper and they will show you available alternatives.
  4. amolraut

amolraut Timido

Mumbai
    Thanks for quick reply . I will contact them.
    I am from Maintenance background. Not engine maintenance but Engine manufacturing machine maintenance.
    Crankshaft, camshaft, crankcase, connecting rod, cylinder head finishing machining work is done where I work

There is nothing like OEM are good. We use good manufacturer components of any make in case of belts. Specification should match . That's it . Same is case with bearings . Size and precision class should match, Any make will do .
    So you can bindass use any make spare provided specification should match
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Rightly said, and precisely my POV in most cases of spares, not too critical in some way to be used OEM. Just that if an OEM is available at right price or competitive price not a bad idea to buy it from them (FASC) :)
    Else one can always choose good after-market stuff.

PS: there is a thread perhaps quite recent where one could add after-market options, not so bad idea to list things there as one comes across such items in market.

PS2: do share your experiences with regards, engine maintenance, rebuilds, repairs etc.
  6. amolraut

amolraut Timido

Mumbai
    Sorry buddy , I don't have knowhow about specific Engine maintenance. I can help with general machine maintenance.
    We basically follow what machine manufacturer says. Sticking to schedule will be best .We replace wearable parts & timely check it
    Simply replace wearable parts
    1. All belts - as per schedule or earlier if warn out
    2. Oil replacement- as per schedule (Never ever change oil grade .any make will do. Natural/synthetic whatever you like)
    3. Alternator Brush replacement - here I don't know what Alternator OEM recommend . Checking condition may help
    4. Bearings - if there is noise (Also replace seal if its there)
    5. Battery- As per battery OEM schedule

Everything is meant to break. Preventive maintenance will prolong its life
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I think critical parts, engine , suspension parts should always be OEM.They give the quality and also last longer.