1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hard Steering problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by varin11, Jan 8, 2011.

1. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

There was a weird noise comming from the steering assembly when i turn the steering wheel to any direction. TASS said that its due to faulty mounting.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

The noise was due to faulty elastic pads and was replaced under warrenty. Is there any change in the design of elastic pads so that it will last longer? reason for asking is, after some 25K Km will it create problem again? total cost was around Rs:5000, so after warrenty i dont want to spend 5000 extra for every 25K Km.
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    There is a rubber cap that they are putting over the elastic mount to prevent water from getting inside the mount and causing rust. Please check the bill if they put that also. Else ask them to put that (Cost is around 50 rs per cap).
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. I am facing the issue of hard steering for the last few days ever since the car was not used for five days.Sometimes steering feels light and nervous and any undulation in the road is felt through the steering wheel.The car has done 735 Kms so far.The Tyre pressure and power steering fluid levels are normal.Any ideas what could be the problem?
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    And that fateful day arrived. I was driving, heard a tangling noise from the bottom of my car, ignored thinking it is as some branches or twigs on the road getting dragged along. However in half an hour, i was in for a surprise. When i try to turn the steering while the car is stationary, the steering was so hard and turning it around became a huge problem. While driving the steering acted very normal though.

After driving around 5 kms, steering started to be hard while in motion too. It got to a point that i was not able to manoeuvre the car in any manner. Some how managed to get it to a side road, parked and called up Vecto SA Surendra, he was grateful enough pick up the call as it was around 9.30. He told me, the steering belt could be snapped.

Tried calling FIAT RSA, explained the problem but he insisted that i drive the car at a minimum speed of 40 km/hr and get back home. He said he had to follow protocols and would only provide a tow service if the there is a case of complete breakdown. I was quite furious after this conversation with the RSA.

As the car is registered in my wife's name she suggested that she will call RSA and tell them that she was driving the car and i was a friend who was with her. She called up the RSA and told that they should help a lady who is stranded in the middle of the road in the night with car a that is having a truck's steering. RSA had no options but to oblige and send across a tow vehicle. It arrived in 15-20 from mins Vecto motors (Hosur Road) picked up the vehicle and went.

Got a call from Vecto this morning and i explained the issue. Waiting on for them to update me now. :(
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Update : Power steering belt is snapped. Will cost around 2500 it seems.

Can i claim extended warranty for the belt? Anyone?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Power steering belt for Palio stile diesel is Rs. 1825/- approx.

Any aftermarket ones that come cheaper will do. I am sure reputed aftermarket belts work equally well. I am running those on Siena for long time and they work very well.
    1 person likes this.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore

Thank you for that info!!

I have asked them to check if i claim extended warranty for the belt. They supposedly are going to email to FIAT on this claim and get back.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    How many kms have your car done
    Avoid aftermarket belts as they would cause squealing, power steering belt in our cars is without tensioner and the belt is made up of special elastic rubber which automatically adjust tension and that is reason why it costs so much.
    1 person likes this.
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thank you Vijay for the reply. My car has done 58k kms. I got the belt replaced from FASS. Belt is priced at 1645 and with labor costs, it came around 2220.

They denied extended warranty claim for the belt though. Anyhow, the steering feels much better now! :)