1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hard Steering problem

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by varin11, Jan 8, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Replace Power Steering Oil.Then chack Wheel Alignment,tyre condition

If problem is there after doing all remedies then check whole Steering Gemetry.
    Caster Angle,Camber Angle & Toe-in . Negetive Camber Angle may be cause of Hard Steering.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Got Tyres replaced after 40000 Kms.power steering oil still not replaced.The hard ness is felt mostly/sometimes after few Kms driven.The TASS say the steering is ok and is generally on the harder side in fiat linea. may be will chk taking a test drive of a new car.do u guys feel tht steering is on the harder side in linea.
  3. can you tell me the correct wheel alignment data for linea tjet plus? I mean the toe-in, caster angle ,camber angle et al.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Read the owner's manual. Toe angle readings are mentioned there.
    Every car manufacturer mentions these readings.

While doing alignment,only toe angle is taken into consideration. If readings of other angles are out of range,then alignment guy will advice you to visit ASS of TATA.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Iam also facing hard steering problem. But these worst TATA people never accepts any problem. :A
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    got the front suspension, ball joints, elastic pads checked and lubricated. All fine as per as TASS but still the problem persist the hardness is still there.my car steering (March 2009 model, 48000 Kms)feels harder then the one in a new car.Now the only area left is steering rack.Any suggestion.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Steering Rack may be culprit. But bad TATA people will never accept the rack problem.

Two types of rack problem are there. 1) Hard Steering Rack & 2) Loose/noisy steering rack.

If you rack is noisy ,then they will replace it in warrantee.
    & if your rack is hard then they will say " Sir your rack is absoulutly tight-fit & fine.No need to replace. :A
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Does steering gets little tighter in a driven car like mine(2 Yrs, 48000 Kms) compare to a new car(words of the TASS rep)although I understand old is never as good as new.My car is in extended warranty so i think rack and all steering parts are covered.car is still in TASS and today will go for the Test Drive.next step would be checking Steering pressure pump,Rotary Valve, Steering gear and ultimate rack.but for sure they discourage you for taking up the rack problem.Any advise Please u r welcome.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes if there is any malfunction in rack after using it for 48000 km then steering may become hard.

My dealer is insane pathetic. On every problem I showed he says " Sir your car is now 40000 KM old. :A :evilsmile

Generally dealer does not agree to replace the HPS parts unless & until there is not any leakege.

So problem of hard steering can't be cured. My sttering is also little bit hard. But I will wait upto 45000 KM Service.
    After replacing HPS oil,problem may solved. Some members have mentioned about improvement in steering after changing HPS oil.

Till then it is like a problem of clutch :- Customer says Clutch is hard. But dealer says clutch is normal. :A
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I dont Think tht changing the oil would make any difference as nothing has happened in my case.the oil is synthetic and can last for a long period of time and just have to be topped up unless and until there is any leakage or sediments in oil but if warranty u have to replace to keep it safe.The culprit can be pressure pump as it may not be throwing enough oil in proportion to the torque being applied by the driver on the steering.If thts ok then rack.My TASS(bharti auto) told me that normally they take out both pump and rack and send for inspection.They have no problem with Kms run if car is under warranty.the process begins with they raising something called C7 with Fiat which is approval from them since the part is costly if being replaced. after approval thy will send the parts for inspection or change the pressure pump first.HOW OLD IS UR CAR BHAI?