1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Hard gear shifting on lesser run Fiat!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by mayank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mayank

mayank Amatore

Hey all, Since around September'13 i am facing this issue of Hard gear shifting in my gp which is run about 6400kms. I have taken it to more than one Fiat service centres of tricity various times regarding this issue but each and every time the guys there after inspecting the car says "everything is fine" and there is no problem in your car. I know they are guys with sheer of experience and vast technical knowledge as it is their daily job. I am not taking away anything from them regarding their dedication and effort to solve my Problem. But being the Owner of the car, and this is the only car i drive, it wont be wrong to say that "I would the first person to recognize even the slight variation in the performance of my machine". Last month when i went to the SC(wheels fiat, mohali) to get it inspected, same story happened(everything is Ok with your car). But still the guy did the general check up and after the check up was finished and car was ready for the delivery. I slotted the 1st gear and VOILA!! Its butter smooth like before. I also noticed that the strain which had been there while slotting to higher gears was not there. Things went normal for about a week and I even did an 80odd kms trip and there were no problems. But the next day after that trip the same old problem came back again. I Know that might be some minor issue only but Its really spoiling my driving pleasure. Sometimes it even feels a bit embarrassing when you are trying to prove an issue which is non-existent for others. Below are the key areas where i am facing the trouble and not satisfied:-

1). Hard gear shifting respective to the following gears:-
    a).Neutral->1st
    b). 2nd->3rd
    c). 4th->3rd

2). Besides The hard gear shifting as stated above i am also feeling a bit "strain" while releasing the clutch while Shifting to higher gears even when i shift gears at 2000rpm level. Its pretty similar to the type of strain which might be associated while shifting gears above 25k rpm level where we have to time the gas pedal and clutch release simultaneously to give less strain to the engine.

Thanks in advance
  2. S.K

S.K

mumbai
    Check clutch slave cylinder.
  3. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Replace both Master & Slave Cylinders. I had same issue in my Palio MJD. Rectified by replacing Clutch slave cylinder.
  4. mayank

mayank Amatore

Although i am very much limited to technical knowledge but I too had this thing in my mind that this issue might be related to clutch slave. The only doubts i have in my mind is that my car has not run much and besides this i don't know how to convince those SC guys who don't observe any problem while test driving.
  5. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    I have faced the issue with car idle for longer duration.

Car was idle for over a year. Was occasionally started and moved for few kms to charge battery. After few weeks of driving and regular use, gears turned damn hard. TASS wanted clutch kit replaced, when I did not agree, gear cables were inspected and found to be dry. Lubrication solved the issue. Costed around INR 800.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. mayank

mayank Amatore

@pankaj joshI - Yes, that might be another issue as you stated. As 2 of those SC also said that it could be due to less running. But last month after getting done general checkup they started working fine and if i assume that they lubricated the gear cables in that checkup then after some 7-8 days the problem aried again.
  7. John14

John14 Timido

I have been facing this problem in recent days mainly when shifting to 3rd gear be it either from 2nd or from 4th gear. Have told to SA during my 2nd service and it got better for a week and later ended up with same problem.
  8. mayank

mayank Amatore

and guess what!! The car is running annoyingly sluggish as well.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    1. Can you do one simple test, start vehicle and keep monitoring the speed vs rpm, @2000RPM one should be doing 80kph or so, 2500RPM - 100kph; 3000rpm - 120kph, 3500rpm - 140kph or so...

2. Depress clutch fully and try engaging 1,2,3,4,5 in sequence slowly while in stationery/engine turned off & check whether the gears slot first time correctly, even if it meant applying some force. though this is not a reference and should not be followed every time.

3. After a drive and after warming up the engine sufficiently, revv the engine hard for a few times (4000rpm) to spew out clogged carbon, just look at the exhaust pipe for amount of carbon thrown out. Make sure you idle it sufficiently after the hard revving before turning off the engine.

I have done the above for few similar issues and seen a slght improvement in pickup
  10. mayank

mayank Amatore

@Sriram:- Tomorrow I will test the last 2 steps you stated above. But for the First one i need a bit more clarification regarding at which gears levels i should be checking these. Thanks.