1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Half-Engine replacement needed. I am doomed.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by puntofreak, May 15, 2015.

1. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Maruti Service stations offers decarbonising (optional) ,that removes Carbon in the Engine. I think that is why same engine in their cars lasts longer than in Fiats! anyway After the replacement of Timing chain at 52 k in our punto(2011 model) we have scared of this type of failure. The Service quality of new FASS is very poor in our city. So We sold our Punto and changed to used Ritz 2011 model. I know the quality of maruti is no where near fiats but we opted it for peace of mind.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson

Wear and tear is a too vast topic to discuss and might need a different thread as there are more than 100 of reason for premature engine failure.
    The first and foremost starts from Day1 when you buy your car I just read a post on the forum where somebody has bought a Avvy and was thinking of driving at 100 as safe.
    Though the tech of engine manufacturing has improved by leaps but still the high points are there in the engine moving parts and those need to be levelled out in slow motion so that they give a shiny surface rather than a scratch.
    Have you ever wondered why FE increases after 1st service. It is no magic that service station does but a default program set by manufacturer in ECU where he has increased the Fuel consumption not air so as to Keep the engine lubricated and cool when it levels out the peak points generated during manufacturing.
    So I prefer to drive less than 1500 or 1600 rpm for first 5K km with patience because that patience is going to give me peace of mind in long run.No long drives for fist 5000 km.

Second would be honestly changing Engine oil,Oil filters,air filters with OEM preferably (unless budget is of high constarints) below 10 K mark.While washing ensure that the radiator grills and condensor grill are pressure washed and give them the wash at every 5K.

I just read on this thread that somebody was suggesting engine decarborizing and basic reason why DDIS do not fail
    If he takes my point in a healthy note I would ask for an open discussion on his comment and want his DDIS experts also to help me understand this eyewash.
    Manifolds I can understand but that too not below 1.5L mark if above schedule was followed but Engine block i cannot understand.
    I Think the discussion might turn unhealthy but I get annoyed when people just write the comments without having the whiff of the problem.
    puntofreak and cassini like this.
  3. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    plz dont twist the context of my post. I was just replying to one post. you should have gone to through that post also. and I am not interested to discuss on DDIS in a fiat forum.
  4. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello guys. Just to update you. I am facing a new problem again.

After the half engine replacement I had almost driven it around 800 kms. Car's performance is absolutely fine; no change in pick up or acceleration. But the car has started emitting white some from exhaust (before engine replacement it was emitting black smoke).

FIAT mechanics have checked twice (turbo & fuel injector & others) but in vain. The car is not emitting white smoke always but most of the time, particularly more when the ac is on. Incapable and inefficient FIAT mechanics. I doubt if they have replaced the half block by mistake when the problem lies somewhere else. They are asking me to take the car to service station again. Oh god.....

This punto has actually taken away peace from my life. There is no peace even after spending more than a lac rupee. Frustrated and dejected.....
  5. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @puntofreak

It would be really annoying that you are facing problems again after spending so much of money.
    It is very difficult to say what is causing the white smoke but keep checking the engine oil level and coolant level to check what is getting consumed.

Please also confirm whether the engine work was done in your presence or absence and did you take the old block and old parts with you or not?
    puntofreak likes this.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Check the injectors. Ask ASS to check the injector codes in the ECU it is possible they interchanged injectors between cylinders and forgot to update codes in ECU also ask to check fuel correction values in ECU if they are above +/- 0.9 (acc to bosch) injectors have to be serviced. If they have equipment to check return flow from injector get it checked all four injector should have almost equal flow.

Did your car only had a issue of black smoke before over-hauling, did your car had any blow by from dipstick, did they check compression before overhauling.
    puntofreak likes this.
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vIjAy_kHaSa

I don't think injector can be culprit for white smoke because it usually is emitted if the engine oil is being burned with fuel or the coolant is entering the combustion chamber.
    As far as swapping of injector within cylinder is concerned I don't think it would have happened and if by chance it has happened it could lead to misfiring and loosing power on higher Rpm under load,if at all the ECU is not so intelligent to remember the 4 inj code. Again equal Flow is also immaterial for white smoke as it would again lead to loss of FE and symptoms will be loss of power and colorless eye burning fumes from exhaust pipe.

If at all @puntofreak could exactly analyse what exactly this white fume smells like then only the root cause can be found.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 4, 2015 ---
    Can you could give the parameter no. in ECU where you change your Fuel correction index?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    puntofreak likes this.
  8. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Engine oil level is perfectly ok and there is no change in coolant level too. So I do not think those are getting consumed.

No, engine work was not done in my presence. But I visited the workshop before the engine was refitted on the chassis. They showed me the new half block which was integrated in the engine and the old half block was there on the floor. In my views chances of cheating here is low.

Have no idea about this ECU codes, will ask the FASS to check. Thank you.

My car was emitting heavy black some from exhaust and white some from dipstick before overhauling. It was consuming engine oil. I had to top up oil twice in a total travel of around 2000 km. Car was unable to achieve speed above 60-70 km/hr.

The car is running absolutely fine now. No problem in pick up or acceleration. I can easily achieve 100+ km speed. I am mostly driving in city with AC on and FE figure is 15-16 km/l right now after the engine work.

However I had observed something new yesterday. Car was emitting significantly less amount of white smoke. But I could see oil coming out of exhaust when I checked twice after stopping car (not stopping engine). It was smelling like unburnt oil. Today morning when I checked, I could notice oil on the floor just below the exhaust in the parking area.

Scheduled a visit to FASS tomorrow. Let's see if they can diagnose and resolve this. I am very skeptical.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @puntofreak

If the car is running fine that it might be the old oil which might have got accumulated in cat con and silencer which might be burning.As if there is any swapping of injectors and wrong entry on ECU then engine should not start.
    Assuming that the Fass would Have washed the turbo line and the manifolds for traces of old oil during overhaul so only culprit will be silencer . Give it a thorough wash and then analyze.

I also request you to restrain your speed below 1600 rpm in all gears for at least 5K kms

Update it when you are done and free
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @KKAUL Faulty injector or wrong codes can cause white smoke I am telling you this by experience. On cold start in morning I was getting puffs of white smoke on giving acceleration showed it to ASS in chandigarh Speed Fiat they straight away said new block and valve work required seeing the reading in ODO 156200, got it checked at another ASS Metro Motors ambala and they checked injectors using examiner and said white smoke is due to bad injectors fuel correction values very high for injector 2,3 and 4. Car had no smoke once heated and no performance issue at all and FE was normal.

I got my injectors serviced by bosch center and got new codes for 2 injectors, fitted all injectors back but did not change codes as I did not find my OBDII cable. Cylinder 2 injector was in 1 and 1 was in 2 and 3 and 4 codes were new still car started absolutely fine with no hunting for revs or missing at any rpm, just a tad more clatter than usual and even more smoke. Next day found my cable and coded injectors now there is no smoke and clatter noise have gone down a lot.

20151106_092604.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    asimpleson likes this.