1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Half-Engine replacement needed. I am doomed.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by puntofreak, May 15, 2015.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    In Indian conditions the only and easiest way you can make a long drain oil service interval work effectively at a small cost is by replacing the air filter at every 5000 kms. It will cost only Rs.300/ each and for 15000kms you will need 2 sets of change. the third will come on at the regular service.Total cost 600/- if you buy the quadrajet parts at Tata service. This change will ensure that the engine breathes more comfortably and more clean air is available for better combustion resulting in lesser carbon in the cylinder and helps in better life and performance. Try it. I am doing it by my self.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Totally agreed with @jumu that in india air filter are the culprit and replacing them early is a must. Even I clean the airfilter once in 5k and discard everything at 10K except fuel filter.
    As far as long drain interval is concerned they cannot be followed because even the oil decomposes with running and this phenomena increases with temp.
    A short test to see oil decomposition
    Check the dip stick opening when poured with the new oil and check it again at 10K km.all this in hot running. You will see the difference.
    With addition of egr the oil which some how seeps from turbo and manifolds back to the sump chokes the oil filter too early making the condition more complex.
    So in my opinion stick to 10K km oil change.
    Air filter. Just see the design carefully and you will laugh at it.All diesel engine are highly air sensitive and need a cyclone filter so that Loose dust and any small gravel always settle at the bottom and that too when enter the air filter chamber loose their velocity with the help of baffles. Now see Fiat design a typical Petrol engine type assembly and that too shabbily made.
    Knowing all this I still bought the vehicle but my confidence is really shaken seeing the part quality they are using.Terribly disappointing. I thought Fiat was different than TATA or Suzuki but they are on the same boat except for their driving dynamics
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Why not try the same trick with oil filter; although I always contemplated that but at 7.5k change interval with after-market oils never really did that. Elofic and Bosch for MJD ditto Fiat oil filters cost about 1/3rd.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just Buy one Oil filter from after market cut it open and see the difference with the original. If ok then go ahead.
    I usually replace at 10K at FASS coz when they lift the car It is not only me who is looking underbody but also some trained mechanics. so if i miss anything they will see and vice versa. This helps a lot.
    I usually go to FASS which are not relatively big and have trained mechanics with no ego.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Interesting thing you raised that. A similar discussion I had with a FASS owner. He was saying how they opened it and cut a cross section and the filter element (paper) was not to the mark. However, I bought both these filters elofic and bosch and found that virtually identical element and moulding they have, very very minor difference in mould but not in material or the o ring on it either. Further investigation at FASS and side by side comparison lead to conclusion that same set of material suppliers are dealing with these parties involved in manufacturing. And Fiat's filter comes from the same sources except with a mark-up price. I will leave it to individual and not comment which filter should be preferred, but looks to me like microscopic evaluation of filter element could lead to different revelation. Needs to be seen.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I used to give lecture to others; but it almost happened to my car too! I was running around a lot for around 4 months. I was so busy that I did not give any attention to the car at all. Last week I thought let me just peep under the hood. Coolant, break fluid, power steering fluid looked good. Pulled out the oil dip stick and I had shock of my life. Oil level was barely touching the tip of dip stick. I had to pour half liter oil to bring the level to the middle of dip stick. Now the question - it is normal for 6 year old petrol engine to consume half liter oil in 11000 kms? No other sign of any problem - no smoke, no mileage issues, no pick up problem etc. I hope engine has no problem!
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now this is what is called decomposition of engine oil. This is what I referred in my last few post. You can feel this in around 9K to 10K km through the Dip stick pipe. When the engine oil is new the Fumes won't be there but as it get repeated heating and cooling in running it looses its boiling point there by reducing the viscosity.This phenomena increases as your car ages not because of the engine gets old but because the radiator grills gets choked with mixture of Mosquitoes flies and dirt which are very difficult to remove there by increasing your engine temp.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 17, 2015 ---
    It usually happens after 70K
    cassini and RaviHegde like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde, you should follow shorter change intervals perhaps look at suitable aftermarket oils for the same that are cost effective too.

@KKAUL, what are the chances that early wear and tear is there in engine. I have seen more issues with FIRE engines in the past. If you compare the sale with MJDs.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    50,075 as of today.