1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Half-Engine replacement needed. I am doomed.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by puntofreak, May 15, 2015.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Try to take it to an experienced Maruti mechanic who is quite adept at working on the DDis engines. Its the same as Punto. You can even get a half engine from TATA or Maruti and get it done by them outside.

Most or all of this piston/ring issues are originating from adulterated fuel forming excess carbon and increasing the wear and tear. So please fill only at reliable petrol stations. Anything can happen in any vehicle. I would agree / feel that the FASS botched the first diagnosis.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I will also dare make an easily construable controversial statement and say that extended drain interval of 15K kms is killing engines faster and in some cases suddenly due to one or more factors. Including adulterated fuel which is not helping lubricate and contaminating oil faster and more than it could handle. Since 1997 as per some reports in US there has been a trend to reduce the tried and tested and undisputed anti-friction ZDDP compound due to emissions and the fact that it can harm DPF esp. with systems not having EGR. The low ash and low sulphur or lead while very essential for enviromental reasons (undisputable that too) have also this flip side to it making engine wear and especially valve wear in older flat tappet engines. In diesels if I may dare say this, the problem is much more pronounced and leads to premature failures, sometimes inspite of using high quality refined or using expensive blends of synthetic oils.

I will urge all Fiat owners esp. the diesel engine owners to use oils that have sufficient ZDDP content, like some HDEO oils that could be possible to get at 10W40 ratings esp. for those having cold climatic conditions. Otherwise wise to add the STP diesel egnine oil additive to ensure replenishment of ZDDP to certain levels as should be available out of the box for better engine protection.

Unfortunately, for now ZDDP oils in India esp. have not been available at 10W40 or 5W40 ratings, leaving many people wary of using them on their precious MJDs :joyful:

Gollum1.gif
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    jumu and prabhjot like this.
  3. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    @prabhjot
    I am not making any sweeping comments.
    I have wrote my experience and for example just now completed the 3rd Free service on Friday, the out come is interior and name plate lights are not working so 2nd visit is needed,to fix this small issue I have to visit 56kms to and fro :banghead:.
    Then service charges for replacing other fluids except engine oil and after arguing and producing the copy of 3rd service bill, thanks to our member godlur then agreed to wave the service charge.
    Is fiat is doing any charity here by waving the service charge?why can't they put the service charge chart in every centre and be transparent about the charges?
    Earlier went with other service centre and spent close to 2L for accident repair and still suffering from misaligned rear hatch door,broken interior light panel,bent rim and full of rattles and yesterday we went for a long drive and observed noise from the left suspension,when I inspected closely found one broken plastic ornament and hanging between the springs.
    The plastic which connects rubber and metal part of suspension,don't know what they are calling it,if go now they may charge me for replacing it inspite of warranty because Fiat customer care people are clue less.
    Moreover this time took 2 days for 3rd service.
    Still you want call this a good service and blame the herd for making sweeping comments about the service centre?
    The word pathetic is just attached with Fass they never care to check the car during delivery and every time there will be a repeat visit for sorting the issue.
    If abarth is serviced like this then God should save them from this SA/Fass.I stand by my comment SA/FASS are good for nothing and I have seen all the 3 service centres they are just pathetic but only my car makes me happy while driving nothing else and don't want to screw my time,peace of mind and happiness by visiting these FASS.
    If you have got good service then you are the one lucky but here we are not.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @puntofreak

Need not worry :
    You can get a half engine of Punto In Mayapuri may be around 10 K. Put it and use it for another 2 years and then sell the car. I know it is time consuming but hardwork pays
  5. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^ Are you really serious.
    That will be dam cheap then replacing the Time chain and is it available from total loss car?
    If it is so please share the location or any contact information if available so the members will be very useful in sourcing it.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As suggested by Abdul, First look for a good Mechanic. Then go to MayaPuri on a working day and look for a Maruti DDi Engine out of an accidental Car. You don't need to know anybody there but should take some experienced Mechanic with you ,who can find a suitable Complete Engine. Caniblise it and use Max. Good Parts out of it. It is the same Engine as Punto.
  7. Anand Shankar

Anand Shankar Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Firstly, buying a 60K kms old used car with partial service/accident history is a big gamble in itself. You cant blame really blame FIAT in this case, some issues are tough to identify unless there are obvious symptoms.
    > Ask the previous owner if there was any accident or failure earlier, that will help you isolate the issue.
    > Dont go with the FASS theory of overhauling the engine without the Root Cause identified.
    > Dust entering the engine doesnt seem like a reason enough.
    > Take it to some reputed Multi brand workshop like Bosch and get an idea.
    FYI, my friend had similar oil leak issues in his i20, and the quote was 3L! Later, it was fixed for 30K. So talk around, ask for reasons, ask for parts that blown up and parts that need to be replaced, ask for quotes with parts list. You might not be able to figure out whats what but atleast the SVC ppl will understand you mean business and wont cheat you or cheat you less.

Recollected this story, a friend of mine had a Tata Safari Dicor, every service, he used to take to TASS and just say 'Service my car' when he goes back to pick it up, he used to get a bill of 20K-30K for no great reason. Once myself and another auto expert in our group went along and drilled the SA with questions for each and every entry and told him specifically what to do and what not to do. Voila, bill was 10K odd. What I intend to say is, these are people who are trying to make some profits there, you need to really keep your eyes open and make sure you are not being taken for a ride.
    cassini, extr3mex, jumu and 1 other person like this.
  8. puntofreak

puntofreak Novizio

Odisha
    Bhubaneswar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Many thanks to you asimpleson. Thanks others for guiding me with your inputs.

Finally I did not sell my car, opted to repair it. I tried for outside workshops/mechanics but being in Bhubaneswar I had very limited options. So decided to do everything at the Fiat service center.

The half engine block was replaced alongwith all necessary (as recommended) related replacements. Additionally I had replaced all four front and back suspension systems. The car is running smooth right now.

Total bill for engine related work was around 95k. Alongwith suspension work total bill was 1.14k. Bill is attached for your reference.

IMG_20151007_164355.jpg
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi @puntofreak
    How is your punto now ? Hope the repair works done was upto the mark and quality.
    Thanks for the attached bill, will have an idea if engine works comes in future for my ride too(ODO @1,63,000Kms).
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ganges you are making a smart decision using SS oils @7.5kms interval. Hopefully you will cross 3lac plus with ease.
    Ganges likes this.