1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

H1, H3, H4 what are they?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by theblack, Aug 15, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I'm having a project underway for which i want to know what these H1/H3/Hxx mean?
    I'm sure they are not just about the mounts .
    I have read that not all make for good driving lights and similarly not all are good as fogs. So there must be something else to it (perhaps beam pattern or something)

Any ideas?
  2. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

List of automotive light bulb types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combination of reflector design and bulb makes either driving lights or fogs. Fogs have better spread and driving lights are more focussed.

If a fog/driving lamp takes a H3 bulb, only a H3 bulb should be used. Other bulbs will not fit but Indian jugaad can even fit H4 bulb in H3 socket.

Length of filament, position in reflector, distance of filament from base, etc matter for a bulb.

As far as reflector is considered, a reflector design with a simple dome would work if the light source (bulb) was a point source. However all bulbs have filaments which is a small line and hence different reflector designs are used to extract the best out of it.
    2 people like this.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In reference to our FIAT cars, as far as I know:

Grande Punto
    Headlights: H4 bulbs
    Fog lights: H1 bulbs

Linea
    Headlights: H7 for High beam, H1 for low beam.
    Fog lights: H1 bulbs.

I hope I am not wrong.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

H1 H3 H4 are holder/bulb types
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    well the reason why i came up with this thread is here. Lets see if that can throw more light.
    For some reason i'm really not satisfied with the current setup . Today while coming back home in thick rain I was just not able to see anything(high/low beam doesn't matter).
    i had problems with my headlamp assy so i got it changed and i'm running on extreme visions on both headlamps and fogs still no use.
    (I dont want 90/110 or anything else, i've had it till now and it caused a lot of issues)

My only other option is to get aux lamps.
    But this idea gives me another idea :)
    i was thinking of getting 2 bajaj pulsar (old model with dome assy) headlamps and getting extreme visions on that and using them as a aux lamps.
    The reflectors can be done up that's not a problem and I can even get the H1 or H3 or whatever is needed for headlamps into that (juggad) and use them.

If it fails ,it fails but at least that's a cheap alternative and i'm willing to try.
  6. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

There lies your problem.

Further you move away from yellow, worse will be visibility in the rain. Xtremevision is whiter than standard halogen. Switch back to regular 60/55W and try once in the rain.
    3 people like this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm, is it. This is news to me.
    Damn Damn, i bought 2 pairs without giving it a thought :(
    Let me check thoroughly though and get back
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    theblack- Please make sure you use some good quality bulbs, coz many high wattage bulbs melt the headlight lens!
  9. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

If you have too much troubles driving in the rain, get H3 3000K HIDs for foglamps/aux lamps, it will work for sure.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Linea is better off in this case,as at high beams 6 bulbs glow at once.
    In rains i set the headlight to position 2 and switch to high beam,gives much better visibility.
    I drove through extreme rains today in dark,and i was able to maintain normal cruising speeds,but then i have Hella Auxiliary lamps as well.
    1 person likes this.