1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gyaan Needed

Discussion in 'Photography' started by kaps, Feb 21, 2014.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Hi guys

I presently use a Canon 1000D DSLR. I am looking to change the camera. Main reason for changing is how often the sensor gets dusty and dirty. First decision I need to make is: normal DSLR or mirrorless?

Second, after the first choice is made, which brand in DSLR or mirrorless. My budget is between 30-40K. Within this range, what are the choices?

Let the gyaan start pouring.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What is mirrorless DSLR?
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Mirrorless cameras are those that do not have a mirror reflex optical viewfinder present. A true DSLR needs a mirror system to primarily provide real time optical view of the object/scene to capture along with some extra electronic data that can be reflected on the viewfinder glass.

A mirror in the body reflects the incident rays from the lens to an optical pentaprism or pentamirror (5 faced glass piece-eyeglass) to offer TTL near real field of view of the lens in use. As soon as the shutter release is pressed this mechanical/electro-mechanical mirror gets out of the way of the sensor for as long as the image needs to be projected on the sensor to avoid an over or under-exposure of the image.

Interchangable is in a way a popular misnomer used to define compact cameras offering lenses as an option to a compact body with more or most features of a conventional SLR/DSLR in a compact body. DSLRs are also interchangeable lens cameras to begin with. :)
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    4 people like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There are options to clean the sensor dust. You have to make sure that dust doesn't built up, no work around for this.

Alternatively buy a DSLR that has sensor shake built in. Canon and Pentax and some others used to offer these. Pentax still has this feature in most of it's cameras. But since it doesn't have a bigger brand presence in Indian markets, you may want to look again at Canon first.

Mirrorless will also have the same troubles but you will have serious compromises in terms of sensor size offered on these compact interchangable lens cameras. If you want the best of both worlds there is Olympus E series Four Thirds system cameras that offer good performance in a relatively small package.

The third option is to use bridge SLR or pseudo SLR like the popular Fujifilm HS10/20 or similar ones offered by Nikon or Canon with fixed lens that offers upto 720mm optical zoom due to sensor crop factor. Real optics on it is way less due to certain inherent design and hardware limitations. But the camera is a serious all rounder otherwise and excels at what it has to offer. It offers same control options and more compared to many other DSLRs in the market. You can get one of these types at about 20-22k Rs or less. I must mention though that these cameras have more shutter lag and maynot focus as fast for certain wildlife or sports photography.

PS: I do have a FujiFilm HS10 based on which I have suggested you the option.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Thanks for inputs asimpleson. Another good feature in mirroless is provision of Electronic View Finder (EVF) instead of the usual OVF. EVF provides more focus points and some fancy composition technologies compared with usual max 9 point focus of OVF and straight forward composition.

Fujifilm HS10 seems to have been launched in 2010. Presently I am oscillating between Canon 600D and Sony NEX 3 or 5 series. The pentax mirroless seem to be quite good but very costly. Present breed of mirroless cameras are offering APS-C size sensor so no issue on that front. Only Pentax and Sony amongst mirroless are offering full frame sensor.

How are the sony lenses? They aren't using carl-zeiss for NEX series it seems. Any more inputs from the learned in the house?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    My pleasure KAPS, no problemo..!

I can't help but reply with an essay that will add further to your confusion, but with the sole intent of helping you make an informed decision about what's best for you specifically, since all cameras take pictures but vary in price, size, functionality, flexibility, ergonomics, but most importantly situation capability. :smile:

Here goes..

An optical viewfinder is preferable over an electronic one for some reasons. EVF and liveview takes a significant toll on battery as far as I know, therefore esp. in daylight conditions optical viewfinder is most preferred and one of the reasons professionals want one. EVF can provide some fancy graphics and loads of extra data view on the fly including a live histogram if once cares. The Large OLED ones used in certain SONY DSLRs are very good also, but the data and focusing as such is handled mainly by other systems in the camera, as for any preview method including live-view.

Focus points are more importantly a sensor feature AFAIK (cross type sensors as they are called), and fast AF depends on focus algorithms and processors used in modern cameras. Generally, more focus points (cross sensors) come with more money in better graded cameras.

As far as autofocus system is concerned, Phase detect is typically better and faster than contrast detection. This is a must have feature in newer compact interchangables as well. Phase detection essentially uses the 'rangefinder' system of focussing but with much higher degrees of automation. Faster Focus is one of the reasons rangefinders were very popular with photo-journalists back then. The system provides very fast focus calculations and works even better with lenses of aperture F2.8 and more due to certain high precision cross layout sensors. Meaning focus system assumes good amount of significance in a camera system. For eg.: Canon's 7D model used a much improved AF system than whole lots of other Canons and Nikons which was touted to be the best package when it was introduced. It was a camera made for the professionals with major inputs from the professional users.

Adopting a camera brand will involve adapting a lens system which you are well aware of already. So it can be tricky indeed to choose one.

Pentax holds similar position like what Fiat holds in cars. Good technology and solid built but lower market dominance or popularity. If they are aggressive, RICOH-Pentax can sell more of these wonderful cameras than ever. If price and presence is not a consideration Pentax cameras will be my first choice anyday. But that's another discussion for another day. :smile:

Sony lenses are very good esp. carl zeiss ones, due to their optical coatings. I like Sony's built quality and certain wow factors that they manage in most of their products. But fancy is not always good. :wink: Of lately, however, they have introduced lots of new cameras and camera types.

Canon are still undisputed kings as far as mass markets for professional cameras and lenses is concerned. Combined with their sophisticated L series lenses they are simply unchallenged in this domain.

Ofcourse Hasselblad, Sinars, Leicas, Phase One etc. are there like the Bentleys and Roll Royces and Ferraris of cameras for different segment uses.

Nikon too need no special introduction either, except choosing between Canon and Nikon is like choosing between BMW and Mercedes and arguing which one is better.

Interchangable lenses in compact digital bodies were primarily introduced by Olympus and further advanced by Panasonic only to be adapted by major players later.

The best way to make a choice will be to decide which lenses you wish to collect and to what extent of budget you can stretch.
    Better to choose the lenses first or prepare a wishlist first, and then look at camera body depending on the lens prices. Please see which cameras mounts work for branded inter-compatible lenses also. The choice is immense. Like for eg. micro four thirds shared by Olympus and Panasonic and maybe some more.

Carl Zeiss is available in Sony NEX but they are pretty pricey compared to others. They are like limited edition lenses and demand certain premium as far as price is concerned.

Re-evaluate your options and post further about the camera type you want. eg. DSLR or Bridge type like a Fujifilm HS20 (with EXR Sensor), or Interchangable compacts with smaller sensors or Compacts with APS-C/Full-Frame type sensors. This here is like scratching the surface of this camera hardware subject.

What type of photography are you looking for (general purpose or studio or Object Oriented like more Macro or involving telephoto like for birding) and most importantly what is your maximum budget for camera/lenses and related camera gear.

Cheers..:p
    1 person likes this.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Thanks for the detailed reply asimpleson. It is a minefield indeed with number of options in each category. I have realised that I am not a photographer per se and my interest, for some time to come, will remain in casual photography. After doing some reading, I am coming round to realise the utility of a bridge camera. Presently Fujufilm HS50EXR and Canon Powershot SX50 HS are the ones in my purview with greater leaning towards the fujifilm product.

Anyone with experience in these, please do pour some gyaan.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Kaps,

I have an HS10 and it is a great all rounder, esp. with some very special features, including slow motion video. But the added weight with 4AA batteries is kind of a turn off. Actually they are supposed to be a boon, since in emergency you can buy them from a store when travelling. Also the batteries esp. cheaper NIMH ones did not hold up as good as Li-ion batteries on a DSLR. The biggest let down was shutter lag, making you realise that higher ISOs and faster shutter actuation, continous shots are must have when needed. Also the contrast AF did'nt help, although it was fairly accurate though not as good as a Phase detect.

I see from HS50EXR specs that Fujifilm has addressed all these problems by now. They came up with Li-ion which will help in better battery life even between charging intervals due to low drain factor compared to NIMH and weigh significantly less. Couple that with phase detection and a slightly bigger better sensor to accomodate 1000mm zoom, it is definitely an improvement. Phase detect AF is a great thing to have which is a feature found on DSLRs.

As regards, Canon you will find the image quality superior than the Fujifilm out of the box. That being said post-processing with even a standard software like Picasa makes the photographs standout and colour accuracy etc. can be handled at that stage easily.

For a change the Fujifilm or the canon bridge type can work as a general walkaround camera but not without it's limitations. At best for a DSLR user like yourself you can use this as a backup camera that will offer significant ease of use along with controls matching and exceeding that of a DSLR. If and when you buy such a camera, you will need to buy a separate filter or two since the lens is not changeable and the coatings on lens collect dust easily as well. But you will notice immediately that you cannot do without a DSLRs functionality and lens options for special occasions.

Alternatively, go for a 18-200mm or the 55-200mm lens along with existing kit lens that you can use more without changing lenses. Or if zoom is not a problem a good lens for travelling in cities like a very fast 50mm f1.8 that can work as a great portrait lens as well.
  9. G NaveenKumar Reddy

G NaveenKumar Reddy Timido

Vadodara
    Hyderabad
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I am lill late over here, let me start with asking you.
    Did you get new camera?
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Yes I did. A Fujifilm HS50 EXR :)