1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Guys, How do you enjoy the highway ride

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by PranavOne, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I went on a longish drive yesterday on NH 37. Here's a list of situations that I encountered while on the road -

1. Many autorickshaws on the highway crawling along. NH 37 being a double lane highway and not too wide, it was extremely difficult to overtake them as there was heavy oncoming traffic on the other lane. You somehow overtake one, there is another one few meters ahead.
    2. Bikers riding parallel to each other blocking my way. Even with heavy honking they were not ready to give way.
    3. Cows on the road. I had to come to a completer halt when a calf would just not move away. Had to literally get down and chase him off.

Four-laning of NH37 had started back in 2005 as a 30 month project. It is 2012 now and not even 10% is complete. :A
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

i just did one long trip of 1800+kms.. i did speed between 80-15k depending on the stretch. apart from that on every weekend i go to my home town. a total distance of 170km up and down.. Normally cruise between 80-120 depending on the traffic.. on fridays i prefer to skip the NH47(cochin-alleppey) as it crowded..

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Situation is not very different in Kerala as well.. bikers ride thru the center.. and do't give way.. same story with cars and heavy vehicles. really difficult to get passed them.. do or die situation.
    Instead of Cows.. we have stray dogs.. can witness lots of road kills..
    today i saw two such accidents.. lucky one escaped..
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. Satyajit

Aah the highway!... now that's where my Rafale Jet truly holds its own. Driving in the city can be very stressful and I just look forward to the next highway sojourn. Nothing for miles except green fields, magnificent hills and the wind. With just the better half for company, some music ... It's definitely my 'Zen' Moment, only to be broken by an ugly toll booth every now and then.

I'm a sedate driver and I like to maintain constant speeds, usually between 80 and 100. I've also got some decent mileage at these speeds with the turbo gurgling away. On the rare occasion, I've floored her to 150+, but in my opinion, roads in India - and more importantly, drivers - aren't equipped to handle speeds. You just never know who might want to commit harakiri all of a sudden. I'm particularly wary of truckers and those kamikaze bikers from villages along the way. Those dudes are scary.. they wouldn't think twice before cutting across or chatting away smack in the middle of the road.

Lol. This actually happened to me in my Santro a few years ago. I braked hard about 5 feet from this bovine, and it just kept coming at me as if I had intruded it's personal space. It charged ahead and head-butted, leaving a small dent on my hood. I did not dare to get off and shoo him away though... those horns looked mean.
  4. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Have done several long drives in my Santro.
    Speed : 80-100 normal; on 4-lanes rarely between 100-120, never above that.
    Always love to listen to my favourite music during drives.
    Usually cover long distances with minimal breaks, sipping water, chewing gums etc. while drving.
    My state is notorious for naxal activities, yet most of the major higways are safe to drive at night.
    I really love to drive at night. It requires a little preparation though, but you can avoid a lot of nuisances on the road.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    My regular long drive is from Bangalore-TVM 720km, and when you get 4 laned roads for 640km out of this I "average" around 100km/hr. On 2 lanes I am comfortable on 80-100km/hr.

Breaks, well depends, worst case I have driven 17hrs with 1 stop (15minutes) to just refuel my car and when we attended natures call. Usually I take a break midway for lunch or tea, means a break at 4-5hrs.

Always keep sipping water, 4ltrs will be done by 3 of us by the time we reach our destination. If I am driving after dinner I make it a point to catch hold of a bottle of Pepsi, keeps me refreshed. I am not comfortable driving at night with family, with friends I don't mind :)

AC (always ON) is set in the external intake mode, me and my son catch cold if we keep in internal recirculation mode.

Music (always ON) is set at 4-5 level, come-on I have to listen to something when I drive for 9-10hrs continuously, and of course should allow my wife and kid to talk to me while I drive.
  6. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Kindly note that I accept that I drive at speeds that are unacceptable to most people and do not wish for people to try and compete. People who let me drive their cars knew me and my driving for at least a year before handing over the keys. For family trips, speeds have been in the range of 80 to 100 kmph. Also I ask passengers about their comfort levels before I take the wheel. I have gotten off the steering wheel once as passengers wanted to run around at 80 kmph and I started feeling drowsy.

Premier Padmini (sold) – 100 to 130 kmph range.
    One really well planted vehicle which I still miss a lot.

Hyundai Santro (current) – 110 to 130 kmph range.
    It is just about average.

Hyundai I10 (belongs to a friend) – 120 to 160 kmph range.
    Ridiculous body roll (with just three people and no luggage on a recent Mumbai trip).

VW Polo 1.6 (belongs to a friend) – 100 to 140 kmph range
    Sadly we were 6 guys (4 heavier than 80 kgs) in the Polo for the recent trip to Mahabaleshwar with the boot full and there was horrendous traffic, both of which did not allow me to interact well with her. Felt better than most hatchbacks I drove, but still has a suspension setup that is soft for my liking.

Tata Safari (belongs to a friend) – 100 to 160 kmph range.
    It felt like a boat on wheels and I really would prefer to stop it there except that it can happily accommodate 6 guys and literally more than half a ton of luggage and still climb up to 160 kmph.

Maruti Alto (belongs to a friend) – 90 to 120 kmph range.
    It was a bit thirsty at 17 kms to a litre when we did a Bangalore run for the recent Metallica show. It really got my respect as I was surprised at the feedback from this car, being commendable for the price one pays to buy this car.

Maruti Swift (belongs to a friend) – 120 to 170 kmph range.
    There is nothing special or new about this car. It felt like a really good bang for your buck which behaves well. The best handling hatch I drove since the Punto is still a dream waiting to turn into reality for me. It would be amazing with a stiffer suspension setup and a wider tyre setup.

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports (belongs to my ex employer) – 140 to 200 kmph. This was something that was hard for me to believe. The pathetic low end to mid range response disappointed me to no limits. But then on the empty NH4 (into Karnataka after Kolhapur, Maharashtra) when there was a decent whine (not of the turbo, but wind and tyre noise) at around 170 kmph, I realized it could do more, it felt like heaven. It felt silent till about 140 kmph to the extent that a blindfolded person will not be able to tell the difference in 60, 80, 100, 120 and 140 kmph.

P.S. – Being an enthusiast, the list of vehicles which I have driven will include (but is not limited to) the Tata Indica, Tata Nano, I20 diesel, Volvo XC90, Fiat Siena, Tata Sumo, Maruti Ritz, Maruti Wagon R, Maruti 800, tractors (from normal to huge 4x4’s rated for 120 ton load), a 70 seater bus, a huge list of two wheelers, three wheelers (rick, auto for commercial load and a six seater) etc. (The list puts a load on my memory)

The best highway experience I remember
    Navi Mumbai to Pune in 90 mins (inclusive of a 10 min stop for 2 smokes and peeing) on a Pulsar 180 (absolute first generation Pulsar) redlining it almost all the time except for the stop.
  7. Pranveersc

Hi Friends, myname is Pran.... i really love taking long drives .... and i travel a lot ... i love to drive my Linea at 100 -120 on Highways and 50-80 in hilly areas.

i take many breaks in between long direves so that i can get some rest as well (even if i dont take break linea never let me feel tired at all)

special Note - Linea is best to drive in hill's...
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I frequent Delhi Jaipur......

I usually drive in the range of 80-110 occasionally touching > 130.........take a halt at midway behror (2.5 hrs frm Delhi ) for 20 min or so...otherwise if i am short of time i take 10 min halt for a cup of coffee......

80-110 also gives the best mileage >19kmpl :)
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  9. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Haven't done too many highway drives. But the few I did were all alone and I like it that way. Windows rolled up, AC on, no music, 100-120 if its a four lane highway with median else 80-100. I don't somehow like taking breaks. I stop only for breakfast and lunch. Never driven in the night and don't intend to either.

LOVE cornering and perversely kinda like the tyre screech sound:mischievous. But sometimes my right leg just pains like hell. Wish they had cruise control;)
    1 person likes this.
  10. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    My drive starts from Gurgaon to Jaipur..a total of 270 km one way.... and i do it in single stretch ... i don't like music at all except the same Punto grrrrr music :)

On highway i usually gets 20-21 mileage with a speed of 90-100 some time 120 but that too twice or thrice only....
    1 person likes this.