1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GT3-The Most Under Rated tire

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by linealover, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

It's quite undestandable about your urge to try a new brand of tires, especially the brands which have all the glamour attached to it such as the Michelins, Yokos etc etc (courtesy media advt. and fan following on the internet!)

Though i am not a technical person but i am keen follower of all things automobile :) , i generally try and keep a neutral opinion and then read internet articles plus browse through casual technical things to co-relate matters. And what i have come to understand regarding tires vis a vis safety is that ---

1) these michelins,yokos contis etc etc are engineered for and on their respective road conditions.
    2) -- they are optimised for dry/wet/low noise etc etc by manipulating various aspects of tire design (chemical composition derived is either for higher grip levels or more for a long life or balaced in the desired proportion between the 2) (a softer compound at times may also be a choice as one or the factors contributing better absorption of sound i.e low harsh noise)
    3) -- tread design is optimised for better aquaplaning,low noise, better grip as per company requirement for the product to be launched in a particular category.
    4) -- sidewalls are on the softer side to aid comfortable ride. (tire acts like a supplementary shock absorbers ;) )

THE FLIP SIDE ESSPECIALLY FROM THE SOFTER SIDEWALL THING IS THAT IT IS PRONE TO DAMAGE ON INDIAN ROADS (NO NEED TO MENTION WHY...YES WE ALL DONT NEED MORE THAN A SINGLE CHANCE TO GUESS WHY

i Guess the Indian manufacturers have done a excellent job over the years to produce tires which are more long lasting and are more durable (designed for our specially engineered gravel roads ;) ) comapred to the brands which we import and consume and which are obviously engineered for roads which are of a different league. ( YES they do keep contingencies in design for rough road conditions aswell but i guess their definition of a rough patch would be FAR MORE CIVILIZED THAN OURS )

Well i am suggesting this aspect of sidewall especially to you coz you are planning some long road trip :) with which you might encounter the famed off roading features brought right to your doorstep oops VEHICULAR ROADS ;) My vote goes for safety in a tire rather than for features which were never built taking our road condition parameters into equation. Yes if you purely drive at conservative speeds within city limits and some expressway stints here and there,then you can opt for softer sidewalls for comfort (not that our city road are that forgiving ;) )...but atleast u wont be stranded in middle of the road like in a long journey in a remote place.(Read the link posted below)
    Finally the choice is yours bro :) i just thought that i should share my bit of concern regarding the matter. all the best :)

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT A TECHNICAL PERSON WHATSOEVER :!: ITS JUST MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE MATTER THROUGH READING/RESEARCHING AND LOGICAL DERIVATION AND I THOUGHT I SHOULD POST IT ACROSS PURELY AS MY "POINT OF VIEW". I MAYBE GROSSLY WRONG ASWELL.

HAVE A READ AT THIS LINK BELOW -- (maybe it sheds some light on what i am trying to explain)

Continental CPC2 – just not worth it! - Team-BHP
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    6 people like this.
  2. Herbie Brother,

I liked the content of your post but it was lot taxing on eye due too much of underlining and spaces also you seem to be angry on Ramjn in the last paragraph of your post.
    -Sat
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sat, I don't mind even if he is angry ;). I am not an expert in tyres and I appreciate his opinion.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Yes Ramjn,

I must accept his post was an eye opener to me also, I was thinking about Yoko to replace my tyres at 40k kms but now i might just be contended with MRF ZLO.

Regards
    Raghu
  5. Do check for prices with Raja Tires too. Couple of my friends are regular in there and they have told me that their prices are the best. I've been there for balancing and alignment and was very impressed with their response and service.

Raja Tyres - Chennai - Team-BHP
  6. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @linealover, well the choice is all yours but why don't you consider Bridgestone Turenza/Potenza??

The opentions you are looking at are not bad but for me only Yoko is considarable. Though i heard many times that Yoko's side walls easily getting damaged! Even one of my friend having Yokos & his side wall had a blister after he hit a small pothole.

About Conti's , as saide above pran faceing dry grip problems. So dig out bit more on Conti.

And about Micheline, i know its funny & senseless but its been like that from long time in my mind that,''Michelines are good for that Japnies toy CITY only. I don't even suggest Michelines to anyone! Its always SAYONARA for them!'' :p

But yeh, do think about safety factor. Noise & other small problems can be digested but not Safety, isen't it? :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    What's the difference between Turenza and Potenza and which is better?
  8. @Tron, I'm really surprised from your opinion. I for one is totally for Michelin just because I've been using them for a prolonged period and that too in our FIAT's.

Just to give an idea:

1. Uno 1.7 D - Michelin MXTE lasted for 40k kms with 2 punctures. The hardest Michelin that I have come across.
    2. Palio 1.2 Sport - First used Michelin Certis, then it was Michelin XM1 and finally gave it XM1+. Had 2 punctures in all 3 sets put together before selling it.
    3. Palio 1.3 MJD - Michelin XM1+ from day1 and going good at over 25k kms, no punctures so far.
    4. Linea 1.3 MJD - Michelin Primacy LC from day 1 and clocked 15k till date, no punctures so far.

Do share your experiences on why you are staying away from them.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @cvanandh, i know but as i said its just my funny thought. I know many people do prefer them & had a nice review about them but as i said, its just my senseless thought!

Micheline = soft feather rubber. Some kinda this equation is just printed on my mind nothing else.

To be frank i would love to have hard componant tyres, as far as my daily
    terrain is considered.
    And now a days one more thing made me think about it is, My GT3 which are pretty hard compo tyres are about to be dead at 23k! Some 2 to 4k kms of life is left in them.
    So imagine what life Micheline might have had?

My daily commute consist of 5 kms of bad road patch. A typical industrial road!

If GT3 are giving up at lets say some 26k kms. What will happen to Micheline on same patch??

My opinion is based on this logic. Please do comment on it.
    Im surely not saying Michelines are not good but they aren't suitable for my uses, is my angle.

Hopd you understant what im trying to say. :)

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Potenza line are
    performance tires and the turenza line are
    touring tires. The performance tire (Potenza) probably has
    better grip and lateral stability, but in exchange a
    slightly harsher ride and shorter treadlife.

In short, Potenza are perforamance tyres with hi-speed, hi-performance ability.
    Where as turenza is Touring. These are bit soft & comfert oriented tyres than potenza.
    Potenza & Tureza are two different lines provided by Bridgestone.
    If you want performance - Potenza
    & If you want comfert - Turenza should be the call.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. I completely understand your point Tron. Just 23k and end of the line and I can understand your road conditions :(
    2 people like this.