1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GT3-The Most Under Rated tire

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by linealover, Apr 15, 2012.

1. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    DSC01780.JPG

DSC01783.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

DSC01782.jpg

DSC01784.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

DSC01790.JPG

now its time to change my Linea tires.it is already stretched its life.

these tires mostly spend their 70% life in highway.25%in city road and 5%in bad roads.

i have cornered @170 in a deserted tiruchy-madurai section.those who aware of this section.it has got good sweeping curves.

really a blast to drive in these section,frequently done this route couple of times.

DRY GRIP:Fantastic,its like linea on slick

i have done highway trip twice in heavy down pour,(down pour literally means someone above my car releasing tons of water all of a sudden).

i have no choice other than park in safe service road.after erratic rain i firmly assume sedate drive but a swift was nagging me for a while,

raised a ego tussle.we were doing 110 or 120 through out chennai-coimbatore.Thanks to swift!!!,who unveiled the wet grip of GT3.

GT3 hold its line throught the curves in entire journey

other heavy rain i encountered during chennai-madurai-munnar trip.

WET GRIP:wonderful to wad through water,i have hold the steering firmly otherwise steering backfires from water puddle.

now it has lost its wet grip prowess (read 45k km)

BRAkING: i have gone through two such life swallow braking.

1. when i over took a Hyundai car carrier truck (measuring 30 metre.)from left side doing 140 with 4+2 onboard & luggage.

sedate truck suddenly swears to left,only console is that face of the truck first turns before whole body.

i slammed the brake with one hand @ gear lever changed to 3rd from top gear.so panic that car sweared left and right a bit.since i am holding

one hand @ wheel.my mistake.

i have discovered a new feature during that panic braking with ABS.Hazard lights were comes on automatically.

front passengers were holding intact on their seats but back seaters were thrown forward.

SATHYA_SC T-JET behind me witnessed this emergency braking.

2.A biker came suddenly to overtake a bus which i am about to overtake,slammed the brake,it stopped in straight line

actually i never bother much about hitting or ramming,anyway we are going to hit some thing because it is going to be all of sudden,fraction of

second,but i do mind hit at relatively less speed and never swear my steering left or right to avoid obstacle.

break hard in straight line and hit the obstacle,if time is there to react then i downshift along with brake.

so full marks to dry road braking.a notch less mark to wet braking.

NEGATIVE's of GT3

1.Bumpy Ride quality,especially over concrete roads and joints.

2.uneven,unpredictable wear. after 25-30k km its very hard to balance and align the tires.

3. very high tyre noise.

punture resistance: i had only one puncture so far that too happened very next day of delivery.don't know the reason.it simply punctured.

after that no punctures yet.

STEERING FEEDBACk: fantastic,yet not consistent throughout the life

after crossing 25k i felt not heavy steering with less feed back.

STRAIGHTLINE STABILITY

ITS Rock solid.but undulations will jolt away the stability with little tram lining.

we(me &Teky) are planning to change the foot wear after kodaikanal trip.

MY choice

1.MRF ZLO (try new)
    2.Michelin XM2 (play safe)

TEkY'S CHOICE
    1.Continental CPC2

i still love GT3,yet want to experience rivals too.to be honest i have never went to the limits of this tyre.

GOOD YEAR enjoys the premium brand in Uk along with conti,michelin.

so suggestions from fellow members welcome the most.

still have one month time to think and buy.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    linealover, As I told your earlier, keeping in mind our Mega Road Trip planned for next year, my choice would be Michelin.
  3. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Exactly Ramesh!

your post has got a immense sense!

perhaps,i am sold to the grip and price of ZLO.Great work kudos to MRF Team! going to leh with performance Tyre is suicidal.

Just confirm XM2 comes with 195/60/R15.but website says there is no option.

my best bet XM2,waiting for teky's suggestion too.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Tyre noise is directly proportional to the road grip, IIRC. You have to sacrifice one of them!
    Oh, that's really great.
    In fact, I too don't find any problem with my Linea's stock tyres. In fact, I am toying with the idea of replacing with the same tyres after my Bhutan trip, by which time, my Linea would have crossed 46 k km. BTW, I find your Linea's stock tyres still have life even after 45 k km!
    3 people like this.
  5. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    Thanks sir,

you have just cleared the myth of GT3.Actually i too thought of replacing GT3 with another set of GT3.

Goodyear GT3 | the Goodyear GT3 reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

buying tyres is a tricky affair.we will come know only after we bought the tyre.

we have to die to know about heaven or hell,all user reviews have too much contradictory.

other than(team-bhpian) nikhil reviews, i don't find any honest review.

among cpc2 and GT3,GT3 outshines cpc2 with its dry grip(cpc2 based on nikhil's review)

yohohama c drive have all ingredients except vague steering that i found in teky's GTX.

michelin XM2 is new kid in the block,yet nikhil is inclined towards michelin, always.it is also touring summer tyre.

yet to prove its prowess.perhaps we can play safe with michelin. nikhil's Quote"its very hard for michelin to make bad tyre".

I have spoiled with choices yet cant find a single competent rival to match GT3.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

LL, I haven't been through many tyre brands during 17000 Kms run of my 90 HP but GT3 seems pretty intact for this span. I am surprised the way it holds itself together. Indeed that was some analysis on GT3 & surely would help people like me. It's completely different story for bigger SIZE/RIMs & reviews from the experienced is always welcome.

I personally like them for their ungodly grip & braking as you mentioned. I hardly care about tyre noise & clearly not my priority at that expense. It behaves awkward on times with some quick micro-bumps felt in the rear of the car, despite of good road conditions (but only momentary). So far so good. I think an excel sheet with brands & their corresponding selling points would be much helpful appreciated by people like me.

Infact i would suggest a master database in excel sheet with the feedback for different brands & their selling point for FIAT cars. I think we lack something like this on TFI. I am not sure if it's there already.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    2 people like this.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    3 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Goodyear is good.
    Wear and tear directly proportional to regular check and alignment of wheels say after every 5000 Kms,this might help ? and also check for wheel balancing ?

Suspension at low speeds FIAT (in my case punto)doesnt handle so good,this might be the one case of bumpy ride

A noise is noise either its a low or high,rather the noise should be defined here as irritating kind off sound,if it comes to irritation either its low or high the feeling(damn noise :D) will always remain the same.... and its hard to get the tire of noise proof.
    One should manage with the noise,the damn noise. :D
    1 person likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Linealover,

A very good thread. You have brought out the pros & cons of the GT3 very well. In fact I too am very happy with my stock GT3s. It features in my choice of replacements - though I have a while to go.

In an other thread, there was comment about Yoko C drive having soft sidewalls which are prone to easy rupture. So, reconsider Yokos.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  10. @linealover, do check out the Michelin PrimacyLC before deciding. Have that in my dad's Linea and I have gone in for 195/65 R15. More details of that in my ownership thread.
    2 people like this.