1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ground Zero MK2 GZTW 12MK subwoofer

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by dj.nish, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I have a Ground Zero MK2 GZTW 12MK subwoofer in a 1 cuft sealed enclosure. The specs are as follows:
    • Diameter: 30cm/12"
    • Power Handling: 400 WRMS
    • Impedance: 4 ohm
    • VOICE COIL: 50mm/2"
    • Excursion: C MAX, 4mm/0.55"
    • Resonance Frequency: FS 22,5 Hz
    • SPL: 86,7 dB
    I was running this off 2 bridged channels of my Blaupunk GTA4 MKII amp, which was supplying it with 160-175 watts rms (I think). However, this was in a hatchback and was perfectly acceptable to me.

Now I wish to install this sub in my sedan (Linea). So:
    1. Is the existing amplifier sufficient to power it?
    2. If I'm going for a 2 channel amplifier, what should be the minimum acceptable RMS power output that I should look for?
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    In #1, by existing amplifier do you mean the existing amplifier in Linea or the one that was in your hatchback. If it is referring to your hatchback amp, then it should serve the purpose - you may feel that a slight reduction in the power as the dimensions are more

If you mean the existing Linea amp, then I do not think that it will be able to support your subwoofer
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Anything between 300-350 @2 ohms wrms should be good.
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    @Speedjet - Correct me if I'm wrong - when did I say there was any existing amplifier in the Linea? I dont think TJet rolls out with a factory fitted amp! Of course we are talking about the Blaupunkt amp which was in-my-hatchback-but-now-uninstalled. THAT's the ONLY existing amp.
    Thanks. I guess you meant 300-350 @4 ohms?

How's Kenwood 7205? I was leaning towards Auditor 2380, but had bad experience with it's 4 channel cousin twice, so dissuaded from it now.
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is your sub SVC or DVC, u can power it bith ways at 2ohms or at 4ohms if its a SVC, but if its DVC then it will need power at 2 ohms, as your sub's imp. is 4 ohms.
    On second thought why not a mono amp.

I do not have any experience with the 7205 but I have been using a kenwood 8401 for 3 years(and still going strong, tht too a used one) and never ever faced any issues. A friend of mine runs id ctx comps on a kenny 4 channel and 2 x id ctx subs on a kenny mono and to be honest those two amps perform very well with no overheating or tripping problems.
    Its been more than 2 years and those amps are still running like new, even after being bough of the grey market.
    So on the whole my experince with kenwood amps has remained excellent and similarly think the 7205 would also fare well.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Jasveen, actually even I was thinking of a mono to begin with. But I feel ClassA/B (stereo) circuitry is more efficient than a Class D. Also, the bass in a mono is kinda raw. I prefer the stereo option.
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Efficiency is indeed more but not something that can be heard/understood easily. As for stereo and mono that can be switched from the hu aswell so might take care of that issue aswell. Also note a 2c channel when running in bridged node will be under more stress as compared to a mono
  8. absahu

absahu

Bangalore
    Nishant you have a Tjet. Can u share your ICE details.
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    1. Headunit - JVC KD-R926BT
    2. Connects2 CTSFA004 steering interface
    3. Front stage : Illusion Electra EL 6.1 components
    4. Rear stage : coaxials to go in door (yet to decide)
    5. Ampflier for all 4 speakers : Blaupunkt GTA4 Special
    6. Subwoofer : Ground Zero MK2
    7. Amplifier for sub : Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 mono
    8. Damping : yet to decide
    9. Cabling : yet to decide
    10. OEM Fiat fascia panel
  10. absahu

absahu

Bangalore
    Hey thats interesting So when did you buy your car and where are u basically from? That looks too good and where are you doing this...Fiat fascia panel how expensive is that?