1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ground Clearence Upgrade - 2010 Linea

Discussion in 'Linea' started by manjunathkl, Dec 28, 2015.

1. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    THE CAR:
    I have 2010 Linea Baby packed with emotion that drinks petrol.

THE ISSUE:
    I have always enjoyed Linea's planted ride and always boasted of its handling and cornering abilities with little/no body roll. Once in a while when I drove on bad patches, I used to get the unnerving scrapes. My heart used to sink every time the scrape happened. I read a lot on how to avoid them and learnt to maneuver over bad patches carefully.

On one of my services in 2013, service adviser told me about GC (Ground clearance) upgrade kit. I was very skeptical, thinking it would spoil the stance. Another concern was the handling. I was convinced that low slung cars will handle well compared to tall cars, due to center-of-gravity. Didn't want to risk that by paying money. So, I backed off. Till 2015, I managed the problem by driving carefully and reducing the number of scrapes.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 28, 2015 ---
    MARKET CHANGE:
    Then came the revolution in monocoq mini-SUV era, the duster/eco-sport/terrano/avventura era. My bro picked up a Terrano. Superb ride, amazing handling and the best part - 205mm GC - no chance of scraping. My bro races on bad patches without any fear. I was now puzzled. I always thought the center-of-gravity is the main criteria for a car's planted ride. But I guess, if you engineer cars well enough, you can over come the high center-of-gravity problem. Now, my mind started wandering should I change to a mini-SUV. Whenever I had the thought, I compared Linea with all these mini-SUVs. Duster/Terrano had the space, handling, comparable to Linea, but lacked the creature comforts and ergonomics. Eco-sport, Avventura was good on creature comforts but reduced boot space. TUV didn't cut it because it was not monocoq, XUV is expensive. I was sure not to compromise on anything that my Linea offers. Creta came along, but its typical-hyundai video game steering (EPS) is not for my taste. S-cross looks like a sedan from front and over-sized hatch at the back. Even if I liked any of these mini-SUVs, they did not match value of money like Linea. All in all, no other cars completely match or over-take Linea in all departments at the same price point.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 28, 2015 ---
    RECONSIDERATION & DECISION:
    Nov 2015, I remembered the GC Kit offered on Linea/Punto. It would up the GC from 165 to 185 (20mm or 2cm). Started to think again - should I get upgraded. But was not sure - 2cm will make a difference. Another 2 scrapes on some moon craters and Everest humps of Bangalore, I made-up my mind to either upgrade the GC or get a mini-SUV. I started the comparo on GC. Linea 185mm(after upgrade), Duster/Terrano/Avventura - 205mm, Eco-sport - 200mm, Creta - 190mm. The difference between Linea and Mini-SUV GC was 5 to 20mm. Cost: GC Upgrade +/- 15K vs. Mini-SUV +/- 8L. Cost-benefit analysis clearly tipped towards GC upgrade. But wanted to be sure that GC upgrade would really solve the problem. Started to look at TFI and TBHP for minimum GC required. After lot of reading, figured that 175mm would eliminate 90% of scrapes. So that’s a confirmation that 185mm is more than enough. Then wanted to check if ride-handling will remain good. Very few posts were there of who did the upgrade. But sure enough got a positive feedback on ride and handling as well as solution to scraping. Dec 2015 - Finally, took the decision to upgrade. Checked the service centers, luckily the nearest service center had the kit in stock. Booked for service, dropped my baby in the morning, evening I got a call that it is ready. Service adviser said anti-rollbar did not need a change, just the shocks and the springs. Cost INR 15.7K.

RESULTS:
    Finally, took a look at my baby, instantly recognized the change in height from all directions. It is amazing that a mere 2cm increase will make such visible change. Also, from being afraid whether it will spoil the stance to actually better stance. Yes the wheel well gap looks a bit over-sized now, but I guess we will get used to it over time. I somehow feel with the increased height, it also enhanced its already awesome road-presence. I was getting anxious to check the ride and handling. Got behind the wheel, started to go out of the service center. Immediately, to my surprise, I noticed the superb tuning of the new suspension. The ride has become a tad stiffer (I guess it is to compensate the height increase and keep the superb handing), but not too stiff to make it any bumpy. Handling is noticeably better. It can corner even better now, no increase in the body roll. That is some engineering prowess that Fiat can brag about. 5*s for Fiat engineering for that. Went on patches that used to scrape even little faster, NO SCRAPES... Peace of mind. Bliss. So, waiting to take my baby on long drives.

SUMMARY:
    Cost: 15.7K (For Diesel it is slightly expensive). Solved the scraping issue, improved stance, improved handling, no compromise on ride. A big smile on the face. Anyone having pre-2012 Linea/Punto that are annoyed with scraping, please get the upgrade. It will really solve the issue and also better the value in some areas.
  2. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @manjunathkl nice to see that you validated the financial options as well before taking the plunge. Enjoy your ride, to give you additional assurance I too am on the new GC and it is a definitely great peace of mind.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    manjunathkl likes this.
  3. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks for the assurance. It gives me pleasure to say no other sedan that is sold today comes with this GC. Staying in India with un-engineered roads/no roads, it makes absolute sense to have this kind of GC. SX4 was the only car that had 180mm (VXI, LXI) and 190mm (ZXI) GC when it was launched in 2009. The 2012 model, they brought it down by 10mm on all variants. But then SX4 itself got culled due to bad sales. 180-190mm GC is not required for hatchbacks and compact sedans as their wheelbase is shorter.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    I went for a 850Km long drive to western ghats. National highway with tolls, state highways, ghat sections - almost all types of asphalt. The superb handling sans any body roll. This is the car to be in always. I can confidently say, the GC upgrade has enhanced the already awesome value of Linea. The slightly stiffer suspension, does add to fearless cornering without compromising any comfort. Steering as always was giving superb feedback. Drove all the way and back, did not share the steering with the other driver in the car. Blue n me kept us entertained. Simply awesome drive. Just love my beauty even more.
    Saji Babu and PradeepM like this.
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations! My relative too did the same to his 2009 MJD and is quite happy with the result.

I am curious to know, how did you arrive at the figure of 175mm and 90%?
  6. manjunathkl

manjunathkl Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    @limraj I read tons of reviews, road tests of similar wheelbase cars. Plenty of reviews mentioned, 165mm (standard GC for sedans) for this wheelbase is going to scrape in Indian roads. Many suggested 175 will be 1cm up and will avoid 90% of scrapes. The logic is = if the speed breakers and pot holes were big enough to scrape 175mm GC, other sedans will not just scrape but will damage the sump etc. In real life, by and large everyone escapes with a scrape. So 175 is the just-enough GC to avoid scrape. 185mm is even better. Infact Scross has just 180mm and no one complained about it scraping anywhere.
    limraj likes this.
  7. Nia

Nia Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Hi all

I was quoted a price of 17 k for GC in Jay vijay auto Pune
    Since I have a CNG installed in my car, it's more prone to scraping speedbrrakers
    This is pretty annoying specially when you are driving in Pune where breakers just mock all the norms of Indian road Congress

we had a swift just last year which served good 1l kms out of which 65k on CNG and we had small issue where tyre was pretty close to inner part of wheel arch, we realised that it needed a better GC -
    1000 RS rubber pad did the job well

Now when I bought this pre owned beauty there was same issue since previous owner didn't realise what a small rubber pad kit can do specially after installing CNG tank
    Costed me 1100 this time and only 30 mins job and now I am trouble free from car breakers... Errr speed breakers !

Additionally k realised that not much damage was done by the scrapping and most of the scraps were on body and not in any part as there is a metal protection beneth it
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. mistrvi

mistrvi Timido

Pune, Mumbai
    PUNE
    Linea 1.4
    hi Nia,

i have 2009, Fiat linea Emotion and recently i have upgraded with sequential CNG kit.

Now i face same old problem of GC.
    i went through your post and was surprise to hear that rubber pad cost only 1100/- as one of my mechanic told me that it would go upto 2500/- and fitting cost of 500/-.

From your post i came to know that you are in Pune so could you please guide me from where can i get those rubber pad and good mechanic who can do installation. you can drop me message vijraj11@gmail.com or 9096318726.

Br, Vijay
  9. Nia

Nia Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    This place is at Chandan nagar, if you are driving from kharadi then it's the second petrol pump (this guy's does the shock up work primarily at the back of petrol pump) I reckon his name is Johny.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2016
  10. mistrvi

mistrvi Timido

Pune, Mumbai
    PUNE
    Linea 1.4
    I searched but couldn't locate him:(. do you have any other landmark or his contact no. or his garage name :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016