1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Grinding noise when shifting to 3rd gear

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ranconteur, May 18, 2014.

1. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Hi All ,

Off late I am experiencing a grinding noise in my punto transmission whenever I shift to 3rd gear (it happens from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd as well) . Researching on this I found it may be possible due to synchro rings going bad . So if that's the case , I want to know whether synchro rings are covered in Extended Warranty ?

Note : I don't feel any problem with the clutch as my car's running on a new clutch set (changed at 88k kms).

Punto 2010 1.3 (90k kms on odo) .

Thanks,
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Should be covered if your service history is perfect. You have a stronger case since you got your clutch plates replaced recently.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    It should be covered under extended warranty if not it would cost 1k for synchronizer ring, 1.5k as labor charges (vary city to city) and gearbox oil 1.1k.
    More parts may require replacement after opening gearbox and checking wear.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Not sure if this is the correct thread - but for my TJet slotting into the reverse gear makes noise sometimes (thud/tak/grind). Also, the slotting into reverse takes some efforts and some times it does not slot. Is this normal? My warranty is about to expire - I have shown at multiple FASS/TASS in past 1 year and everyone says that it is normal because the slotting into reverse is cable based
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Slot reverse gear after the clutch have been pressed for more than 2 secs it would slot nicely than if not clutch problem.
  6. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    I think its mostly clucth only , May be something in fitting , the grinding noise can also occur when clucth is not able to disangagee properly
    When we reaplace clucth kit - it consist of clucth , plate , pressure plate and release bearing BUT it does not consist of clucth master/slave cylinder