1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

grinding noise from front left wheel area

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Dec 18, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I recently started to hear some griniding noise from the front left wheel area..
    I hear this whenever i brake .(Hard braking and gradual braking, either way i hear this noise)...
    As far as i can tell its coming only from the front left and no where else.
    I checked the tyre to see if there is anything rubbing against it but could not find anything...
    My brake pads still have lots of life left so i ruled out a brake pad issue...

Any ideas of what might be causing this noise?
    I've not faced any handing or braking issue because of this noise.
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Two things may be the reason. One, there may be a week link in the suspension. Second dust forming on the brake pads. Put in TASC. If there is dust formed in the brake pads they will clean it. I too had such issue on the right front and it is not coming now. See my posts in KHT Motors thread.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm.. that makes sense.. anyway my car is due service .. I'm thinking of going there this weekend. I will update after that..
  4. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    the most possible cause might be a wornout strut pads,,, Fiat has brought out wth a modified one....i too had a similar prob, i got it replaced.
  5. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    Is it coming while the car is stationary and your just turning the wheels, check if it is happening as said.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Its more of a subtle virbration that i can feel is not normal than any sound ....
    I feel this only when I"m braking.
    Yesterday i rotated my tyres and the probelm seems to have dissapeared.
    I will update once i have better understanding .

But when i took it to the mechanic he said this could mostly be becuase of an uneven rotor wear.

PS:: slightly OT,
    do i have to get balancing done when i move the tyres from front to back?
    How about alignment? (I dont see any pull after rotation... infact the little amounts that i had earlier also seem to have vanished to an extent)