1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Greetings TFi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Harwin, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Harwin

Harwin Timido

Mylapore
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.4
    Hello all! It is going to be awesome hanging out with you all, since I'm soon going to be a proud owner of an Avventura. This is going to be my first 4-wheeler and I'm sure I made the right choice.

I am a sucker for vehicles giving me the most driving/riding pleasure in a budget. I don't care about the other bells n' whistles, so people call me old-fashioned. I just want a runner that should make me feel out of this world whenever I ride/drive it. My first and only motorcycle is an Apache RTR 180 and it is indeed a very well-made product that justifies the price, with which I've almost zero regrets (except for the occasional rough ride at certain RPMs). It is almost 6 years old now and I don't plan to let her go away from me during my lifetime. Call me crazy, but I love her that much. So, you may now know what I'd look for in a machine with 4 wheels too - The undying relationship!

So, when I started the hunt for my first car. I had only a single lock-on and that was on the Ford Fiesta 1.6. But, unfortunately, Ford decided to trash that beauty. So, the next best thing was the Ford Figo (Old), which showed great potential for the price. I almost zeroed in on that and I didn't look elsewhere. During the time I took to save up enough money to make the purchase, Ford has managed to sell all the old Figos within a matter of days. I think the more eager drivers didn't waste time setting their sights on one of the last Fords with a hydraulic steering unit. Thus, my heart was broken and I went on checking for used cars, thinking that no other product from any other brand will have exceptional driving dynamics, at least in India. I felt like I belong to those endangered species, who can never own the kind of car that they really want to own. Till then, I had no idea about FIAT and their products.
    Every once in a while, I used to ask my friends and acquaintances about FIAT. I received only the common "STAY AWAY" sign from them.
    But one drowsy day, when I was literally feelin' hopeless, I met a man in the form a customer, who is a petrol-head. I shared my plight with him and to my surprise, he was so instant in realizing my exact wants and nearly shouted - "Why not a FIAT?!?!?!". Then....it all went uphill at an exponential rate and I'm now rooting for an Avvy.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 24, 2015 ---
    As far as engines go, always a petrol lover. So, I thought the FIRE 1.4 Active would be my best shot, as that is about how much I could stretch my budget, which was originally fixed up over the petrol Figo.

I'm happy with all the things the Avventura is going to give me. I chose it over the EVO for the looks, bad roads munching ability, less chrome, "orange" colour, bigger 1.4 engine for a cheaper price, heavier chassis, which I assume that it would get me closer to sedan-like planted feeling on the road and the simple fact that it is a newer release.

So, it is just that a few things have been bothering me. I'll list them out here;

1) I always consider only sedans to be the proper format for cars. So, I kinda hated hatchbacks until I was bowled over by the looks of Avvy. Tell me people, am I losing a big chunk of something that is fundamentally right only on sedans by going with the Avventura? I heard the weight distribution on hatches are very imbalanced. So...should I take a look at the Linea Classic too?

2) The old workhorse - 1.4 FIRE. I have been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about it. Kindly straighten it out for me. I don't need a top-of-the-line hot hatch. But the engine should be formidable in its own right.

3) FIAT's service and parts availability. Any comments on them and how the scenarios here in Chennai is like?

4) Avventura in a word! :D
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Welcome @Harwin to TFI! Congratulations for selecting the Avventura!! Let me try to clear up the air here :)
    1. I have heard this for the first time. Avventura is more modern , unless you want boot , ignore classic.
    2. 1.4 Fire is a decent performer, not a scorcher by any means, but with good cruising ability.
    3. Banglore and Chennai are the best places to maintain the Fiat. So chill, :)
    4. Avventura = Awesome!

Buy it soon and start an ownership thread!
  3. Harwin

Harwin Timido

Mylapore
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.4
    I intend to. Thanks for your reply! :)
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harwin: Bro 1.4 is an under estimated engine. You have made the right choice. It is modest in city limits (with better drivability when compared to MJD) and on the highway it's a proper rockstar. It sounds and performs really well on higher RPMs. Enjoy :)
    prabhjot and Harwin like this.
  5. Harwin

Harwin Timido

Mylapore
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.4
    :happy:Thanks for the confidence boost!
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    BTW what is the price difference between Avvy 1.4 active and Punto 1.4 emotion (after considering discounts, even though Petrol fiats dont attract as much as discount as their diesel siblings do)? If its not a lot I would recommend you to go for Punto as it comes with all the bells and whistles and safety features. Also, its handling would trump that of Avvy (marginally) due to lower GC.
  7. Harwin

Harwin Timido

Mylapore
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.4
    My budget maxes out at a little under 7 lakhs and the Punto Emotion 1.4 was crossing 7.5 lakhs and above. Our dealers weren't ready to offer me a big enough discount like what I got for Avvy (6.5 and going down :p).
    PradeepM likes this.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harwin : your love towards the bike is justified when you own an apache! a true handling machine with great punch of power.
    As you have narrowed down on a petrol car, why not an avventura Tjet ? or if you are particular about a sedan why not a Linea Tjet.
    if you have heard mix review of 1.4 FIRE im sure you would have heard awesome stories of 1.4 TJET as well. Give it a try.
    Harwin likes this.
  9. Harwin

Harwin Timido

Mylapore
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.4
    Deepak, it is because I cannot afford to break out of my budget. Those TJet beasts are over 8L at least.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Harwin,
    Hatchbacks like Punto are fundamentally, even better than most hatchbacks..:joyful::p Honestly..!:wideyed:
    Fire is good, but if you can manage a Tjet Active, you will be much more happy, and a sedan if you wish, then do buy a sedan.
    Or Avvy is good too. The Tjet Avvy should be your choice. Or a used very well kept Linea Tjet Emotion, with very low ODO at a slight premium in used car market.
    Harwin likes this.