1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Greetings from a T-Jet Lover!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by maheshvpy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Hello everyone,

My first post on the Team FIAT form so starting off with my introduction.

Little bit about me:
    I'm a Sr. Manager in an IT firm, currently living in Bangalore with my nuclear family (myself, wife and daughter). Apart from my job, I’m very passionate about cars and vivid follower of Indian automobile scene. I also do lot of reading, love electronics and follow the game of cricket.

Automobiles owned in family:
    Yezdi mini (250cc) – our fist automobile and learned driving on it, Hero Honda CD 100, Hero Honda Splendor, Classic Pulsar 150, Hyundai Santro Xing, Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol, Honda Accord V6 (I owned it in the US) and Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 petrol. I have driven plenty of other cars on rent and owned by friends.

What I'm driving now:
    Hip Hop Black Fiat Linea T-JET, bought on Aug-29-2014.

Our journey towards buying Linea T-JET:
    Last year (mid 2013) we moved back from US and we have started looking for a petrol hatchback with 7L price cap for my daily commute to office and occasional weekend drives. Our primary considerations were: maximum safety, solid build quality, spacious, fun to drive and preferably should have HPS similar to that of Santro.

We had shortlisted and test driven the following petrol hatchbacks but dropped them due to the reason stated next to each:
    • Maruti Suzuki Swift – dropped due to flimsy build
    • Volkswagen Polo – dropped due to medicore/unrefined 3 cylinder engine
    • Skoda Fabia – dropped due to medicore/unrefined 3 cylinder engine
    • Ford Figo – dropped since we already had one in family
    • Hyundai i20 – dropped since we already had a Santro and wanted try a non-Hyundai car
    • Fiat Punto – dropped since only 1.2L was available for test drive and was not satisfied with performance
    • Nissan Micra, Renault Pulse – somehow both the cars did not interest us
    • Honda Brio – dropped since it was too small and interiors were just okay
    We also test drove below diesel hatchbacks just in case:
    • Volkswagen Polo – dropped due to noisy 3 cylinder engine
    • Skoda Fabia – dropped due to medicore 3 cylinder engine
    • Ford Figo – liked the drive but dropped due to my wife’s insistence on not having another Figo in family
    • Fiat Punto MJD – liked it and kept it on hold due to OTR price for top end model was crossing 8.5L and 90HP was crossing 9L
    By now we had spent close to 3-4 months in new car search and my daughter has started to refuse to come to cars showrooms any more. We were driving my father’s car (Santro) so we needed to get it back to hometown for him. Meanwhile Hyundai has launched Grand i10. We checked it out and liked it very much on all the aspects for the price except for its steering. I took a test drive with my father at hometown; he quite liked all the gizmos it offered plus the tallboy stand and roomy interior. So we had decided to buy it for him and kept the Santro with us as a stopgap solution. The plan was to sell Santro once we find the new car. However, I was spoiled by Santro’s HPS, zippy 4 cylinder petrol engine and the ease of drive in city with its tall stand and all round visibility and I couldn’t honestly conclude on any new car on these aspects. So, I had put the car search aside undecidedly however the only car kept crossing my mind was Punto MJD and I kept looking it at on roads, while crossing showrooms.

Come June 2014, it was almost a year and there were ads on TOI on huge discounts on Fiat cars. We decided to check it out again (honestly I dragged my wife to Fiat showroom to drool on Punto again). We then learned that the discounts on 2013 Linea’s were huge – 1L. My wife now pushed me to take a closer look at Linea under the pretext that we had been driving small a hatchback for a year now and it was time to upgrade to a sedan. We had a closer look at the 2013 Linea and were thoroughly impressed with its solid build, superb paint quality, chick interiors, confortable back seat and large trunk space. By now, I had already done lot of reading on Fiats in the last 1 year and on Linea as well especially the rave reviews on T-JET and had it in the back of my mind this was probably the car I needed.

We came back home with the price list of Punto and Linea; dilly-dallied a lot for few days and decided take a plunge on a sedan. By now during last one year I had already checked out most the sedans during my showroom visits in terms of build quality, interior looks and space. So, we had shortlisted only Vento, Rapid, City and Linea T-JET as the cars to take closer look decided to go with one among these after taking test drives.
    • Vento – I had already test driven both petrol and diesel versions during my hatchback search. Thought about it and decided drop it primarily due to its joy stick kind of steering and higher price tag for diesel versions. Petrol car had nothing special to offer
    • City – My office college has it and offered me test drives couple of times. Dropped it after thoroughly checking it out. Did not find it lot of fun to drive and build quality, futures were not a match to Linea
    It finally came down to Rapid TDI and Linea T-JET. I dropped Linea MJD due to smaller 1.3 engine though I took a test drive of it too.

Took multiple test drives of Rapid and T-JET and finally T-JET won my heart due to its supremely calibrated hydraulic power steering, solid feel of the ride complimented by its fantastic suspension, all 4 wheel disk brakes and the smooth turbo charged petrol engine that was superb to drive. The fantastic looks, 16” alloy wheels and 1L discount were icing on the cake. Linea has its own shortcomings (terrible wind noise after 100km/h speed, tightly spaced footwell, lack of interior utility space) but no car is 100% perfect, isn’t it?

Our color choice was Tuscan wine but it was not available in 2013 stock. Of the remaining 4 colors (pearl white, minimal gray aka silver, oceanic blue and hip hop black) we decided to choose between blue and black. After many visits to stock yard, service center to see the cars in person and spending lot of nights in googling Linea pictures we finally booked Hip Hop Black and took the delivery on Aug 29th. I must say that we are pretty happy with our color choice now, it really looks like a car worth the million bucks.

DSC_0685.JPG
    (Picture of my T-JET taken during our recent trip to Nandi Hills, Bangalore)

The car had a manufacturing date of 30th January and had arrived at dealer stock yard in April 2014. I have to say that we took a chance on a 7 month old (new) car however the Linea was on top shape and we took the delivery after a thorough PDI at the stock yard. We have clocked 7800 happy kms so far and T-JET continues to excite us as she did on day 1 of our ownership.

That’s all for now. I wanted write a short introduction about me but guess I ended up writing a long story on my car. Hope you liked reading it.

I wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2015 and looking for interacting with you all on this great forum.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    limraj, pabhishek, Ganges and 7 others like this.
  2. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Welcome aboard Mahesh! Very well written introduction post.

Nice to hear you are happy with your T-Jet. It is fantastic car to own it its segment.
    I suggest you to start ownership thread with loads of photos.

Once again welcome to TFI Family. :)
    dadasaheb likes this.
  3. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats Mahesh! Enjoy the drives. Black looks elegant and I was also thinking to get this color but dropped it as it would have required a lot of care to maintain the gloss. How's the color looking now on your Jet? Any special things you follow to maintain the gloss. Do write a detailed ownership review to keep the passion flowing.

7800 Kms covered in 4 months is a decent run compared to mine of 2980 Kms in 3 months. I wish my office was little far from my home giving me an opportunity to clock more Kms. ;)

We are counting TJets on this forum and it would be great if you could update your entry on http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/lets-count-the-linea-tjets-at-the-tfi.931/page-52. Current count stands at 159!
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mahesh,warm welcome to TFI.The photo is fantastic.Enjoy your jet and keep posting in TFI.
  5. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Welcome to the family. As an owner of TJet, wish you many long years of joy.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @maheshvpy

Welcome man, loved your crisp narration of how and why you zero-ed in on the Linea t-jet. The reasoning process is like a funnel that does inevitably (or should!) end with this brilliant car, worth so much more than it costs, a rare thing in the market, no?

cheers
  7. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Welcome to TFI @maheshvpy !
    Congrats for the gem of a car. Happy Tjetting!
  8. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Welcome aboard @maheshvpy. T-Jet is an excellent choice in that segment. Congrats for a wonderful choice, and HHB Linea looks simply awesome. Wish you many happy & safe mile crunching on T-Jet. Waiting for detailed ownership thread and snaps.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Thank you. Yes, I will plan to start the ownership thread soon.

Thanks Saket. Yes black color is tough to maintain. I use dry duster to remove the dust once in a week and wash/wax it in once in a month at 3M. The gloss finish is holding up well on Linea. My daily commute (round trip) to office is only 10 kms; I calculated 1000 kms monthly usage and hence went for petrol. However I'm doing more weekend trips on T-Jet now and clocking nearly 2000 kms a month. Pleasure comes at price so I'm not minding the petrol bills. I've registered my entry in the T-Jet thread. I'm 160th member.

Thanks Sandip

Thank you.

Thank you. I completely agree with you. T-Jet indeed is a brilliant car and its price makes it an absolute VFM. I must say the Linea is the most underrated car in India.

Thanks Abhishek

Thanks Mangesh. Yes, I will start a ownership thread soon. I'm trying few DYI options to arrest the gap between driver side rear view mirror & window mirror to reduce the wind noise and hopefully I will find something to post it on the ownership forum.
    prabhjot and Saket Sidana like this.
  10. karthikk

karthikk Timido

Bangalore
    Hi Mahesh,

Welcome to the T Jet club. Fantastic car to possess.